• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Grimsby v Rovers

Grimsby v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Blundell Park
Saturday, December 10, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 10, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A total fluke but will take it, could do with an og now.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mumbongo on for O'Connor, be interesting see if he can make an impact or just get injured again

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Where do we go from here?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There's no lack of effort, there's just a big lack of quality out there.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Where do we go from here?
It's a very good question Ian. Ten games without a win isn't a position anyone wants to be in. I felt the score flattered us, Grimsby had more and better chances, were denied a 1:1 with a debatable offside flag and there was a possible late penalty for the hosts, though having seen it back, think I'd go with the referee rather than the commentary team. There were flickers of hope, while Burton's goal was a fluke, he looked more than a kid out of his depth today and Mumbongo looked better and a bit quicker than pre-injury. Turnbull is back from suspension next weekend and a pairing with Tom Davies ought to lead to some calmer defending. Need a win next weekend though, no question.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There's no lack of effort, there's just a big lack of quality out there.
I don't think Micky is getting the best out of the squad, there isn't enough risk taken to try and win a game.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Dear oh dear. I guess when I mentioned pre match that Grimsby had won 1 in 9 at home all season, had not won a league game in two months, but we got a good point at Northampton, it was all set up for a home win! That's 11 league games I think for us without a win - almost a quarter of the season.

We started ok and Morris pulled a shot just wide from a Hawkes cross. The opening 5 minutes were quite open and the hosts took the lead when McAtee was given lots of time on the left to swing in a cross. One of those where your not sure if the striker got a touch or it just sailed in at the back post. In the end it didn't matter - we were 1-0 down. We had chances to equalise in the first half - Hawkes with a poorly placed pass to put Hemmings through. Lewis fired a shot wide and Hemmings was just a bit slow to react to a Lewis cross and the defender cleared.

For the beginning of the second half they were in and around our box quite a bit and again scored from the left. Khan with a good free kick and their lad flicked it into the goal. Micky brought on Burton who to be fair got his goal albeit we were very fortunate when the keepers poor clearance hit him and went in. Mumbongo headed a great chance wide from a Burton knock on but the hosts could have scored a third.

The positive signs were Mumbongo looked a handful and Burton got his goal for sheer determination and had another snap shot saved. However I can't think of anyone that stood out to be honest for an obvious MOM. The full backs hardly got forward. Hawkes and Morris worked hard but again you look at their competition - what other wingers do we have to put some pressure on them? Over the course of the 90 minutes the two of them just didn't do enough.

Where do we go from here? I'm not sure. All we can do is keep plugging away and hope the tide turns. As I have said previously, Palios said this would be a season of ups and downs with all our young players - but how many downs can we take? He also said he hoped for goals goals goals - we look really poor in the final third at the moment. We're now 15th in the league and next Saturday host 19th place Crawley - if we don't win that then the pressure is really going to be on Micky. Personally there is a big shout for playing Burton and Mumbongo up front next week - but it won't happen. The latter perhaps not fit enough to start but I agree totally with Boz - Burton did well in the time he was on.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
and at the start of the season, he wanted more risk but it's Micky and he doesn't do risk either way MM needs credit but sometimes you need to change things we are going nowhere it seems we are just stagnating and not going to do shit all with this team we need a fresh approach and new ideas something to get hearts pumping talk tomorrow AM out Turkey is now calling

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Micky post match complimentary about burton but critical of the defence I.e. Bristow on how their striker got in front of him.

that got me thinking, do we have another proper left back? jameson can play there but is it another recruitment issue? Not having a back up for an inexperienced left back?

that got me thinking, do we have another proper left back? jameson can play there but is it another recruitment issue? Not having a back up for an inexperienced left back?
Robinson’s a proper left back, even though we only ever saw him filling in in a central three. I know he’s disppeared, presumably still injured, but I’d always considered his signing as being a back up to Bristow, and a useful alternative if we wanted to play a flat back four. Not much use now, mind!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I thought it was a poor performance today. We very poor defensively, both the back four and as an entire defensive unit. Their first goal set the tone, with Byrne kicking a ball against an opposition player which should have been cleared into the stand, and Bristow showing a lack of awareness of those around him to slice into his own net. There were particular problems down our left side where Bristow had a difficult afternoon and Byrne was very poor. The latter simply is not good enough in my view and will be replaced by Turnbull next week.

