• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Walsall

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Wallsall

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Walsall
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, January 14, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 14, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
cant win if we cant score we need major help up front and on the wings

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I also thought Hewelt did well today, albeit he and the centre halves got in a bit of a pickle for Walsall's goal.

His handling and distribution were good and he made one very good save early in the second half.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought we were the better side over the ninety minutes and deserved to win the game. However, our lack of potency in the eighteen yard box let us down again.
Summed up nicely. We really should have finished them off had we more quality up front and that is the difference. That is why cannot get a run going and climb the table. I really hope we do the business up front this week and get some quality in because that is desperately needed.

We should have been comfortably leading at HT such as the game was going. 1-1 draw at home seems like a loss to me but there were some positive signs. Defence was generally solid, both full backs continue to impress, Hawkes had a good game as did Buton who got stuck in and made some decent runs. Horrendous time wasting for the visitors but the game should have been dead and buried by then.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I also thought Hewelt did well today, albeit he and the centre halves got in a bit of a pickle for Walsall's goal.

His handling and distribution were good and he made one very good save early in the second half.
He's a decent keeper at this level and is a suitable replacement for Doohan. Distribution is marginally better too.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Actually enjoyed that today, definitely one of our better days. Our build up play was excellent on numerous occasions, only let down by the final ball/cross. I have to thank Walsall for rekindling some faith as, on that showing, I’d rather watch our brand of football any day of the week; thought they were the worst footballing side that’s been to PP this season (maybe we deserve credit for that).
Today showed we can play football in supposed poor conditions; made it look a breeze at times!
Agree with RLC with Turnbull my MOTM; immense at the back and going forward!
After numerous years of promotion/relegation/play-offs (there or thereabouts), surely we’re due a mid-table mediocre finish and it wouldn’t be as disastrous as some make out; disappointment’s okay, but some of the doom and gloom is a tad too intense.

Player
ian goodison
3rd game on the trot we could/should have won in my opinion, Walsall like Sutton where a big unit but not much else, keepers distribution was far better than doohans felt sorry for him with being sold short by turnbulls back header, a bit more composure with the final ball was all we required and I,m sure we would have won, great to see burton get some time on the pitch and made all the difference with him winning free-kicks instead of conceding them like mumbongo, really hope mellon gives him more chances

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
3rd game on the trot we could/should have won in my opinion, Walsall like Sutton where a big unit but not much else, keepers distribution was far better than doohans felt sorry for him with being sold short by turnbulls back header, a bit more composure with the final ball was all we required and I,m sure we would have won, great to see burton get some time on the pitch and made all the difference with him winning free-kicks instead of conceding them like mumbongo, really hope mellon gives him more chances
Hopefully we can put a run together and may even win one in such a run against the run of play if there's any justice.
Great to see Burton get game time. For me we don't always have to match up in terms of physicality as long as we've got enough big 'uns for set pieces. I thing Burton has showed he's clever/brave enough to get his body in-between ball and man - always likely to get the nod on free kicks. I know he's not at the level, but there has been some great diminutive strikers who have given CBs nightmares eg Keegan, who was a strong lad with pace who put himself about.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
I think today's game was the first where Burton worked out how to fend off the centre halves without grappling with them and getting shrugged off the ball. If he can work on ball retention and that physical side of the game, he has a chance of making it.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He probably needs more games for the experience though. 15 min cameos (albeit longer today) aren't any good for him.

Reactions: ADD

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Chances are that we will sign 1 or 2 strikers this month so the chances of Burton getting more game time will be fairly limited. He really should have been given more game time this season but Micky hadn't given him the opportunity

Player
Manager
John King
Chances are that we will sign 1 or 2 strikers this month so the chances of Burton getting more game time will be fairly limited. He really should have been given more game time this season but Micky hadn't given him the opportunity
He did not look ready in the previous games he played. Players develop at different rates.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
He has the attributes if he can put them to good use if he gets more minutes. Hope Micky now had food for thought.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Same old, same old, all hustle and bustle, no firepower, powder puff!
can't win games, with no goalscorers!

I'm sorry to say, season is probably over, won't go up, won't go down!
back to the seventies, eighties!
has the rollercoaster finally finished?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree with much of what’s already been said. Rovers much the better side in the first half but rarely troubled the visiting keeper. Walsall were far more in the game second half after the tactical subs.. Their goal came just after Rovers had a decent chance at the other end. Having seen their goal again on the highlights, I wonder if Hewelt would have done better staying put on his line. There were a couple of other times where he came out and cleared the ball outside the box, but here in a bit of no mans land, though the defence should have been more alert to Johnson too. Rovers equalised after a soft foul by ex=player Manny Monthe on Hemmings which also saw him sent off after a second yellow card. There's an argument for a straight red as Hemmings only has the keeper to beat, if he gets past.Hawkes converts the free-kick, which was well-placed, while there's a suggestion the keeper could have done better, it didn't seem to me that in was in the same league as Doohan's error last week.

A few other things;
I was surprised that Mumbongo was the player mainly in the centre of our attack with Hemmings more wide, so when we were in the final third, Kane was often outside the penalty box. My first live game in over 6 weeks, but I'd thought Mumbongo would be the wider one with Hemmings in the box? Joel didn't look good when he came off, so not expecting to see him again for a while.
Thought Burton did quite well when he came on. His smaller size seemed to count in his favour a little today, as the referee seemed more inclined to give him decisions than when bigger players were fouled. I hope he does get more opportunities, as it's still too early to assess if he can do a job for us at this level.
Wondered if it was possible to make an attacking change when they lost a man, but Micky's bench options were fairly limited. Possibly McAlear/Hughes for one of the central defenders, but perhaps MM was content with the approach and workrate at that point and didn't want to change things.
I hadn't realised Jordan Turnbull was such a hothead, he hasn't really registered when playing against us. Today, he did get stuck in to scuffles a few times, picking up a yellow card in the process. Very impressed the way he carried the ball out of defence and up the field on occasion, while solid in his defensive duties. I'd echo RLCs nomination for MoM..

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ve watched their goal back a few times now and I think hewlet came off his line too quickly. It made Johnson’s mind up to lob it over him when defenders were getting back. Perhaps a bit critical but I suspect if Doohan had done the same he would have been criticised

Player
Manager
John King
I’ve watched their goal back a few times now and I think hewlet came off his line too quickly. It made Johnson’s mind up to lob it over him when defenders were getting back. Perhaps a bit critical but I suspect if Doohan had done the same he would have been criticised
I suspect that is true Sparky.

The reality is they are both young keepers on a learning curve.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Walsall players struggling with a virus apparently, which may account for their negative approach to the game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Walsall players struggling with a virus apparently, which may account for their negative approach to the game.
I also think despite their good form, like most teams they probably see coming to PP as a real test so are happy with a point and will always start with that approach. Even at 0-0 there was a fair amount of game management which you can’t blame them (Scott Davies wrote a book on it!).