• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers v Crawley

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Crawley

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers v Crawley
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Tuesday, February 28, 2023 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, February 28, 2023 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A chance for Rovers to finally record back-to-back victories as we host struggling Crawley. The visitors were tonked 5-2 by Carlisle on Saturday and are in poor form, having lost four of the last five games. They have some reasonable names in their squad, most notably Dom Telford, but we should be targeting three points from this game.

I think we will name an unchanged starting eleven following Saturday's victory. However, Paul Lewis has generally been less effective as a 'false nine' at Prenton Park where teams sit deeper, so it will be interesting to see whether the strikers have the same impact as they did yesterday. Saunders performances have generally been good and a home game against weak opposition hopefully gives him the opportunity to get off the mark. Hemmings travelled to Crawley and might be back on the bench for this match.

Despite Saturday's result I think it will be a poor crowd, with negligible away support, and the attendance might even dip below 5,000 for the first time since we returned to the League.

Prediction: Rovers victory.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Going off the back of the excellent victory at the weekend, Rovers should be in good spirits for this one. In contrast, Crawley will be wondering what they have to do to win a game of football with their last win coming a month ago against Salford. Currently second from bottom with a GD of -18 they look to be in all sorts of trouble. The performance on Saturday was encouraging and I think Micky will want to retain the same shape giving Saunders plenty of opportunity to run onto the ball and cause Crawley problems with his pace and movement. I really don't know who is best partnering Saunders up front, and I don't think Micky does either but he might stick with Lewis after Sat much needed win.

I really hope we can do some damage here and score at least two goals, that would be great for morale and another victory would end the inconsistency a little. I think we just needed a settled team to build momentum and get a run of results. I would leave Hemmings on the bench if fit as I don't think we've missed him and it gives other lads the opportunity. I would like to see more from Burton but suspect he'll get 15 mins at the end.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Let us hope we are not the Tranmere that is helpfull like we have to other teams in poor form and play shit.for once can we just have goals goals goals and a forward getting some please

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
They are a basket case and will do well to avoid relegation, a 2 0 home win will do.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
My head says win.
My heart says win.
My logic says win.
Oh shit!
Going for a draw!
Can't see us losing but we can be very generous in these games.
I think with the cold weather, and the fact that very few away support, it could be below 5000!
And don't forgot the attendance figure will include non attending season ticket holders.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m predicting a win for the first time in a few weeks. Saturday’s result will surely give the team’s confidence a boost. Anything but a win would be another setback in our topsy-turvy season. Winning without their captain and top scorer may be significant. I’d leave Kane out tomorrow and see how Tom Davies gets on in the captain’s role.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Crawley are in dire form, but they do have some decent players and if we're unlucky enough to be playing them on one of the rare occasions they click, then who knows... It will be interesting to see if we start with the same xi as at Stevenage, given it was the substitution which helped win the game. However Turner-Cooke is going to get a better opportunity in this game than any other he's been involved in for Rovers to show what he can do. Any news on the other absentees; Walker and Morris?

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Micky has suggested Morris's injury is longer term, so I doubt he will be involved. Not sure about Walker, but he did not travel on Saturday.

I think the impact of Merrie on Saturday has been overstated to be honest. We were the better side long before he came on and it was actually O'Connor who played the bigger role in winning the penalty.

Turner-Cooke did OK and deserves to keep his place.

Last edited:
Player
Manager
John King
Who voted for a Crawley victory ? :)

Could be famous last words of course......

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Micky has suggested Morris's injury is longer term, so I doubt he will be involved. Not sure about Walker, but he did not travel on Saturday.

I think the impact of Merrie on Saturday has been overstated to be honest. We were the better side long before he came on and it was actually O'Connor who played the bigger role in winning the penalty.
It was an imaginative substitution though, Micky not going like-for-like and Merrie certainly contributed to the penalty. We were the better side at Crewe and Doncaster, but Nolan and Mumbongo were unable to change the direction of those games when brought on.

Player
Manager
John King
It was an imaginative substitution though, Micky not going like-for-like and Merrie certainly contributed to the penalty. We were the better side at Crewe and Doncaster, but Nolan and Mumbongo were unable to change the direction of those games when brought on.
It was O'Connor who made the burst into the box to commit the defender and win the penalty.

Merrie did not really change the direction of the game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree I’d start with turner Cooke. I like merrie but this is a home game against a poor Crawley side who are shipping goals. We should have as many attacking players on the pitch that we can get

Last edited:

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
me and another 5-0 loss then if we win I am HAPPY to come on you whites lets us get on a fucking run and win some and score loads of goals but we know that won't happen boring ROVERS just a game when we score 4 when was the last time in the LG we did that

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Well it looks like being the poorest gate of the season tonight just 4k so far i am happy to say me and my girls will be there as for once i have no parties on

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Well Saturday's result attracted me back in and I watched the match early doors Sunday. Evans has manufactured a big side to stop opponents playing, the first 20 minutes he managed to nearly stop the game altogether. Dire stuff
My MOTM was Saunders for an outstanding defensive performance, his high velocity and energy laden effort was impressive. He is a quicker version of Nevitt. However the way he shapes in front of goal, leads me to conclude he is no better than Elliot and lacks composure. I really cannot see him creating chances for others either, he looks completely blind when in possession. He got the gong on the day but maybe not waht you need up front in the long run?
Defensively it was an awesome effort, Murphy has probably lost more than the other two will ever have. Class is permanent even in old age.
There is a run coming where maximum points could be on. Leaving all analysis aside, if your life depended on a goal being scored you'd choose Hemmings, he needs to get back. After Hawkes sent the keeper, it was odd for him to place it where he was going (Aldo's manual needs a re-read) but thankfully it was pinpoint just inside the post- Hemmings again would be a safer bet on the spot.
Thought T-C was a great replacement for Morris as Cogley's overlaps were in full flow, he should look to use Cogley as a decoy as his own skill set and speed could hurt. Merrie and Hendry are fairly equal but hard to play them both in this system, O'Connor brings something extra in the guard role although his performance had a few errors this time. His goal winning run does not disguise his crossing and shooting are abysmal, better left to others. I'd play a middle three?
In hindsight a big lad on the back post this season could have been season changing. Stockton/Cook type would get onto Cogley's chips and might have time to adjust to Bristow's vicious speculative bombs. Mumbungo could feasibly do some of that but I am not convinced and the rest clearly are not cut out for it. Walker arriving late might be an option if he ever re-appears?

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
only just over 4170 not gonna be any probs finding a seat tonight then lol

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
Only 22 away tickets sold for tonight's game. Reminiscent of the National League days.
No doubt we’ll still get the away support ”classics” of “Your support is f*****’ s***” and “Is this a library…” and not forgetting “Your grounds too big for you”. The one I’m most looking forward to is “….it’s the Crawley boys making all the noise, everywhere we go”.