• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Walsall

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Wallsall

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Walsall
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, January 14, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 14, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I also think despite their good form, like most teams they probably see coming to PP as a real test so are happy with a point and will always start with that approach. Even at 0-0 there was a fair amount of game management which you can’t blame them (Scott Davies wrote a book on it!).
They were a typical Flynn team. Time wasting and playing the officials from the tenth minute.

ADD

Player
Norwood
I’ve watched their goal back a few times now and I think hewlet came off his line too quickly. It made Johnson’s mind up to lob it over him when defenders were getting back. Perhaps a bit critical but I suspect if Doohan had done the same he would have been criticised
Yes definitely a bit critical there Sparky!

If you watch it back it is just shocking defending. Turnbull misses it when he goes for it and Davies completely loses his man. He is then clean through on goal. Cogley is only man in line but other side of box so never going to get there so if Hewelt stays on his line then he has time to take several touches and shoot whenever he wishes. Think it is just a well taken finish personally.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Good performance all round I felt- just lacking that clinical touch. 2 points from last 2 home games a poor return for 2 performances that were much improved. Shame.

Also have to say how impressed I was with Burton who finally got decent minutes and credit to MM for bringing him on when Mumbongo was injured. I had not expected he would. Surprised no comments on how his lovely flick into space for Hemmings led to the Monthe sending off and the free kick that Hawkes scored from. Also looking back at the game several times he is in good space in the box but not found. With time Hawkes, Merrie and Morris would spot him.

One swallow does not make a summer I get that as others have pointed out that but Saturday's showing confirms to me that he should definitely have been played more this season alongside Hemmings. Far more pace than Nevitt and to me clearly better at finding space as he been profesionally coached all his career albeit lacks the physicality of Nevitt and Mumbongo of course. We need a new forward of course still but when he arrives (assuming he does) I hope Burton does not disappear from view never to be seen again as pace is what hurts defenders and he has it.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Agreed fully. Burton showed something new and that pass was excellent. Unlike Hawkes who stuffed up two such openings recently and mainly is limited to blasting shots. Excepting Hemmings himself, Morris and Merrie, Tranmere barely have a cutting pass in them. O'Connor loops crosses, Cogley hits crosses that need a presence in the box which is rarely there. Bristow can wing them in to no effect yet. Lewis can see the pass but struggles to have the balance to complete it. Nevitt had none and Glatzel couldn't stay on long enough to make them.
It is depressing to see people judge players they have never seen on goals and assists. Chances and telling passes data would show you, Hemmings completes them well and Tranmere create very few respectively.
If opponents are drilled to watch for the limited danger signs then Tranmere are easily defended. Don't give Morris room, mark Hemmings back and front when Cogley crosses, don't let Hawkes step inside and shoot and only watch for channel passing from Merrie. Burton may add something new to that especially after the defender has been street fighting Mumbongo

Player
Manager
John King
Burton clearly was not offering as much as Nevitt in his appearances earlier in the season. It is easy to rewrite history, but Saturday's game was the first occasion that he really made an impression in general play in a first team game and he has actually played the full ninety minutes on a few occasions previously, in addition to his sub appearances.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes definitely a bit critical there Sparky!

If you watch it back it is just shocking defending. Turnbull misses it when he goes for it and Davies completely loses his man. He is then clean through on goal. Cogley is only man in line but other side of box so never going to get there so if Hewelt stays on his line then he has time to take several touches and shoot whenever he wishes. Think it is just a well taken finish personally.
It is a definite error by Hewelt. If he stays on his line the goal does not happen as the defenders had time to recover and Johnson would have been forced to shoot from a tight angle. You would have criticised Doohan for doing the same.

Hewelt will be OK, just as Doohan was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boz

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
That surprised me so looked again, simply not true. Cogley who probably plays him on at the flick is six yards wide of him but he has lost the rest. So he has a clear passage whatever. Hewelt made it difficult but it was a good finish and I guess he was likely to slot it if needed with Hewelt on his line.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think Hewlet could have done better by staying put but to be fair it was a big game for him so a few nerves possibly.

i did notice however he does like to be off his line. First half we had a corner and I jokingly said to my daughter he looks like he’s going up for it as he was walking right to the half way line. Also when they were passing in their own half and we pressed high he was on the edge of his box. It may be something that is coached to help him deal with any through balls easier. Doohan may have done the same but it was something I noticed but maybe because I was giving him special attention given it was his first proper game.

