• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

NL 2017-2018

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The NL will feature the following sides next season.

Aldershot
Barrow
Boreham Wood
Bromley
Chester
Dagenham
Dover
Eastleigh
Ebbsfleet
Fylde
Gateshead
Guiseley
Halifax
Hartlepool
Leyton Orient*
Macclesfield
Maidenhead
Maidstone
Solihull
Sutton
Torquay
Tranmere
Woking
Wrexham

*always a risk their financial problems don't resolve, in which case York likely to be reinstated.

The new arrivals don't set the pulse racing. Orient were my local team when I lived in London, while we've played Hartlepool often enough. 3 of the promoted sides Ebbsfleet, Fylde and Maidenhead have significant financial backers. Don't think we've played the southern pair, but did meet Fylde in a pre-season friendly. For reasons of geography, I'm quite pleased Halifax are back, though still would prefer a trip to Haig Avenue rather than the Shay.

On paper, I don't think the strength of this league has changed greatly. The relegated sides are weaker in playing staff and finances than Lincoln or Forest Green, but no obvious strugglers have come up this year (like North Ferriby) and it would be no surprise to see one or more of the promoted trio with funds in the play-off mix, while Halifax should hold their own.

Too early to make assessments of how Rovers will fare next season, but with a number of players out of contract and moving on, I would be wary of making assumptions that the title is there for the taking. Those sides like Aldershot, who have their key players already signed up are in a stronger starting position.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I largely agree with Boz's assessment. However, while we are not a shoo-in for the title, we are in a strong position. The bulk of the squad will remain with us and if we do lose players we have the resources to bring in decent replacements.

Until squads are settled it is difficult to predict who the front runners will be. As was the case this season with Lincoln and Aldershot, there will probably be some surprise contenders. However, I think Aldershot, Dagenham, Barrow and possibly Hartlepool will be our main challengers. The promoted clubs, Fylde and Ebbsfleet, will probably be there or thereabouts, but I am not sure they can win the league in their first season.

For me personally, Ebbsfleet are the most interesting of the new teams. While it is true they are bankrolled, unlike FGR, Fylde and the rest they were always a substantial non-league club with decent support in their former guise of Gravesend and Northfleet. Both my parents and most of my family are from the town, and my uncle lives in the same road as the ground. I used to watch them occasionally when I was a kid and it will be surreal for me to see Rovers walking out at Stonebridge Road next season.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Any divided loyalties when Rovers take on Ebbsfleet, RLC?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Everyone can surely understand now how it took a well supported club like Luton Town five seasons to get back into the Football League. Never has the maxim "There's no prize for finishing second." been more true. However, I stand by my earlier comment that we have a better chance of winning the league next year than last Saturday's final. I agree that any departing players will be replaced and we will be at least as strong next season. We should therefore have the best squad as well as the best support.

M

Mal

Everyone can surely understand now how it took a well supported club like Luton Town five seasons to get back into the Football League. Never has the maxim "There's no prize for finishing second." been more true. However, I stand by my earlier comment that we have a better chance of winning the league next year than last Saturday's final. I agree that any departing players will be replaced and we will be at least as strong next season. We should therefore have the best squad as well as the best support.
I guess it takes a few years to understand that trying to play like Barcelona doesn't work in this division. Better to do an old-style Wimbledon with players who want to win.

and looks like at least a quarter of the teams were in the League 2 at some point in time.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
and with the retaining top third budget, anyone that does go will be suitably replaced, you hope with better quality.

Player
Manager
John King
Any divided loyalties when Rovers take on Ebbsfleet, RLC?
No, I will be 100% supporting Tranmere. Although I have got a soft spot for them I would not want them to finish above us, which is possible with the money they have got.

If / when we lose to them I will never hear the end of it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Top third budget means one of the 8 sides with the biggest budget. In theory, there could be 7 teams with more to spend than us.

One of the areas where I have some reservations over Micky, is transfer dealings. Of the players he's bought, Buxton and Wallace have been qualified successes, Dawson and Mangan nowhere near the level of their first stints at the club and none of the loan players have made much impact. He's done far better in building the confidence of those already at the club like Stockton and Ridehalgh. Naturally, there will be a much wider pool of talent available over the summer and it may be that his hand was forced by who was available when he joined us.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think any of Mellon's signings have been an unqualified success, apart from Tollitt who was brought here by Carden originally. However, as we found in the previous season, it is generally just the dross that is available in mid-season in the NL. Until he has had a full pre-season, it will be difficult to judge Mellon's recruitment.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The 18 month deal given to Wallace in my view was a mistake given his history. It's sad to see but he missed several weeks a few months ago and is now out again for a while (who knows how long). I can only assume he's on a pay as you play deal.

As for Dawson, much as it pains me to say it, we need to move him on. To be fair to Mangan I still think he would score goals if played up top with someone like Cook but that just won't happen whilst Nors is with us.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Steve Jennings in talks over a new deal according to matt jones & apparently we have offered a contract to Jack Dunn though he has several other offers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Steve Jennings? Not sure I can see him helping us win the championship. Surely it's a low wage and keep him as a squad player.

As for Dunn, I think if he got a run of games he could be useful. Suspect he'll sign for a league club tho

Player
Manager
John King
I am surprised we have offered Jennings a new deal. I think we could do with some younger legs and more mobility in midfield.

I am not sure about Dunn either to be honest. I thought his decision making was terrible on Sunday, although he is still young and has time to improve.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I don't suppose Jay Harris will be ready for the start of the new season, so there might be an argument for keeping Jennings as cover. However, I agree that younger legs and greater mobility are more needed.

Dunn has been unconvincing during his loan spell, but with his Liverpool pedigree will probably get an offer from a FL club.

Player
Manager
John King
According to matt Jones, tollitt, Harris and Wallace all expect to take part in pre season, which is a positive.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Steve Jennings! I suppose as a backup he'd be OK, although he hasn't been much use for the last six months.
Agree about Dunn, seems quite raw, but maybe a decent run in the side would help him.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'd welcome Jack Dunn, as I'd like to see what he could do with a decent, injury free run in the first team. Although he was ineffective on Saturday with his optimistic goal attempts, he'd have been a hero if his first one had gone in. I think he has potential. But I agree he will probably go elsewhere. We seem to sign mainly NL players.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Encouraging news about the injured players. Assuming he'll be offered a new deal, was there any mention of Kirby? Would have thought a broken leg would heal easier than an ACL.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Play offs will be extended to 6 teams next season, teams finishing 2nd and 3rd will have a home semi final so wont be a two leg affair

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
So a team finishing in 7th could potentially be promoted. Joke..