• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

NL 2017-2018

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It seems Macclesfield are now in financial trouble. Players and management were not paid in January.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ohh dear. It’s probably no coincidence their form has dropped since Christmas with all the ongoing issues there.

drwhoman

This only goes to show how precarious the finances are at most NL clubs unless they have a wealthy owner or owners. It is vital to stay on top of it all. We only have to look at Chester or Hartlepool. Thankfully, our owner is an accountant so I would imagine that he takes a very close interest in the figures.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Dagenham also suggested as a club in difficulty. While you’d think the Palioi’s accountancy background would help, the unspecified loss on Wirral Live last year throws up some concern. There’s to be a similar venture this year, needs to be micromanaged, as we should not be running such events unless there is a significant profit.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Manager
John King
Although Peter Shaw was fired after the Wirral Live fiasco, I have never believed the blame could rest solely with him. Detailed budgets would have been prepared and, as a chartered accountant, Palios would have been all over them. There is no way he would simply have delegated a project of that scale to someone else.

Player
Manager
John King
Our home game against Eastleigh on 24th March will be broadcast live on BT, with a 12.15 kick off. Seems a bit of a strange choice given some of the other fixtures we have coming up.

drwhoman

I agree with RLC as it is clear that the 'what ifs' were not given sufficient consideration. What is the risk for us? What is the financial downside if the entertainment on offer is not attractive and low numbers attend, what alternative events are on at the same time, what if it is raining etc. Too much optimism clearly, Shaw, possibly Palios, and others were probably blinded by the possible upside. One would hope that a more critical approach is adopted this time! I wonder if Nicola was asked for her view? My wife is usually far more 'grounded' than I am! (LOL!).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Our home game against Eastleigh on 24th March will be broadcast live on BT, with a 12.15 kick off. Seems a bit of a strange choice given some of the other fixtures we have coming up.
What a baffling selection for a televised game. Our trips to Dover, Dagenham or Boreham Wood would have been better options

joe

Regards the Wirral Live event it was Little Mix making an exorbitant claim that ruined the finances and their prima donna attitude whilst there.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
What claim?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On the subject of finances, Dagenham have sold 2 of their better players to play off rivals. Striker Morgan Ferrier to borehamwood and defender Sam ling to orient.

drwhoman

May explain why they have slipped down the table. Talking about money, where are Wrexham getting theirs from? I cannot imagine that the Oystons would be subsidising Quigley too much!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Daggers had a major investor back out,so have had to sell players to balance the books. Scott Doe also to leave. I don't think Orient are play-off contenders this season, but Ferrier will certainly strengthen BorehamWood's play-off push.

Player
Manager
John King
May explain why they have slipped down the table. Talking about money, where are Wrexham getting theirs from? I cannot imagine that the Oystons would be subsidising Quigley too much!
Wrexham have got a relatively small squad and break even every season, so they won't be taking any major financial risks.

Ferrier is an excellent signing for Boreham Wood, who are one of the better teams I have seen this season. It would be bizarre for a club with 250 supporters to reach the Football League, but it could happen.

drwhoman

Thanks RLC. I imagine that if BW got into Div Two they would the most poorly supported team in league history!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thanks RLC. I imagine that if BW got into Div Two they would the most poorly supported team in league history!
They may even double their attendance !

drwhoman

I see that the Hartlepool tax debt has been paid by the fans although the Police are in to examine possible financial irregularities by past management. 48k - half of what an upper level PL player gets a week! When you think about it, the National League is a pretty precarious place financially - how many teams have got serious financial issues? Four, five, more?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There’s absolutely no money on this league when half of them are occupied by part time clubs. Clubs that go down have serious problems financially if they are not well managed.

drwhoman

True Ian. Rovers are clearly having to be more circumspect now relegation parachute payments have finished.