• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Micky sacked

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Allegedly.

In any case, I would imagine it is commonplace for managers to keep in touch with clubs via their agents, given the precariousness of the profession.
No allegedly about it, he was also interviewed for a championship job during the season

Player
Aldo
Sad to see Mickey go, yes the last couple of seasons hasn't been great to watch , but short of a decent keeper and at least one decent striker we would have had good first 11. There obviously isn't the money there, maybe MP should have made it clearer so the fans could have lowered their expectations . So MP is looking to 'buy cheap and sell on' and maybe Mickey isn't the guy for that role, but it might be tricky to find someone who is capable of this and I am sure many of the owners in L1/L2 are looking to do the same. I have no insight into Dawes/Parkies contribution to the signings, maybe others on the forum know something , maybe they had good ideas that were rejected or maybe they recommended some of underwhelming talent we have signed recently but I do believe that continuity is important at the club and with the current state of contracts we don't get that from the players.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He's had successes for many years so I think it's fair to say he knows what he's doing. The squad was barebones and with those injuries we got found out bigtime. I just hope the board learn from their mistakes. Big clear out needed.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’m not sure I agree with all the criticism of Palios. Yes they have made mistakes but they can’t be blamed for our budget. They only have so much money to go around. Micky often made the point about the markets we were shopping in, suggesting we didn’t have a lot of money and had to risk risky signings like glatzel and ageing players like nolan.

As I say they have made mistakes. Arguably Micky was their only successful management appointment. The whole policy this season of youth and development contradicted totally with what Micky is good at, and the Palios have to take some flak for that change in approach which in terms of results, hasn’t worked.

I feel for Micky a bit. He had to work with that approach as he needed a job. But Vaughan left who was key in that change in policy. And now Palios has sacked him for it not working, which Micky probably knew might happen when he was explained to him.

Hey ho. Football management is a cut throat business
That sums up my view 100%. Given a competitive budget, which allowed him to recruit a couple of decent strikers and a slightly bigger first-team squad, he might have stood a chance. The killer blow was the complete change of policy, bringing in youngsters to develop at the expense of the senior players Micky liked to work with. It was not what he signed up for.

On the brighter side, I am sure he feels well out of it and will surely get a new job at this level with a club which works more in his way. I wish him luck, but he is good enough not to need it.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
No allegedly about it, he was also interviewed for a championship job during the season
Legally as per his contract he can only do so with his club's permission. I think he was allowed to speak to Swansea? He did speak to Dundee who mate Palios's financial demands. If he did make an illegal approach, we certainly would not know about it.
Doesn't matter now, unless he returns after a fall further downwards when his worth would once again be high locally!!

Player
Jonny Morrisey
As sad as I am about his sacking, more in part to his previous reign, I think this was inevitable given our results of late. He'll forever be a Tranmere legend to most and is our 2nd most successful manager in our history so we have a lot to thank him for.

Moving forward, I think we need to have a clear out including Dawes and Parkinson who as someone else has also pointed out, they have been a part of the backroom staff (assistant) of three 'failed' managers. A fresh start I feel!

With that in mind, who is available; who would be interested; and who would you guys like to see in charge? What about Karl Robinson?

Stickman

Player
Aldo
I also think Dawes and Parkinson should leave the club as soon as the new manager is appointed, unless Parkinson returns to a youth role. They have worked under three different managers now, none of whom have ultimately been successful. There is no reason why they should get a free ride.
I'm not so sure about this. When they took sole charge after Jackson, they seemed to transform the performances of the team and we went on a great run. I was actually disappointed when Hill was appointed and saw it as a waste of money (during the Covid season when our income was very low). Being assistant/coach is not the same as being the manager, who will more than likely get his way and have much more influence over tactics and selection. I would give them until the end of the season and if they have a positive impact, I'd consider offering them a 1 year deal.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
As sad as I am about his sacking, more in part to his previous reign, I think this was inevitable given our results of late. He'll forever be a Tranmere legend to most and is our 2nd most successful manager in our history so we have a lot to thank him for.

Moving forward, I think we need to have a clear out including Dawes and Parkinson who as someone else has also pointed out, they have been a part of the backroom staff (assistant) of three 'failed' managers. A fresh start I feel!

With that in mind, who is available; who would be interested; and who would you guys like to see in charge? What about Karl Robinson?
I would be happy with Robinson but think he's out of our price range

Outoftowner

Player
Chris Merrie
Manager
Micky Mellon
A very sad day. A great servant of the club and I wish him the best for the future.

Throwing Mellon under the bus is the easy part. It is now time for MP to demonstrate that he can recruit a) a manager and b) a squad of players capable of success at this level.
(a) needed to go

(b) will do well under a manager who knows what he’s doing !

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Firstly I share the general feeling of sadness about Micky's departure and wish him all the best going forward. He has given me some of the best moments in my time as a Rovers fan, which will not be forgotten.

