• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Pre season friendlies

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Not the best game but it was better in the in the second half dennis the menace was ok and lively Saunders had some good runs hemmings is just hemmings

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A drab affair and a goalless draw at Vauxhalls with both sides creating very little of note. A torrential downpour second half didn’t help matters and although there was no lack of effort we never looked like scoring. Sounds familiar albeit hard to judge in a game like this.

first half we had a left footed right back on trial who after a difficult start did ok but nothing special. second half I think we had max Allen of FC Liverpool in midfield who again did ok. The front two in the first half were CJ and Jolley but both were quiet. Second half it was a three with Saunders and Dennis either side of Hemmings. Poor Kane got a few chuckles after creating a good chance but slipping over. Dennis and Saunders both went off with knocks but hopefully precautionary

Trialists in goal second half and at CB alongside hockenhull again did ok but werent tested much. LOC played RB second half and got forward on a couple of occasions. I still think we need another wide man as Morris and hawkes can be predictable. The likes of Dennis can score at this level but they need the service, no sign of Norris

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a pedestrian first half, and a better second half when we had some genuine pace and width down the left side through Bristow and Saunders / Taylor, and we did create a couple of genuine opportunities.

However, I did not like the way we set up tactically. It was a 4231 in both halves, with Jennings as a lone striker in the first period and Hemmings in that role after half time. In the first half Jennings was completely isolated and we created nothing, and in the second Dennis was played wide on the right, which surely is not the best way to make use of him.

Our big problem last season was goalscoring, so now that we have good striking options surely we need to go with two up front and give the strikers decent ammunition. I appreciate it was a glorified training session today, but the pattern of the match was very similar to the final ten games last season.

I liked the look of Dennis, whose movement was good and link play was tidy. I thought MaClear and Hughes had decent games in the second half and I agree with Sparky about the trialists, none of whom particularly impressed.

Norris and Merrie were absent, presumably due to injury, and Saunders and Dennis both went off with knocks, hopefully nothing too serious.

It was good to see Morris and Jolley out on the pitch again.

Last edited:

ADD

Player
Norwood
Thanks for the reports. Sounds pretty dull but it's all about minutes I guess.

How did Mikey Davis do? Did he look anywhere near good enough to be a genuine bench player this season?

Also a trialist at GK? That right? If so why? Surely Murphy is cover and we have Conor Robson to sit on the bench if Murphy has to play when McGee is injured and if Murphy is also injured we can always bring in an emergency loan? Can't for the life of me see why we would need to spend precious cash on a third GK

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Davies did ok I thought, didn’t stand out and only played first half. Not sure about being squad ready yet but hard to judge.

I thought it was Robson in goal and only realised after the game it was a triallist. I agree I don’t see the point in bringing another keeper in unless there are some doubts about Murphy being able to last the season even as back up, train full time etc. Don’t think the triallist had a save to make.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought Davies did ok, probably better than the trialist at right back. However, it is difficult to judge individual performances in a game like that.

McAlear did seem to want to get involved and impress, so it will be interesting to see whether he progresses this season.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I thought Davies did ok, probably better than the trialist at right back. However, it is difficult to judge individual performances in a game like that.

McAlear did seem to want to get involved and impress, so it will be interesting to see whether he progresses this season.
I agree. Thought Davies showed plenty of grit and had the pace to recover a situation when in trouble.
I really felt for the left footed trialist at RB....looked a bit better when no.26 came on and let him move into midfield, but don't think we'll see him again.
The David Luiz lookalike (no. 26?) who came on at RB looked strong and was a good talker.
Hockenhull looks strong, but doesn't seem to have it for me. The no. 16 next to him took no prisoners and was a very good organiser.

The no.14 (yellow boots) looked creative and lively (Sparky's Max Allen?)

Morris oozed class in tight positions and Jenno made a good fist of playing up against bid CBs....even though he'd be playing further back hopefully. A good addition to the squad.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with higgy about David Luiz, he was solid at RB but only got around 15 mins in total. Was good to see McGee who was very vocal

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I arrived just before the stoppage after Tom Davies got clattered. Vauxhall probably had the better of the first half, one good save from McGee, with the other incident of note the ref asking for Lewis to be subbed after some retaliation but saving us a red card. Rovers looked better after the break, both at the back and going forward, although failed to finish off some decent opportunities. The downpour probably made things more difficult.

Of the triallists thought the right-sided central defender was good and the keeper seemed fairly assured, if hardly tested. It’s a shame that the two better ones are in positions where we don’t need. The Luiz look-alike worth another look, but goodbye to the rest. I thought Mikey Davies and Hockenhull both looked reasonable at first glance, be interesting to see how they progress.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I noticed ex Morecambe manage Jim Bentley at the game and the lad with the shaggy hair (Jack Bentley) is his son apparently. Come through our academy

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Good spot Sparky.
He looked confident and able to hold his own in the talking stakes.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
No sign of Norris today and although only rumours some talk elsewhere that he hasn’t trained much yet and has only been in the gym. Wonder if that might mean we’re reluctant to offload hemmings yet.

Player
Manager
John King
No sign of Norris today and although only rumours some talk elsewhere that he hasn’t trained much yet and has only been in the gym. Wonder if that might mean we’re reluctant to offload hemmings yet.
Yes, quite possibly. It sounds like Norris won't be match fit for some weeks yet, which is a blow.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Looking at match report and Trialists IDs ie T1 to T5, it would be useful if they kept the same ID to make it easier to follow any progress....or exit. All the trialists feature on the team sheet for each half...apart from T4 who must be Jack Bentley/David Luiz as he was just a sub in the first half. Hope we get to see him again.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Looking at match report and Trialists IDs ie T1 to T5, it would be useful if they kept the same ID to make it easier to follow any progress....or exit. All the trialists feature on the team sheet for each half...apart from T4 who must be Jack Bentley/David Luiz as he was just a sub in the first half. Hope we get to see him again.
14 Max Allen midfielder ex Warrington Rylands
15 Jake Hull ex Rotherham central defender
The left-footed right-back first half Luis Lacey ex Barnsley
Suggestion elsewhere that the triallist keeper was actually Connor Robson, who I thought was with us anyway?

ADD

Player
Norwood
14 Max Allen midfielder ex Warrington Rylands
15 Jake Hull ex Rotherham central defender
The left-footed right-back first half Luis Lacey ex Barnsley
Suggestion elsewhere that the triallist keeper was actually Connor Robson, who I thought was with us anyway?
Robson I didn't think has a contract yet and is still with the Academy so wonder if for insurance/ regulation purposes he has to be called a trialist?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
And possibly the same with Jack Bentley. Think he’s come through the academy but was noted as a Triallist

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
There has not been an academy since 2018! And the youth team went two seasons ago!

These lads have done well from the football college.