• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Newport v Rovers

Match result

• Newport

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Newport v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Rodney Parade
Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, August 20, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The defence was poor in that period, but there were not really any options on the bench to change things.
This is one of the big problems. Let's be honest, the squad is paper thin and the players are young and inexperienced. Looking now at the last half a dozen games, Mellon has got some work to do with that squad. I still do think we will improve but this season but not so much were we are challenging for anything. The squad is just not good or experienced enough.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
They play Man City today, I will be watching to see what they look like.
Newcastle also play wolves next Sunday so I’m sure they’ll play a weakened team against us but it’ll still probably be enough to beat us but you never know

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
This is one of the big problems. Let's be honest, the squad is paper thin and the players are young and inexperienced. Looking now at the last half a dozen games, Mellon has got some work to do with that squad. I still do think we will improve but this season but not so much were we are challenging for anything. The squad is just not good or experienced enough.
There is some experience like Hemmings, Lewis, turnbull and Byrne - but I don’t see any obvious leaders out there. Someone to hand out a rollicking like spearing and Clarke did. Someone who opposition would fear playing against. Someone to take the game by the scruff of the next

Again it boils down to recruitment and this policy of youngsters and get rid of the older players. Yes they didn’t play a high line but they knew how to defend

ADD

Player
Norwood
There is some experience like Hemmings, Lewis, turnbull and Byrne - but I don’t see any obvious leaders out there. Someone to hand out a rollicking like spearing and Clarke did. Someone who opposition would fear playing against. Someone to take the game by the scruff of the next

Again it boils down to recruitment and this policy of youngsters and get rid of the older players. Yes they didn’t play a high line but they knew how to defend
I would say that Turnbull seems to be consciously or not adopting the mantle of Clarke and being the voice of the defence - he absolutely roasted Byrne after the first goal and was the one more in the face of the referee than anyone else.

Player
Aldo

Totally agree re losing the leadership qualities of Clarke and Spearing, I would add Murphy and Scotty, even Vaughan to that list. Hopefully some of the new recruits will bring something.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Newcastle also play wolves next Sunday so I’m sure they’ll play a weakened team against us but it’ll still probably be enough to beat us but you never know
The important thing whatever team that they put out is that we do not get an absolute stuffing..... the youngsters do not need what little confidence they have shattered by a mauling.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King

Lack of leadership was a major issue yesterday. I don't think last season's squad would have capitulated in the same manner having taken the lead.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
One things for sure, with all this debate there are serious concerns amongst many of the SWA, even with 41 league games left to play. You do wonder how happy Micky is with the current playing style and change in philosophy …..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
683020E3-3643-4A6D-8C9C-35B52CA54E4B.png

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They play Man City today, I will be watching to see what they look like.
Think I'm going to skip it because they'll look awful against City which will give me false hope :lol: :laugh:

Player
Manager
John King
One things for sure, with all this debate there are serious concerns amongst many of the SWA, even with 41 league games left to play. You do wonder how happy Micky is with the current playing style and change in philosophy …..
We have started poorly under Mellon numerous times and still finished at the right end of the table. However, the concern this season is the blend of youth and experience in the squad, and the lack of the latter. Given the youth of the squad, there is a possibility that we will never achieve consistency this season.

Mellon would have wanted far greater experience in the squad, I am sure.

Time will tell.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We have started poorly under Mellon numerous times and still finished at the right end of the table. However, the concern this season is the blend of youth and experience in the squad, and the lack of the latter. Given the youth of the squad, there is a possibility that we will never achieve consistency this season.

Time will tell.
Yes and I think some of the SWA would accept that. A work in progress and some rebuilding. The question is whether form like one win in five is acceptable enough for the chairman. Still early days and Palios apparently told sky sports he doesn’t really look at things until 10 games in.

Player
Manager
John King
Yes and I think some of the SWA would accept that. A work in progress and some rebuilding. The question is whether form like one win in five is acceptable enough for the chairman. Still early days and Palios apparently told sky sports he doesn’t really look at things until 10 games in.
I think it will be acceptable to Palios, because it is largely his strategy.

Whether it is acceptable to a vocal minority of supporters is another matter.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Probably not. He is one of Beck's clients I believe.

He played in League One for Wigan when they were in administration and were forced to play the kids. They did not make much effort to keep him when his contract expired.

I think he is a reasonable player, but I am not sure why discussion of our current inconsistencies all ends up focussed on one player. It is classic displacement. Our current issues are wider and deeper than Chris Merrie.
I agree with your last sentence.

However if the midfield are seen as being scapegoated while the defence are viewed as untouchable sacred cows, then this approach will inevitably attract comment. The option of pulling a central defender, bringing Hawkes on and switching to a back four, which worked at Accrington was worth exploring here. Could have left one of Lewis/Merrie on, either of whom posed more attacking threat that the second half subs.

Player
Manager
John King
I agree with your last sentence.

However if the midfield are seen as being scapegoated while the defence are viewed as untouchable sacred cows, then this approach will inevitably attract comment. The option of pulling a central defender, bringing Hawkes on and switching to a back four, which worked at Accrington was worth exploring here. Could have left one of Lewis/Merrie on, either of whom posed more attacking threat that the second half subs.
Who mentioned sacred cows ? There have been several changes at the back already this season. However, I did not think Turnbull and Jameson had individually bad games, the penalty incident aside, so I would not have messed around with the defence. I might have switched to a back four, but purely for tactical reasons, to give Newport something different to think about.

The midfield did not function properly at the end of the first half, and Mellon was entitled to make changes in that area. He took off Lewis in addition to Merrie.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Who mentioned sacred cows ? There have been several changes at the back already this season. However, I did not think Turnbull and Jameson had individually bad games, the penalty incident aside, so I would not have messed around with the defence. I might have switched to a back four, but purely for tactical reasons, to give Newport something different to think about.

The midfield did not function properly at the end of the first half, and Mellon was entitled to make changes in that area. He took off Lewis in addition to Merrie.
It’s about perceptions. Both goals we conceded were eminently preventable and the first was almost entirely down to failings by the defenders. Jamieson fluffed his clearance for their first goal so has to accept some responsibility for that. Only Turnbull seemed to have a reasonably steady game defensively.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I thought Jameson had a pretty poor game yesterday. I was hoping MM might have hooked him at HT to bolsten the midfield.