• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Ronnie

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Time is up for Ronnie he simply had to go he cant change things round, we will get relegated unless we have a change we need fresh ideas as what he is trying is not working & things are going to get worse with the run of fixtures we have.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
It was not just results that did for Barnes, it was the manner of the defeats and his lack of experience. We have been bad at times this season, but nowhere near the levels of ineptitude we showed under the Chuckle Brothers

I agree with RLC but some of these performances are nearly as bad - I have more time for Ronnie as he has served the club well previously and hopefully will turn things around !

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Time is up for Ronnie he simply had to go he cant change things round
But who is better placed to turn things around ?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think if Ronnie is to keep his job, he does need to make some drastic changes as it's clear what he's trying at the moment isn't working as bigmart says above. I do think the players can give more too. We need to see them fighting for points. Chasing balls down, pressing the opposition etc.. It's been too frequent this season when I've seen them below par, they can be giving more. If we are to get out of this decline, we need to fight. I want to see this determination on the pitch.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
there are plenty of out of work managers who are worth giving a go too, we cant just say oh theres nobody else or nobody better qualified when clearly things have been going wrong for far too long, at this rate we will be doomed by the new year.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
rumour that there was a board meeting today & it will be announced tomorrow that hes been sacked.

WildRover

Player
Kevin Gray (ha!)
there are plenty of out of work managers who are worth giving a go too, we cant just say oh theres nobody else or nobody better qualified when clearly things have been going wrong for far too long, at this rate we will be doomed by the new year.

Exactly! Had this happened from the new season then yes he should get more time, but its since February since we won convincingly...the only worry if they sack moore is who they give the caretakership to? John mcmahon should go too, as he is the 1 on the training pitch so they dont seem to do mch for him either, so maybe Garnett? IF they are sacking him, hopefully someone is lined up, and this isnt a panic reaction!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Reflecting on yesterdays' game and several recent peformances, I don't think there is much tactically or in personnel terms that the manager could have done differently, yet we have picked up no points. I think that our major problem now is not tactical or the inadequacy of the players (I still think they are good enough to at least keep us in this division) but rather the fact that, as a squad, we have forgotten how to win. Our form has been so poor for six months that we are stuck in a rut and we don't seem able to dig ourselves out of it. I expected Ronnie to have turned things round by now and it is perplexing that a manager of his experience has not been able to at least put a decent sequence of four or five games together since February.

If and when Ronnie is replaced I still have grave concerns regaring the calibre of a likely replcement. When Barnes was sacked at a similar stage in the season we spent three months faffing round failing to appoint anyone before putting the physio in charge. Two of our last three managers have not been equipped to do the job and the financial situation at the club is basically the same as it was in 2010. Which is way I think some of those yammering for an immediate sacking need to think carefully about the consequences of a dismissal.

Either way, I think we are in trouble this season.

Player
Manager
John King
I think if Ronnie is to keep his job, he does need to make some drastic changes as it's clear what he's trying at the moment isn't working as bigmart says above. I do think the players can give more too. We need to see them fighting for points. Chasing balls down, pressing the opposition etc.. It's been too frequent this season when I've seen them below par, they can be giving more. If we are to get out of this decline, we need to fight. I want to see this determination on the pitch.

Ian, there was no shortage of effort and commitment yesterday, or in the Port Vale game for that mattaer, yet we still did not really look like scoring a goal, which is very concerning. I don't think it is a lack of commitment which is the problem now, so much as a lack of belief.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If that's the case, I really don't know what else Ronnie can do. It's an interesting point you bring up regarding a replacement manager. I do remember us struggling to appoint a manager for some time and what we came up with was Les Parry and John Barnes.

It's alright saying there will be plenty of managers out there, but are they any good? We're not exactly an exciting prospect. Low gates, little money etc etc.. I think we should be careful what we wish for.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On the one hand you can argue that no one else could come in and do a better job. I remember Ronnie saying earlier in the season we had better individuals than last season but not a better team. How wrong he was.

On the other hand you only have to look at what has happened to Carlisle. Losing and conceding goals. Manager sacked. Graham Kavanagh comes in and they win 4 in a row (with Amoo banging them in !) It is a fact that often a change in manager, but with the same players, can improve things, and PJ must be thinking about this.

I think most clubs nowadays have budget restrictions so out of work managers know that they wont have money to spend - but they are out of work and need a job so there would be interest I am sure.

As much as I love Ronnie - he is a legend given all his service in various roles - and how good it was last season up to Feb - he is fast running out of time and who knows, at the time of writing, he may be being given his marching orders. Given our run since Feb, sadly, you can't really blame PJ.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
I keep changing my mind to be honest, but for now I would say give Ronnie a bit more time and hope injury situation improves. I guess that is the problem with the low budget and the reliance on the loan system strategy. Low budget meant trialists were usually from lower leagues and in terms of loanees the previous year we get the likes of Gibson and a quality siging such as Wallace and fly high , but there is no sense of permanency. We don't replicate the loanee quality this time round, Wallace's injury ends up long term and the significant signing this year (Lowe) is not getting a sniff in a poor team- so we should not be surprised we are struggling. I think Ronnie will kepp us up - just.

Anybody think Wallace will be back - ever???

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Higgy, I really hope Wallace will be back but think je wont me match fit till the new year at best.

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
I have to agree with the previous posts. We had real quality in the loan signings. You can add Palmer and Cassidy to Gibson. Losing Cassidy was a huge blow when you consider JLAA's absence as well.

Can't honestly say that anyone of the new midfielders is as good as Palmer and being without all three creative minded players is a massive blow!! Lowe was and is a great signing bit if he doesn't get the chances??

A new manager might bring a change of approach but the players and absentees are the same. So I would give Ronnie more time, do think we'll come good with a little good fortune.

On the subject of a new manager if they are they are thinking of replacing RM, hope they at least have someone in mind to take over this time.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Not that keen on Lowe but he would do better if he was played up front rather than in midfield

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Can't honestly say that anyone of the new midfielders is as good as Palmer and being without all three creative minded players is a massive blow!! Lowe was and is a great signing bit if he doesn't get the chances??
I don't actually think there is much difference in ability between Atkinson and Palmer, just that Atkinson is an attacking midfielder, when, until Hateley was deployed there, we didn't have any defensive ones.

If Ronnie insists on deploying Lowe in midfield, no matter how hard he tries he won't get much opportunity of scoring.

My view on Ronnie hasn't changed, see where we are at the end of this month...

Player
Manager
John King
I think we have to start with Lowe up front from now on, even as a lone striker (perhaps with Akpro and Thompson either side of him). In our current circumstances it is daft to have our top goalscorer playing right midfield.

That said, the tactics on Saturday were understandable and worked, up to a point.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
We need to be more adventurous and start taking chances because if you don't score goals, you don't win games. Holding back is only asking for trouble. I think we'll be too cautious against Bradford and will probably lose it by a goal. If as Ronnie would have us believe, this is a decent squad of players, give them the chance to prove it.

Player
Manager
John King
I think for the majority of the season we have been too weak defensively to open out and play an attacking game: when he have been relatively positive and the game has become stretched - in the Crawley and Brentford games for example - we have conceded goals by the bucketload.

However, the recent signings do appear to have made us more solid, and the acquisition of Hateley to play the holding role could be key in the long term. Hopefully we do now have enough defensive strength in the side to be slightly more adventurous.