As I say I don’t want to be too critical. Most keepers at this level (and higher levels), make the odd mistake.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is depressing to see people judge players they have never seen on goals and assists. Chances and telling passes data would show you, Hemmings completes them well and Tranmere create very few respectively.
I broadly agree with the rest of your analysis but don’t get this. You don’t explicitly say who’s judging which player, but the timing suggests it might relate to the possible signing of Logan Chalmers? I don’t think there’s been a great deal of judging, other than clarifying he was a winger rather than a striker and adjusting expectations accordingly. I’ve certainly enjoyed the clips others have posted of his skill. Chalmers aside, while I agree that goals and assists don’t tell the whole picture, any player who is scoring plenty or setting up lots of chances converted by team-mates must be doing something right!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Jake Burton’s use or lack of, has been a running theme through the season. I felt he’d done enough in the Grimsby game to be worth a chance when we were chasing the game at Crewe and the fact that Micky’s post match comments implied he’d quickly disregarded that as an option were disappointing. Like others, I was surprised Burton was brought on with Mumbongo’s injury given his previous lack of opportunity. He coped better with the big physical side that Walsall are than expected and contributed to a decent team performance. Hope he gets more chances to show what he can do.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I broadly agree with the rest of your analysis but don’t get this. You don’t explicitly say who’s judging which player, but the timing suggests it might relate to the possible signing of Logan Chalmers? I don’t think there’s been a great deal of judging, other than clarifying he was a winger rather than a striker and adjusting expectations accordingly. I’ve certainly enjoyed the clips others have posted of his skill. Chalmers aside, while I agree that goals and assists don’t tell the whole picture, any player who is scoring plenty or setting up lots of chances converted by team-mates must be doing something right!
It wasn't specific to this site certainly not about Chalmers. It is a general modern theme, even people who watch matches ignore what is happening and just look at crude stats. The overwhelming factor is Tranmere do not create good chances, apart from at Crewe where about six week's worth went begging!!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
On Hewelt and the goal, there are arguments both ways, but my own view was by coming off his line, he makes the decision for Johnson to go for the lob. If he stays on the line, then Johnson is likely to take the ball closer in, giving him a better chance of scoring unchallenged, but also more chance of one of our defenders making it awkward for the striker. I don’t think it was a howler and Hewelt generally did well in a game which was a relatively quiet start to what looks likely to be an extended run in the team.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On Hewelt and the goal, there are arguments both ways, but my own view was by coming off his line, he makes the decision for Johnson to go for the lob. If he stays on the line, then Johnson is likely to take the ball closer in, giving him a better chance of scoring unchallenged, but also more chance of one of our defenders making it awkward for the striker. I don’t think it was a howler and Hewelt generally did well in a game which was a relatively quiet start to what looks likely to be an extended run in the team.
Certainly not a howler although you wonder if Doohan had done it then more criticism would have come his way. The walsall keepers error was more of a howler as he should have kept the free kick out

Anyway we move on

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It wasn't specific to this site certainly not about Chalmers. It is a general modern theme, even people who watch matches ignore what is happening and just look at crude stats. The overwhelming factor is Tranmere do not create good chances, apart from at Crewe where about six week's worth went begging!!
Fair point, though with Rovers, if Hemmings stayed in and around the box a bit more then he’d be better placed, given his finishing ability, to cover those opportunities coming his way.

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Certainly not a howler although you wonder if Doohan had done it then more criticism would have come his way. The walsall keepers error was more of a howler as he should have kept the free kick out

Anyway we move on
I didn’t think the Walsall keeper’s mistake was anywhere close to the one Doohan made v Sutton, he was diving having seen the ball as it came through the wall whereas Ross had a clearer view. Though neither make the pair of them a bad keeper

Player
Manager
John King
Jake Burton’s use or lack of, has been a running theme through the season. I felt he’d done enough in the Grimsby game to be worth a chance when we were chasing the game at Crewe and the fact that Micky’s post match comments implied he’d quickly disregarded that as an option were disappointing. Like others, I was surprised Burton was brought on with Mumbongo’s injury given his previous lack of opportunity. He coped better with the big physical side that Walsall are than expected and contributed to a decent team performance. Hope he gets more chances to show what he can do.
Mumbongo was the better player at Grimsby, despite Burton's 'goal', so it made sense for him to be given an opportunity in the games that followed.

You can just as easily argue that Mellon has timed Burton's re-introduction well, at a point where he can actually make an impact rather than looking lost as he has in his previous appearances.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I felt it a bit for Mumbongo having to go off as he's had his fair share of injuries lately. Not a serious one though hopefully and he should be fighting fit next week. I still don't think MM particularly rates Burton but when Mumbongo went off, he was the obvious and pretty much only choice. I do think he played well though, but it is hard to judge on one game. If he played the next game, he may be completely anonymous.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mumbongo has done ok in spells but if the next 5 months are the same as the previous then we won’t be renewing his contract. He’s missed too many games and we need players who are fit and available.

Player
Manager
John King
Mumbongo has done ok in spells but if the next 5 months are the same as the previous then we won’t be renewing his contract. He’s missed too many games and we need players who are fit and available.
The sign of a successful transfer window might be that neither Mumbongo or Burton are in the side at the end of it.