• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Rovers (1) v MK Dons (2)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • MK Dons

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Rovers (1) v MK Dons (2)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Saturday, January 13, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, January 13, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Mike Williamson won plaudits at Gateshead for his expansive style of play, so I would imagine this match will be very similar to the Notts game, with MK in possession for long periods and Rovers playing on the counter attack. That should suit us more than the physical slog at Barrow last week.

I think it is important we bounce back immediately from defeat with a victory, as we did against Swindon. Obviously team selection will be greatly influenced by the Apter / Hawkes situation, but if Rob has not returned I would expect Hawkes to replace McAlear on the right of midfield, as Adkins will want to be more expansive at home against a decent footballing side.

It is interesting that in his pre-match interview Adkins again commented that he is happy with the squad, having previously said he does not want to make too many changes in January. That directly contradicts what Palios said recently.

Similarly, when he was asked about the formation change to 442 on the BBC a couple of weeks ago, Adkins commented that 'the club' had decided to use a 433 system previously, but when he became permanent manager he decided to go in a different direction. Perhaps he just did not want to mention Dawes personally, but from his wording it sounded like the previous tactical approach had come from on high, and not simply from Dawes. I know a number of people on here found it odd that Nigel persisted with that system for several weeks prior to being made permanent, despite the fact we continued to lose games.

It seems that since being given the permanent role Adkins has felt able to assert some control over the football operation, and disregard unwanted advice, which is a good thing.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Williamson has just won manager of the month so hopefully that is a curse. As RLC says it is important we bounce back at PP as we’ve got two away games coming up.

With Apter staying he will start on the right so Hawkes will be on bench duties again. It will be interesting whether McAlear or Walker partners Hendry in the middle. It may depend on how physical MK might be or whether need Mcalears extra mobility around the park. My guess is big Brad will start if fit as we know how good he is at getting that quick pass out to Apter.

Up front will be interesting as to who partners CJ. Options are limited as to one of Jolley or if fit, Dennis. Sam Taylor would be an option but I suspect he’ll be on the bench at best. Pike in for LOC if Lee is injured.

Last edited:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A tough game against a good team who has been transformed under the new manager, think we will nick it 2 1.

An awkward fixture that I think we may have lost until this morning’s boost. Still think it’ll be tricky, possibly our trickiest home game for some time. A win would be superb but head rules heart and I’m predicting a draw.

It seems that since being given the permanent role Adkins has felt able to assert some control over the football operation, and disregard unwanted advice, which is a good thing.
I agree, and it’s symptomatic of the high level of trust Palios has in him, and has had for a long time. A level of trust possibly matched only by Micky at his peak, of all of MP’s past appointments. And an almost unique level of trust that trumped the failed manager/young coach thinking that MP may or may not have persevered with had Adkins not been available and willing to replace Dawes.

Last edited:
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
The form guide would suggest a draw!
And for the umpteenth game, that is my opinion.
Who am I kidding?
A home win will be the result of my choice. Ha!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
This is a difficult game to call. From a Rovers [perspective. Apter's return is great news, but there are other more challenging features. While I don't expect quite the same emotional outpouring by the supporters for Peter Johnson's passing as there was for Kingy, such is the different nature of managers and owners, but PJs loss will still be deeply felt. One of my worst experiences as a Rovers fan was the gutless performance in the 1-2 defeat to Welling in the first game after Johnny King's passing and some ill-judged remarks after the game by Brabin. Adkins thankfully is much more on the same wavelength as the SWA, was surprised he'd never met PJ though. It's a real shame he's not going to be on the touchline for this. He wasn't asked about arrangements for his ban in the interview, while I'm sure there will be things put in place, but as such a hands on manager, the time lag in implementing any tweaks Nigel identifies is a potential risk.

There are a couple of decisions regarding team selection required. It's sounding more hopeful O'Connor might be fit, but if unavailable, it would be better going for the natural right-back in Pike to replace him. Up front, I'd like to see Sam Taylor start, but he remains out of favour. NA didn't name check Dennis as being still unfit, so presume he is an option. Given how Milton Keynes play, he would be a better choice to start than Jolley.

I think a draw is the most likely outcome, but any of the outcomes seem almost equally possible.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Let's get real, PJ is just some historical figure they never met for the players and also a significant number of fans. Probably best no one tries to project the issue onto the players and just let them do their Saturday work.
I presume someone training a week ago as in Dennis is at least up to coming off the bench, now?
I understand the Raptor deal was made possible by the London SWA, not sure whether they are a City based group, but some impressive firepower anyway. So I conclude we need to shift more than one player out before any chance of incoming?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Let's get real, PJ is just some historical figure they never met for the players and also a significant number of fans. Probably best no one tries to project the issue onto the players and just let them do their Saturday work.
I presume someone training a week ago as in Dennis is at least up to coming off the bench, now?
I understand the Raptor deal was made possible by the London SWA, not sure whether they are a City based group, but some impressive firepower anyway. So I conclude we need to shift more than one player out before any chance of incoming?
Agree re the players but a lot of fans do recognise the significant contribution Johnson made to the club. Play like we have recently regardless of the outcome and will be ok, but any anaemic Dawes’ style or a re-hash of the Welling game will not be well received by the SWA.
Agree re Dennis, no idea of the financial strength of the London SWA, though can’t imagine the sums to cover Apter’s wages are astronomical. At the end of the month we lose Pike, Robson, Belehouan and Starbuck, unless their deals extended. I’d hope we keep Pike, unsure about the others. Nigel’s remarks suggest nothing happening until then and he’s happy with the squad.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Pike for LOC and Jolley for Saunders. Dennis on the bench.

No place for Sam Taylor in the squad

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Dan Kemp who scored at PP a couple of weeks ago for Swindon starts for MK. Need to keep an eye on him

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Obviously Apter starts. Pike in for O’Connor makes sense. Jolley up front not sure.

Very disappointing that Sam Taylor doesn’t get a slot on the bench against a footballing side like Milton Keynes. Maybe Adkins has worked miracles to transform Lewis into a decent player but we’ve not seen him since returning from injury.

Inclining towards an away win now.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Pike for LOC and Jolley for Saunders. Dennis on the bench.

No place for Sam Taylor in the squad
Must surely be some personal issue with Adkins or else he is off during the window.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
1-1 Morris deflected shot beats the keeper! Game on!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
McGee makes two important saves to keep it 1-1. MK on top, we need half time