• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

New Signings-- Who do you want??

Player
Nixon
Lets see who we would like (within reason) no Messi shouts please.

I wonder if Ronnie will go for the player who he signed and then Barnes binned. Without ever seeing the pitch or a squad number.

I'd like to see Hume back,, is he at a better club in Preston ????

Wallace on a year long deal- Dont think he will get a start for Everton next year.

Robbie Fowler is looking for a club :shock::shock::shock:[-X

cant believe the season is over, depression is already setting in.

Player
Goodison
Zander Diamond appears to be under consideration. We couldn't afford Hume and I doubt he would suit Ronnie's hoof, he also not that prolific - I wouldn't turn him down though.

Signing Wallace if he doesn't get a new deal at Everton would be a good move, getting Cassidy back for next season whilst Wolves are still in a mess would be good as well. Barnsley have released 35 year old goalkeeper David Preece - I don't know if he's any good but we need an experienced keeper as back up to Fon Williams.

Brentford have released Marcus Bean - 27 year old Jamaican central midfielder who seems to have had a decent career - could be worth a look at. Gary Roberts is out of contract at Huddersfield this season - he's a good player at this level and signing him would be more out of hope than expectation.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah it was Mark Allott - released by relegated Chesterfield and getting on a bit now.

I was surprised about Danny Harrison as he has been a regular there but has suffered from a new manager coming in.

Craig Curran is available but dont want him - his record at Carlisle, 8 goals in 70 appearances, is about right for him I would say.

Cant see Hume coming - he'll be on big money at Preston.

Wallace would be good if Everton dont want him but I suspect Cassidy who scored a few goals for us in league one, might be a bit higher up the pecking order at Wolves now they are in the championship depending if they keep Fletcher/Doyle etc.

Perhaps a more realistic target I would like is Marc Richards of Port Vale. I have always liked him, he got 16 goals and is out of contract. A big target man with an eye for goal and takes decent penalties. Plenty of clubs will be sniffing round him though wth bigger budgets than ours I would guess.

Zander Diamond has been training with us for a week so I think Ronnie wants him (decent centre half although has injury problems), but he left Oldham who couldnt afford to take up the option of his 2nd year so suprised if we can. May depend of course if Ash/Goodi sign up.

One player we wont be signing is Presto forward and ex red man Neil Mellor - who has retired due to injury (a bit of a cheat anyway if memory serves me right). Jon Macken released from Walsall - another one getting one a bit but knows where the goal is.

Wrexham who didnt go up might have half decent players available too

I love this time of year !! All the comings and goings, seeing who is available.

Player
Goodison
One player we wont be signing is Presto forward and ex red man Neil Mellor - who has retired due to injury (a bit of a cheat anyway if memory serves me right).

Diving cheat who is no loss to football - he's another one of these big strikers who can't take a challenge. Good riddance.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm not altogether feeling confident about having Akins and McGurk on the wings. I hope Ronnie manages to get better quality in before the season starts.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
I agree this time of year is brilliant.

I would expect with shipping Enoch and Chicken out we will be looking for another big fella up front. Macken would fit the bill certainly as would the likes of Akinfenwa and dare I say it Heskey?(getting on a bit and not really been tearing up tree's) Also believe we have been speaking to Marc Richards, knows were the net is.
I would suggest a small man to play up top as well, a fox in the box kind of player, one name I have heard rumoured a lot is Lee Trundle, again getting on a bit but with things going wrong at Neath could be a possibility. Fowler? This is probably going to be Ronnies biggest head ache, goal scorers simply dont grow on tree's.
As for a GK I would suggest we are likely to do what we did with Miotto. Bring in an older keeper and give him a coaching role as well, effectively removing 1 wage.
Replacing Welsh, Ladabie and Weir is going to be interesting and I have heard Ronnie has made enquiries to bringing Steve Jennings back who has just refused a contract at Rotherham. Believe Ronnie has also made contact with Anthony Kay.
To be honest there are going to be hundreds of players scrabbling around for contracts and I feel confident with a respected manager such as Ronnie in charge we are more likely to get players taking a punt on us.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
BBE, are you serious? Most of the players you mention would make Goodi look like a spring chicken. We need experience, yes, but have they still got the legs?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Heskey ?!? Is that some sort of joke ?

I see Preston having captured Welsh have now snapped up Shane Sheriff on a free so along with Hume so its a Rovers Old Boys side !

Lets just hope Buchanan isnt added to the list...

Player
Jimmy Harvey
Buchanen has signed a 2 year deal with us......

Fowler was said tongue in cheek, his name pops up every year just thought it would be nice to get it out of the way early:-D

As for Heskey played premiership football this year, and all I said was Ronnie likes a target man.

As for Trundle all I can say is watch this space..........believe we have also been in contact with Sheff Wed about a long term loan for Lowe.

O

OneNightInGayParis

I agree this time of year is brilliant.

... Macken ... Akinfenwa ... Heskey ... Trundle ... Fowler ... an older keeper ... I feel confident with a respected manager such as Ronnie in charge we are more likely to get players taking a punt on us.

I believe Dave Philpotts is also scouring the nursing homes in the North West. Last point valid, though.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Would be pleased with Lowe, always thought we should have signed him when he was at Chester and Shrewsbury.

He couldnt get in the Sheff Wed team towards the end of the season so can't see him making it in the championship.

He'll prob be on a decent wage though by our standards and as he scored a lot of goals for Bury in league one, bigger clubs than us will want him - but I'd be made up if we could snap him up, even tho he must be getting on a bit.

Player
Jimmy Harvey
The point I have made clumsily regarding the keeper situation is we have released Coughlin and the gk coach Timmins has gone to coach elsewhere. That leaves us with 2 positions to fill and it could be we sign an older keeper like we did with Miotto and register him as both coach and reserve keeper saving a wage. Its not like we havent done it before.
As for the strikers as was proved when we played Cassidy and Brunt together last season often 2 young players struggle against an experienced centre half so i would expect to see at least one older head signed, their wages would also likely be less.

O

OneNightInGayParis

The goalkeeping point is a fair one and makes good sense - apologies for (kind of) misquoting you!

I'm not sure on the older striker front, though. There is "experienced" and there is "old"! Aldo worked - but Aldo was Aldo and it would be impossible to find an equivalent. However, some of our best strikers have been signed with their best days ahead of them - Clarke, Clayton, Muir, Greenacre. Not easy to do because it means picking the talent, but I guess that is Ronnie and Dave's jobs!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hopefully the news on Buchanan does turn out to be correct. If so agree with ONIGP about 4/5 being pretty good going.

I'd also support the idea of experienced keeper to sit on the bench and be the goalie coach.

I see Lateef has been released by WBA. If Les was still in charge, we might have made a move for him and he would be a decent addition if we could afford. However doubt he's on Ronnie's radar.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Would have been pleased if we had got Sherriff - always rated him. Also would have kept Raven - decent player across the back and could have held down right back place, but for injury and excellent form of Holmes.

Ref GK - agree with logic of signing experienced player/coach. Note oxford use Wayne Brown (ex Chester, Bury 35) in similar role.

Have a feeling Ronnie may recruit Danny harrison to replace Welch. Someone earlier said Welch combatitive holding role one of the easier roles to fill - so8-[

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I would be a bit surprised if Ronnie brought in Danny Harrison, given he originally let him go. In his Rovers days, Danny was a bit lightweight in the tackling department; he's not the same type of player as Welsh although they play in similar positions.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Harrison is s##te hope he doesnt return, im not sure on lateef looked a bit unfit this time round