In possession of the ball we were quite laboured and did not create enough, at least until the last twenty minutes.

It was a game where seven or eight players were well below par and the outcome was as would be expected when there are so many poor displays. That does not particularly concern me, but of more concern is the six or seven games recently where we performed well but did not take three points due to our inability to put the ball in the net. The lack of goals in the side is still our major problem and until that issue is addressed any manager will struggle to get results with this squad, despite the predictable attacks on Mellon. Mellon's striking options today, Hemmings and a half-fit Mumbongo aside, were playing an average midfielder out of position as a number nine and bringing on a a kid as his replacement, who in my view is not good enough and will not make it with us in the long term.

On the latter point, the only real positive today was the performance of Mumbungo when he came off the bench. He gave us the pace and physical presence up front that we are seriously lacking and we immediately started to create chances when he came on the pitch. He should have equalised with the glancing header at the end but his overall performance was good.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I thought it was a poor performance today. We very poor defensively, both the back four and as an entire defensive unit. Their first goal set the tone, with Byrne kicking a ball against an opposition player which should have been cleared into the stand, and Bristow showing a lack of awareness of those around him to slice into his own net. There were particular problems down our left side where Bristow had a difficult afternoon and Byrne was very poor. The latter simply is not good enough in my view and will be replaced by Turnbull next week.

In possession of the ball we were quite laboured and did not create enough, at least until the last twenty minutes.

It was a game where seven or eight players were well below par and the outcome was as would be expected when there are so many poor displays. That does not particularly concern me, but of more concern is the six or seven games recently where we performed well but did not take three points due to our inability to put the ball in the net. The lack of goals in the side is still our major problem and until that issue is addressed any manager will struggle to get results with this squad, despite the predictable attacks on Mellon. Mellon's striking options today, Hemmings and a half-fit Mumbongo aside, were playing an average midfielder out of position as a number nine and bringing on a a kid as his replacement, who in my view is not good enough and will not make it with us in the long term.

On the latter point, the only real positive today was the performance of Mumbungo when he came off the bench. He gave us the pace and physical presence up front that we are seriously lacking and we immediately started to create chances when he came on the pitch. He should have equalised with the glancing header at the end but his overall performance was good.
I've waited until could listen to Micky's post-match interview before responding to this. It is rare for you to differ significantly from Micky in your assessments of a game. I generally respect your viewpoint, but it is disappointing that after Micky praised Jake Burton's contribution when coming on in this game that you cannot accept that fair assessment the manager made. Whether he has a long term future with us, only time will tell, although in the way that Chris Merrie has blossomed after being given regular match-time in his favoured midfield position after seemingly being out of favour gives some food for thought. I agree that Mumbongo played well, but MM made it clear that Joel will be limited to cameos for the immediate future.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I've waited until could listen to Micky's post-match interview before responding to this. It is rare for you to differ significantly from Micky in your assessments of a game. I generally respect your viewpoint, but it is disappointing that after Micky praised Jake Burton's contribution when coming on in this game that you cannot accept that fair assessment the manager made. Whether he has a long term future with us, only time will tell, although in the way that Chris Merrie has blossomed after being given regular match-time in his favoured midfield position after seemingly being out of favour gives some food for thought. I agree that Mumbongo played well, but MM made it clear that Joel will be limited to cameos for the immediate future.
This is a slightly strange post. It almost seems you are spoiling for a fight....

I very rarely criticise individual players, but I have said for some time that I don't think Burton is good enough. I doubt Mellon really does either, but he wants to give him a pat on the back for showing enthusiasm and the fortuitous goal yesterday. I am not having a go at Burton individually, but I am highlighting the failings in the recruitment policy that have left us with so few options up front. Just so I can't be accused of ageism, I said above that Byrne is not good enough either.

I don't think Burton's arrival made any difference to the quality of the performance. By contrast, when Mumbongo came on we had a focal point up front, the ball started to stick in the final third and we created some chances.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I find it puzzling that when even Micky, who I agree is not Jake Burton’s biggest admirer, praises his impact on the game, you opt to be dismissive of Jake’s contribution. Given what MM said about Mumbongo’s fitness, I guess Micky would not have risked him if the score had stayed 2-0 and Burton’s fluke goal not happened.