• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

NL 2017-2018

frenchrover

Player
aldo
A bit of good news at last with Ben Tollitt returning to first team training yesterday. No doubt a few weeks away from first team selection but a positive move in the right direction.

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Indeed very positive. Lets hope for no setbacks but I just hope we're not expecting him to come and suddenly turn things round (if they still are not great when he's back) - a lot of pressure for a young man who will be targeted by the opposition.

Given our issue with a lack of width, you do wonder whether we should have kept Mekki - I wasn't his biggest fan but his Bromley side sit top (early days) and perhaps more unbelievable, he's played the full 90 minutes of their last 2 games ! He always looked knackered after 25 mins to me lol

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think we signed dunn and rokka to replace mekki. We just have to hope they turn out to be good signings in the long term. Personally think it was the right decision to release mekki, who was never quite at the level we need.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While I broadly agree with RLC on Mekki, can't help feeling we'd have done better not wasting money on signing Dawson and keeping Mekki as a squad player. Though hindight is a wonderful thing, I was never keen on Dawson's recruitment second time around.

Meanwhile, it's been pointed out that for the first time in over a quarter of a century that Rovers haven't used a home-grown player in the opening 5 games.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Meanwhile, it's been pointed out that for the first time in over a quarter of a century that Rovers haven't used a home-grown player in the opening 5 games.
I can't see many being used all season. Kirby will probably now be only a squad player. Pilling might feature if Davies gets injured, suspended or loses form. The others will only get a look in if there's another rash of injuries and Micky doesn't get an increase in his budget. The fact that for the fifth season in a row we are likely to be fighting to be promoted or avoid being relegated will make it difficult for youngsters to get a chance.

Player
Manager
John King
While I broadly agree with RLC on Mekki, can't help feeling we'd have done better not wasting money on signing Dawson and keeping Mekki as a squad player. Though hindight is a wonderful thing, I was never keen on Dawson's recruitment second time around.

Part of that is down to the injury to Kirby and the loss of Stockton. Pilling, gumbs and duggan are all closer to the first team than a year ago and I can envisage all of them being used at some stage.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I suspect like most managers Micky would play the youngsters if they can show they are good enough. The problem is that there is an element of uncertainty of how they'll cope with regular first team football - especially at the moment given our problems. It could be hard for a young player if say selected for Borehamwood on Saturday and the crowd get angry - look at Alabi and Dunn - not home-grown but young players getting a chance and being the current receivers of abuse. The impacts on their confidence are already being felt I fear.

Suspect Micky will be asked about youngsters at the Q&A but the answer will be a standard if they are good enough they'll get a chance. Otherwise its a wait and see throughout the season when injuries etc come up. There is an argument in our current form that the likes of Duggan should get a chance but MMs post match interviews (and match reports) suggest our only problem is putting the ball away - so if that's the case Duggan, Gumbs, Pilling etc are a long way from the starting 11.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
On social media someone spoke to Duggan last night who said that he and Gumbs both travel to away games at the moment incase someone gets injured in the warm up. Then they'll be on the bench. Otherwise not. There are no plans to send them out on loan but Micky will be making changes on Saturday - whether that's the bench or starting 11 remains to be seen.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Where Micky can perhaps be criticised was in farming out Duggan and Gumbs last season, as Mitch in particular could have been a useful squad player following Vaughan's injury.

I don't think, unless our hand is forced through injuries, that now is the time to be starting youngsters. If the experienced starting xi are not delivering though, then there should be options on the bench to cater for changing things and injuries.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don't think, unless our hand is forced through injuries, that now is the time to be starting youngsters. If the experienced starting xi are not delivering though, then there should be options on the bench to cater for changing things and injuries.
Agreed. There's the option for a more balanced bench and possibly a plan b if needed.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
After Torquay's Kevin Nicholson became the first managerial casualty of the national league recently, perhaps a few more eyebrows are raised with the news that Paul Cox has left Barrow by mutual consent. After 5 games the bluebirds had won 1, lost 1 and drawn 3. Not the poorest of starts especially when they did well to finish 7th last season. Losing their top scorer Bennett was always going to make life difficult to repeat last seasons efforts but as most of the SWA would agree, its still early days.

You do wonder if he has another job lined up. He spoke to Hartlepool when they went for ex TNS manager Harrison who hasn't started life well at Victoria Park.

Player
Manager
John King
Amazed that cox has gone, though as sparky says he may have the Hartlepool job lined up. I doubt barrow will attract anyone better. The bonus for us is that we won't have to watch his horrendous hoofball in a couple of weeks !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
There is talk that the money's dried up a bit at Barrow. A couple of their better players have been sold. While Cox teams style of play isn't attractive, he's proven at this level, having got Mansfield promoted and he would have been a good appointment for Pools.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
More managerial news with Paul Cox taking over at Guiseley - perhaps the recent improvement of Hartlepool meant he had little chance of taking over there.

Jon McCarthy leaves Chester much to the delight of most of their fans following last nights defeat at Solihull. Despite a club away record last season of unbeaten games, failing to win any of the last 14 at home and dropping into the relegation zone has meant the chop. By their standards, Chester spent some cash in the summer bringing back Hannah on 2 year deal and Kingsley James from Macc amongst others.

Will Ronnie throw his had into the ring I wonder - assume it would be local and with no disrespect to McCarthy, Ronnie would give them a rocket that's for sure.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Just a quick check now we have played half our league games.

After 23 games, Sutton and Wrexham topped the table with 42 points, suggesting this season's champions will need only 84 points. However, I think it will take nearer 90 to clinch it. At the halfway stage, we have just 34 points, which could suggest we need 56 points or well over two points per game to get there. During the second half of last season we accrued just 48 points, but I'm not convinced we are playing quite yet up to last season's standard. I also feel the run-in could be tough. So, I think all the points carelessly dropped earlier could cost us automatic promotion, but the playoffs look likely.

Last edited:
Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As the calendar year comes to an end and we are just over the halfway point in the season, I thought I might look at how the NL season is going.

It's certainly an unusual one, with no standout teams and everyone having the capability to beat anyone else on their day. Looking at the table, a number of teams could end up as champions. As for promotion, the new rules mean about two-thirds of the clubs have a realistic chance of ending up in the top seven. And given the games in hand that Chester and Guiseley have, the bottom third will be anxiously looking over their shoulder.

The plus for TRFC is that we could still make the top spot at the end of the season, but it will be extra tough as every team in the league will be fighting for points until quite late in the season.

M

Mal

Over Iast 5 games Tranmere gained 8 to 9 points on all except Macclesfield (only 2) which is why I hoped sutton would win. However Tranmere still have to play Macclesfield. So I guess form is everything and it depends who can keep the pressure on. Flashscores.co.uk shows the current firm visually.

Player
Manager
John King
In the last ten games we have gained 4 points on Macc, despite Macclesfield being in their best form of the season in that period. Obviously if that form was repeated over the next twenty matches, we would win the league. A long way to go though..........

Player
aldo
i am so looking forward to the macc game if we are still a couple points off or even ahead will be a great game . now lets just keep winning