• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Walsall

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Wallsall

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Walsall
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, January 14, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 14, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Lots of ex rovers in their starting 11: Daniels, manny, Johnson and Jacob Maddoxz the visitors have a strong bench with strikers Wilkinson and Williams plus former Newport wide man Wilmott.

Today could come down to the strength of the bench

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Today could come down to the strength of the bench
You mean when Hughes sets up Burton for the Rovers winner ;)?

Though I agree Sparky, the visitors have a lot of quality there to change things if needed.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Pretty poor game so far, not many chances created by either side don't think either keeper had a save to make

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mumbongo off injured just before half time.

A rare chance for Burton to make an impression

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
No goals half time, we lack pace especially put wide but been the better side without creating too many chances, we have made them look poor so far

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers clearly the better side with not much coming from Walsall but we have been wasteful on crosses, final balls. Bit more composure needed. I think we’ll win with a bit of huff and puff.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mumbongo was starting to get more into the game when picked up another injury. Tom Davies close to h/t with a shot the keeper tipped over, the only one I can recall for either team. JDC seems out of sorts and the referees decision making seems very random. Saddlers make 2 subs at h/t

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Two half time subs for the visitors including striker Williams

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
God we are so poor we need to get that forward in the building time for mumbojumbo to go to the retirment home he is usless

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Monthe sent off and Hawkes scores got win this now surely

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Months off. Can we capitalise.
Burton drawn a couple of fouls. A pen would be .

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Another draw, although we deserved to win our season is going nowhere as there's no danger of relegation and no real chance of the play offs

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
If we lose Hawkes we wont have goals in this team we need 2 forwards to have all the play but cant get more than 1 annoying and cold off to pub now

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Three matches far the better in all, two points to show for it. Got £100,000 for the weakest link in that, funny old game. Bristow on the charge is much more effective

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
4 wins in our last 18 I think now.

Did we deserve more than a point? Probably on the balance of play but their keeper had hardly any saves to make. Certainly nothing to testing. Defences largely on top.

The positive is we didn’t lose and hawkes again showed his value. We badly need more options up front. Bristow MOM for me who will have some more interest after his performance.

Last edited:

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Hawkes got a bit lucky with the goal, bit of a Doohan dive over it. He also had two back stick chances, just a pity the left flank doesn't get similar crosses for Morris to pick up.
Form is lot better than rewards. Mumbongo just shows any decent sized forward breaks things up in this division, another one would be handy

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought we were the better side over the ninety minutes and deserved to win the game. However, our lack of potency in the eighteen yard box let us down again.

In the first half some of our football was really nice and we dominated possession for long periods. We only created one clear opportunity, the volley from Davies which their keeper palmed away, but there were several half chances and we got into good areas on many occasions. We should have gone in ahead at the break, but our deficiencies in the final third effectively let Walsall off the hook.

The second half was more even prior to the red card, with Walsall changing shape and putting on another striker, an acknowledgement that they had been second best in the first forty five minutes. However, after the sending off we battered them and had several opportunities to win it, with Hawkes in particular unlucky with a couple of efforts.

Walsall looked nothing special at all, although they generally defended the eighteen yard box well, and it is frustrating that we are just a couple of players short of putting sides like them away. They created very little in open play, but one moment of opportunism from Johnson almost won them the game, a ruthlessness we just don't have in the box.

I thought all the back four played well and O'Connor and Hawkes had good games. Josh again demonstrated how vital his finishing is to us, and was unlucky not to score the winner. I thought Jake Burton also had his best game for us today and linked the play well in the second half. On that showing he is probably a better option than Mumbongo at the moment.

Man of the match, Jordan Turnbull.