Was it the right call for Micky to return after his time in Dundee? Hindsight would suggest not, although as Kingy showed it is possible to do better on your second stint in charge, but still think he was probably the best option available at the time. Mixed messages about whether MM knew the development project was in the pipeline when he joined or we swapped horses mid-stream. Last season was a disappointment given we had a squad capable of making the play-offs, but this season's had a mid-table feel about it and with the injuries to key players; Morris(twice) Davies and Hemmings that has depressed our placing a bit. So I don't feel our current position is that bad weighed against realistic expectations.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out for the rest of the season under Dawes and Parky. I had felt that the turnaround they affected post-Jackson was more an indicator of Jacko's failings in the hot-seat, but he had a fair, if ultimately unsuccessful stab at keeping Burnley up when caretaker there. Undoubtedly there was greater quality with that Rovers squad than the one they will be handling now.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

Agree with bigmart that Robinson likely to be out of our price-range as will the Cowleys. After his disastrous spell at Charlton, would hope any talk of Nigel Adkins goes nowhere. Of the others with FL experience more likely to be available and affordable, one name suggested is ex-Crewe boss Dave Artell. Have to say he's come across as slightly strange and unsure he'd be a good fit in terms of fan relations although his Crewe team played reasonable football.

An alternative option, particularly if the development model continues would be to go for someone with proven experience in the non-league who can hopefully make the step-up, like the Alty Phil Parkinson for example.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I'm not so sure about this. When they took sole charge after Jackson, they seemed to transform the performances of the team and we went on a great run. I was actually disappointed when Hill was appointed and saw it as a waste of money (during the Covid season when our income was very low). Being assistant/coach is not the same as being the manager, who will more than likely get his way and have much more influence over tactics and selection. I would give them until the end of the season and if they have a positive impact, I'd consider offering them a 1 year deal.
I think they will get until the end of the season. However, when a new manager is appointed in the summer I think they should go.

They were in charge for only four league games in their previous stint, so it is difficult to judge their performance using such a small sample of matches. I think we will get a better idea of their abilities in the longer period of games ahead, particularly as they are taking over a weaker squad this time around.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Agree with bigmart that Robinson likely to be out of our price-range as will the Cowleys. After his disastrous spell at Charlton, would hope any talk of Nigel Adkins goes nowhere. Of the others with FL experience more likely to be available and affordable, one name suggested is ex-Crewe boss Dave Artell. Have to say he's come across as slightly strange and unsure he'd be a good fit in terms of fan relations although his Crewe team played reasonable football.

An alternative option, particularly if the development model continues would be to go for someone with proven experience in the non-league who can hopefully make the step-up, like the Alty Phil Parkinson for example.
I agree completely with this. On paper, Artell seems a strong candidate, but he is very much a Marmite character, similar to Keith Hill, and not the sort of personality that goes down well with our fans.

Robinson would also be my preferred choice, but is very unlikely to come.

I too hope Adkins is not in the running. He seems well past his sell by date.

Stickman

Player
Aldo
I think they will get until the end of the season. However, when a new manager is appointed in the summer I think they should go.

They were in charge for only four league games in their previous stint, so it is difficult to judge their performance using such a small sample of matches. I think we will get a better idea of their abilities in the longer period of games ahead, particularly as they are taking over a weaker squad this time around.
Agree, the squad is weaker and currently depleted. Won't be easy to get any more out of them.

drwhoman

Very sad day. I would be most surprised if we find someone who can do better. We can blame the owners but football is a hit and miss business and there is an argument that Rovers would be in a far worse position without Mark and Nicola. The Club is in the shadow of two very wealthy teams geographically and it would be hard to find someone to put the significant money in that would be needed for a significant upgrade in our status in the football pyramid. Gates of around 6/7k simply do not cut it as a business proposition and any new Manager will know that he has to work with limited funds. I just hope that this decision does not backfire. At least with Mickey we knew where we were.

Player
Ian Goodison
A very sad day indeed but I honestly feel Mickey would have walked of his own accord come the end of the season anyway (end of contract).

We are 99% safe in League Two so use this time to find the right person who can hit the ground running in the summer.

The first person I would contact would be Karl Robinson who is vastly experienced at this level and living locally might be a pull.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Hi guys yeah a sad day but it has been coming with piss poor football and all that let's hope we see some sort of change over the next few weeks as for a new manager we wait and see

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree completely with this. On paper, Artell seems a strong candidate, but he is very much a Marmite character, similar to Keith Hill, and not the sort of personality that goes down well with our fans.

Robinson would also be my preferred choice, but is very unlikely to come.

I too hope Adkins is not in the running. He seems well past his sell by date.
Yes I agree. Adkins success was a long long time ago. Artell comes across a bit of a strange character.

Robinson would be my choice. Working so local may help and although he wouldn’t come cheap, he’s just been sacked by a league one club. A league two club with promotion aspirations may appeal to him if he thinks he could add another promotion to his CV.

All comes down to budget. If he’s got the impression we’ve got an average budget then he may prefer to wait for something better