• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Micky sacked

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A sad day

Tranmere Rovers have today relieved Manager Micky Mellon of his first team duties.

Chairman Mark Palios said “From both a personal and a Club perspective this hasn’t been an easy decision. Micky has a special place in the hearts of Tranmere fans thanks to the back to back promotions in 2018 and 2019. Since he returned to the Club in 2021 after a year in Scotland, we haven’t managed to achieve the success we both wanted and I reluctantly came to the conclusion that a change was needed as we start recruitment preparations for next season. I would like to thank Micky for his contribution and efforts in both managerial stints at the Club.”

Ian Dawes will step in as caretaker manager assisted by Andy Parkinson whilst options are considered in preparation for the new season.

Reactions: Boz

overthewater

Player
chris malkin
Very disappointing. Much as I hope I'm wrong, I really can't see how Dawes and Parky can get any more out of the current group of players. MP's record for picking new managers isn't great so I'm really concerned about how this might pan out. Sometimes better the devil you know.....

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Inevitable, I/m afraid....we have to hope MP makes a better choice of manager than in some of his previous appointments. But "Thank You" Mickey for the many years of success you previously brought to the club.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A sad day but it was inevitable, the football was at times painful to watch and once the fans were had started to vote with their feet and turn on him.
Hopefully we have time now to properly plan for next season and vastly improve the recruitment

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I also think Dawes and Parkinson should leave the club as soon as the new manager is appointed, unless Parkinson returns to a youth role. They have worked under three different managers now, none of whom have ultimately been successful. There is no reason why they should get a free ride.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I also think Dawes and Parkinson should leave the club as soon as the new manager is appointed, unless Parkinson returns to a youth role. They have worked under three different managers now, none of whom have ultimately been successful. There is no reason why they should get a free ride.
Yes they were fortunate that Keith Hill kept them on albeit we went on a decent run with them in charge. I’m sure they are relatively cheap but I agree I’d like a brand new coaching staff to come in.

I too hope Micky does well in the future and can hopefully come back, perhaps with an away team, and get some sort of good reception. He deserves it

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Agree 100%. Despite their caretaker success they have now been the coaches under 3 sacked managers. Apart from giving the new man a free hand, to retain them would be to ignore the fact that they must form some part of the problem.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
So gutted!

the owners are not fit, to run our club, the heart and soul of what is Tranmere Rovers, has been ripped out and replaced with a simile of a football club. Going nowhere except down and struggling again. Very much like the end of PJs reign, when we slumped into the National league.

Parky can't get the youth job. There is no youth! No reserves, no academy, and a college which will never produce a pro!I
might be able to watch Liverpool ladies at Prenton Park, cos that is the only league football on show there.soon!

Thanks Mickey, you have done miracles, a true Rovers legend!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’m not sure I agree with all the criticism of Palios. Yes they have made mistakes but they can’t be blamed for our budget. They only have so much money to go around. Micky often made the point about the markets we were shopping in, suggesting we didn’t have a lot of money and had to risk risky signings like glatzel and ageing players like nolan.

As I say they have made mistakes. Arguably Micky was their only successful management appointment. The whole policy this season of youth and development contradicted totally with what Micky is good at, and the Palios have to take some flak for that change in approach which in terms of results, hasn’t worked.

I feel for Micky a bit. He had to work with that approach as he needed a job. But Vaughan left who was key in that change in policy. And now Palios has sacked him for it not working, which Micky probably knew might happen when he was explained to him.

Hey ho. Football management is a cut throat business

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Mellon was an experienced manager with previous successes. Despite the claims of the weirder so called fans he convinced me he would have stayed up in Div 1 and might well have stayed too himself to take it forward. Other similar managers Little, Moore, Adams and Hill probably now have a lower stock than Mickey except Ronnie. Palios only appointed two of them, who were unsuccessful.
Palios seems to have his own take on how to produce progress which currently centres itself on the treatment room and the far flung parts of non-league.
If he takes a novice as most novices never get another job it doesn't look good and if he goes for a made man well history doesn't bode well there either.
Did Micky let Palios down? Or did the reverse happen?
The manager is the easy target but after a while the Chair attracts the attention, I think that time is nearing.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Never nice that it has come to this but absolutely the correct decision albeit arguably two or three weeks too late when a new manager/ caretaker manager "bounce" might have given us an outside chance of making the playoffs.

MP takes a share of the blame however for re-employing MM - it is a shame that MM's reputation as Tranmere Manager has been inevitably tarnished somewhat by this unsuccessful second spell.

As to Dawes/ Parky also going I think they likely will as I doubt any future Manager will accept their retention but 9 games gives him a fair crack of the whip and it will be interesting to see how he sets us up going forward and if Dawes can get some decent performances from players who look disinterested.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Never nice that it has come to this but absolutely the correct decision albeit arguably two or three weeks too late when a new manager/ caretaker manager "bounce" might have given us an outside chance of making the playoffs.

MP takes a share of the blame however for re-employing MM - it is a shame that MM's reputation as Tranmere Manager has been inevitably tarnished somewhat by this unsuccessful second spell.

As to Dawes/ Parky also going I think they likely will as I doubt any future Manager will accept their retention but 9 games gives him a fair crack of the whip and it will be interesting to see how he sets us up going forward and if Dawes can get some decent performances from players who look disinterested.
I can almost guarantee the job will be this is your backroom staff. There will be the usual 70-90 applicants

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mellon was an experienced manager with previous successes. Despite the claims of the weirder so called fans he convinced me he would have stayed up in Div 1 and might well have stayed too himself to take it forward. Other similar managers Little, Moore, Adams and Hill probably now have a lower stock than Mickey except Ronnie. Palios only appointed two of them, who were unsuccessful.
Palios seems to have his own take on how to produce progress which currently centres itself on the treatment room and the far flung parts of non-league.
If he takes a novice as most novices never get another job it doesn't look good and if he goes for a made man well history doesn't bode well there either.
Did Micky let Palios down? Or did the reverse happen?
The manager is the easy target but after a while the Chair attracts the attention, I think that time is nearing.
Micky has been applying for jobs during the summer before our season in league 1

Player
Manager
John King
His reputation has not been tarnished in the eyes of many of us, almost certainly the majority.

Re-employing Mellon is not one of the mistakes Palios has made in recent years. There have been a few others.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky has been applying for jobs during the summer before our season in league 1
Won’t be surprised if Micky gets another job and achieves success with his model of senior pros and experience etc

Player
Manager
John King
Allegedly.

In any case, I would imagine it is commonplace for managers to keep in touch with clubs via their agents, given the precariousness of the profession.