• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Rovers

Match result

• Newport

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newport v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Rodney Parade
Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bringing on a more defensive pair when MM accepts we needed attacking movement makes no sense. He should have been looking to get Hawkes on sooner.
I didn't think his subs were that bad, considering the lack of options. Lewis had to go off and Merrie was just overrun in midfield. He started well but faded. Nolan took up a fairly advanced position when he came on and did well with his passing and footwork if off the pace a little.

My big concern is the five man defence and lack of attacking options. Also, composure was lacking again today, as we did have chances but sadly couldn't find the target.

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
I can understand why he couldn’t change the attack, but find Micky’s explanation for changing the midfield unconvincing. Bringing on a more defensive pair when MM accepts we needed attacking movement makes no sense. He should have been looking to get Hawkes on sooner.
I think he’s a bad tactician and a bad coach - end of !

drwhoman

See what happens before the window ends. We definitely need reinforcements particularly in attack. If nothing happens and this continues then the pressure on MM is only going to grow. Mid table or worse in L2 is simply not acceptable for Tranmere.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Whoever is respoonsible for recruitment, he's got a lot of work to do with this squad and I think we are just going to have to be patient as frustrating as it is. It's a young squad and it's going to take time. Micky admits he didn't have any answer for today but let's hope he can find a system that works.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Whoever is respoonsible for recruitment, he's got a lot of work to do with this squad and I think we are just going to have to be patient as frustrating as it is. It's a young squad and it's going to take time. Micky admits he didn't have any answer for today but let's hope he can find a system that works.
Vaughan in charge of recruitment

Player
Aldo
Looking at the squad the forward line looks weak. It is hard to imagine Burton or Jolley will get a run in the team , Mumbongo, ok he played in the Prem, but otherwise not much of a track record, is he injured ? and Nevitt is still trying to establish himself. Mickey, in the interview, sounded like they haven't got the money to bring anyone in , which makes me wonder why we have a sporting director and 12 midfielders. We are going to have to keep things tight at the back to get anything out of this season.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I’d imagine there would be others involved in recruiting a player, not just sole responsibility.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Looking at the squad the forward line looks weak. It is hard to imagine Burton or Jolley will get a run in the team , Mumbongo, ok he played in the Prem, but otherwise not much of a track record, is he injured ? and Nevitt is still trying to establish himself. Mickey, in the interview, sounded like they haven't got the money to bring anyone in , which makes me wonder why we have a sporting director and 12 midfielders. We are going to have to keep things tight at the back to get anything out of this season.
I mentioned this a few weeks ago. The recruitment was purely around this fixed system of 5-3-2. Although we had merrie and OConnor, we brought in Lewis, Nolan, Rhys hughes and mcalear. So six centre mids. At the back we had Davies and brought in Hockenhull, turnbull, Byrne, Jameson and Robinson. 6 options for centre back. All that money spent leaving us with little for decent wingers (especially now Morris in injured), or front men. Hemmings is the only reliable scorer we have. Nevitt just isn’t good enough on a regular basis and mumbongo wasn’t fit when he came and now has a thigh issue. The squad is really unbalanced and that lies with Vaughan and Micky

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yea MP and his Agent mate with James are all involved with the recruitment Look at the end of the day we are weak up top and need some wide players, and the Fact the Manager says he doesn't know how to change things is very worrying

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yea and even Hemmings has scored 1 in 5 he needs to stay around the box and stop playing deep

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a Jekyll and Hyde performance which highlighted the naivety and lack of experience in the squad.

For the first thirty minutes we were very good and in complete control. We passed the ball better and created more opportunities than a poor Newport side that was nowhere near the standard of the teams that we have played in recent seasons. We had several good chances before the opening goal, and at that stage I thought we would see a repeat of the Gillingham performance. However, we had a really sloppy five minute spell where we turned the ball over in midfield and defended our eighteen yard box poorly, resulting in the quick concession of the two goals. Incredibly frustrating, as Newport really were average and their first goal was their first shot of the game. Our game management was very poor in that period, and effectively cost us the game.

We never recovered our composure or confidence after conceding those quick goals. There was no lack of effort in the second half, but we huffed and puffed and created very little. There was very little invention from the midfield and a lot of 'safe' passes, and Newport dropped off and defended deep for the entire half which negated the impact of the wing backs who had no space to run into.

I agree that we could have changed shape to try and get something going, but I agreed with the decision to bring O'Connor on. Both of Newport's goals resulted from a lack of protection for the back five, and we looked weak defensively when possession was turned over in the closing stages of the first half. However, I would have replaced MaClear and left Merrie and Lewis on, both of whom I thought were decent in possession of the ball. Merrie played well in the attacking sense, but did give away possession cheaply in the build up to Newport's first goal which probably influenced Mellon's decision. He clearly does not like the defensive aspects of his game, rightly or wrongly.

