• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Micky sacked

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
There will be a strange irony if Gill is appointed.

In the summer of 2014 Rob Edwards was appointed with the aim of developing youngsters, because the club did not have the resources to build an experienced squad. Palios promptly arrived, sacked him and appointed an experienced manager (Adams) who was backed heavily in the transfer market.

Nine years on and Palios sacks an experienced manager who has always performed when reasonably backed financially, and (so it seems) appoints Edwards' former assistant to oversee the development of young players, because the club does not have the resources for an experienced squad......

ADD

Player
Norwood
If it was Vaughan it would be bizarre given that the recruitment last summer was of 'variable' quality to put it mildly.
I agree... but I was going off the comment about the ITK being "underwhelmed" - and using a certain degree of surmising given MP clearly was trusting him a lot last Summer - eg some of the tension at pre-season Q & A when Vaughan and MP were front and center and MM at the back with the fans...
Anyway now sounds like it might well be Gill.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree the cyclic nature of management appointments from Palios’ arrival is slightly ironic. Recall he wanted Edwards to work with someone experience but the manager picked Gill instead. That didn’t work out too well

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
I must say with marks rep on Managers I hope he gets this right but they have to give him some backing or we are ******d and will go down

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed. I think someone mentioned the other day the new manager would be able to mold his own squad. I think it's largely down to budget and some other factors and I think choice will be very limited for him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Saw this on Twitter:

I saw Mark Palios in the directors box at Rochdale last night, I asked him straight we’re are we up to with the new manager, he then went on to talk for 5 minutes about the process of appointing a manager, I’ve still no idea we’re we are up to with appointing a new manager ‍♂️

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Saw this on Twitter:

I saw Mark Palios in the directors box at Rochdale last night, I asked him straight we’re are we up to with the new manager, he then went on to talk for 5 minutes about the process of appointing a manager, I’ve still no idea we’re we are up to with appointing a new manager ‍♂️
Did the Watford chairman tweet that?

drwhoman

I do sense more antipathy towards Palios these days. He is not getting any younger and must only have finite financial resources. That is the real key to all this. Unless a new well healed investor comes forward we will have to live within our means, however frustrating that is. I just hope it is enough to keep us in L2. As we’ll know, ownership of most football clubs is not a business proposition which does not make the quest for new funds any easier.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
It's remarkably naive to think a chairman will render up new information on the managerial situation. You will either get stonewalled or a polite political style discourse that tells you nothing.
We'll know when we know.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It's remarkably naive to think a chairman will render up new information on the managerial situation. You will either get stonewalled or a polite political style discourse that tells you nothing.
We'll know when we know.
If any of our customers asked our progress in recruiting a senior internal position, they would also get a very "diplomatic" answer. To do otherwise would be barmy!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Again probably meaningless but 3 candidates at 3/1 joint favourites now, Clint Hill, David Artell and Matthew Gill.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Bookies probably have got it wrong but those names are probably more realistic than Cowley’s or Karl Robinson

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Bookies probably have got it wrong but those names are probably more realistic than Cowley’s or Karl Robinson
Irrespective of who the new manager is, the bigger concern to me is that they are properly supported in terms of the quality of the squad, balance between youth and experience, number of potential goalscorers etc. That simply did not happen this season, or even last season it could be argued.

The trio of names mentioned could be promising managers in the right context, but the environment is key.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Irrespective of who the new manager is, the bigger concern to me is that they are properly supported in terms of the quality of the squad, balance between youth and experience, number of potential goalscorers etc. That simply did not happen this season, or even last season it could be argued.

The trio of names mentioned could be promising managers in the right context, but the environment is key.
That would mean learning from past mistakes, so unlikely to happen