Incredibly frustrating, as we clearly had more quality than Newport but simply could not sustain a ninety minute performance.

As an afterword, I have seen some suggestion above that Hemmings is not good enough. Nonsense in my view. He is simply going through a tough period that all strikers have. He could, and probably should, have scored two today from one v ones, so he is still getting in the right positions, even if a finish is currently lacking. The attacking issues are elsewhere, in the lack of competition up front, and the general lack of quality and creativity in the second half performance.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with RLC about Hemmings. His record speaks for itself and let’s face it, despite a couple of chances today since he’s been with us he’s hardly had loads of decent service. His strike partner has been a novice in Nevitt. I’m sure Kane would love to have someone like cookie to do all the dirty work leaving him space etc but unfortunately he’s our main man in a team that over 90 minutes isn’t creating much

ADD

Player
Norwood
Bad coach with 5 promotions on his cv
Some time ago - with players he/ Vaughan didn't recruit. His recent record is demotion/ relegation (call it as you will) then a very average season in Scotland having left us for pastures new where neither the club nor the fans warmed to him, failure last season when despite the best home record in the division our away form meant we didn't even make the playoffs and now already 6 points off playoffs.
Look it is what it is - I don't believe for one second that MM has bought into the supposed new attack minded goals goals strategy and I don't think he ever will. I also don't think that he has had anywhere near as much input into the recruitment as he as our Manager should have had so yes I do believe that he is working with hands tied behind his back.
As such I think we need to either switch back to his preferred methodogy or we will continue to struggle and arguably he needs to go. He cut to my mind a dispirited figure today but the fact he admitted he didn't know how to switch things around was telling.
As to the game itself his treatment of Merrie smacks as a vendetta - you could almost imagine him wanting to drop him for today now O'Connor was fit again but felt he couldn't justify it - Merrie was I felt good first half and was trying to find players with balls on the deck (with very often no one showing) but no he got pulled as soon as MM felt able to.
Finally I agree with others re Hemmings - he is class at this level but is being asked to do the donkey work and all the time playing too deep he is bound to be affecting/ frustrating him so no surprise he missed presentable chances today.

Player
Aldo
Some time ago - with players he/ Vaughan didn't recruit. His recent record is demotion/ relegation (call it as you will) then a very average season in Scotland having left us for pastures new where neither the club nor the fans warmed to him, failure last season when despite the best home record in the division our away form meant we didn't even make the playoffs and now already 6 points off playoffs.
Look it is what it is - I don't believe for one second that MM has bought into the supposed new attack minded goals goals strategy and I don't think he ever will. I also don't think that he has had anywhere near as much input into the recruitment as he as our Manager should have had so yes I do believe that he is working with hands tied behind his back.
As such I think we need to either switch back to his preferred methodogy or we will continue to struggle and arguably he needs to go. He cut to my mind a dispirited figure today but the fact he admitted he didn't know how to switch things around was telling.
As to the game itself his treatment of Merrie smacks as a vendetta - you could almost imagine him wanting to drop him for today now O'Connor was fit again but felt he couldn't justify it - Merrie was I felt good first half and was trying to find players with balls on the deck (with very often no one showing) but no he got pulled as soon as MM felt able to.
Finally I agree with others re Hemmings - he is class at this level but is being asked to do the donkey work and all the time playing too deep he is bound to be affecting/ frustrating him so no surprise he missed presentable chances today.
Even the best stikers do well to score 1 in 3, and there hasn't been many games were either of our strikers have had 3 chances.
Re Merrie , Micky didn't really fancy him last year ... so what has changed ? Not sure that I would call it a vendetta though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
ADD makes some valid points. It does make you think whether Palios was very impressed with Vaughan and gave him this recruitment job and to direct a change of policy.

Micky always like his seasoned pros who ran the dressing room for him: McNulty, Scottie, Clarke etc. he’s had success with that sort of thing and I’m sure won’t like this new direction we’ve gone in.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As to the game itself his treatment of Merrie smacks as a vendetta
Similar to your attitude towards Mellon, despite his immense contribution to this club and others ?

For what it's worth, I don't believe there is any 'vendetta'. Mellon simply does not rate Merrie's all round game in midfield, and probably sees his defensive contribution as a weakness. You can disagree with his opinion, but it is still a rational one on his part. As I have said, I would have left Merrie on and taken McAlear off at half time today.

Missing out on the play offs by two points last season was not a 'failure', nor was keeping Dundee United in the SPL in their first season at that level for five years. The squad in the first half of the 19-20 season was completely inadequate for League One, but we had a very good chance of staying up after the January reinforcements. However, you seem to have swallowed the Rick Parry line wholesale.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I think Micky just doesn’t rate merrie that much. After all he brought in lots of new centre mids and Bristow and Robinson who can play left back. That’s the way football works.