• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Grimsby v Rovers

Grimsby v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Blundell Park
Saturday, December 10, 2022 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, December 10, 2022 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Saturday sees a trip to Grimsby. Not exactly the best place to visit on a cold December afternoon, but given the hosts recent league form it’s a real chance for us to bring home three points. Grimsbys home record is one win from nine, albeit with 5 draws and 3 defeats. Despite a couple of decent FA Cup results, the mariners haven’t won in the league since mid October so after our encouraging performance at Northampton, surely it’s an opportunity for an overdue win for us.

Otis Khan has been a regular and is expected to start. Ex rovers youngster Luke waterfall is their captain and the heart of the Grimsby defence.

We sit two places ahead of Grimsby in the league with rovers 14th and the hosts 16th. Grimsby have a game in hand and although three points behind us, a decent win for them on Saturday could see them overtake us on goal difference. A win could see our play off hopes revitalised as we’re still not far away. However another game without a win will see our winless run go to 10 league games and a defeat would be a real blow.

However surely if we can get a point at Northampton, we can pick up three at Grimsby.

As for team news assuming no injuries I’m expecting the same keeper and back four. Likely the same midfield too and the only question being whether Nevitt or Lewis partner Hemmings. My guess is Elliot will return to the side but who knows. Given our lack of goals I’d be tempted to play Rhys hughes on the left of midfield and give hawkes a go up front alongside Hemmings. Josh has pace and can finish. However given the team performance at Northampton I can’t see anything radical like that.

Prediction: a draw most likely, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we won.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Think this will be another draw, going for 1 1.

Player
ian goodison
Saturday sees a trip to Grimsby. Not exactly the best place to visit on a cold December afternoon, but given the hosts recent league form it’s a real chance for us to bring home three points. Grimsbys home record is one win from nine, albeit with 5 draws and 3 defeats. Despite a couple of decent FA Cup results, the mariners haven’t won in the league since mid October so after our encouraging performance at Northampton, surely it’s an opportunity for an overdue win for us.

Otis Khan has been a regular and is expected to start. Ex rovers youngster Luke waterfall is their captain and the heart of the Grimsby defence.

We sit two places ahead of Grimsby in the league with rovers 14th and the hosts 16th. Grimsby have a game in hand and although three points behind us, a decent win for them on Saturday could see them overtake us on goal difference. A win could see our play off hopes revitalised as we’re still not far away. However another game without a win will see our winless run go to 10 league games and a defeat would be a real blow.

However surely if we can get a point at Northampton, we can pick up three at Grimsby.

As for team news assuming no injuries I’m expecting the same keeper and back four. Likely the same midfield too and the only question being whether Nevitt or Lewis partner Hemmings. My guess is Elliot will return to the side but who knows. Given our lack of goals I’d be tempted to play Rhys hughes on the left of midfield and give hawkes a go up front alongside Hemmings. Josh has pace and can finish. However given the team performance at Northampton I can’t see anything radical like that.

Prediction: a draw most likely, but I wouldn’t be surprised if we won.
to be honest sparky MM & radical don,t seem to go hand in hand

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That all depends on whether we can put the ball in the net. Recent performances have been quite good but we need the killer instinct to finish teams off.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I will be surprised if the game goes ahead looking at the forecast for the rest of the week. I was hoping the kick off time would be brought forward to enable the travelling fans to get home for the England game, but no such luck.

In addition to the general struggles Sparky mentions above, Grimsby's home form is particularly poor with only one victory at Blundell Park all season. However, Paul Hurst is a decent manager and they will no doubt be well organised and competitive. Their standout player is probably striker John MacAtee, who was sold to Luton in the summer and loaned back to The Mariners.

The performances away from home have been strong in recent weeks and this certainly looks a good opportunity to get back to winning ways.

drwhoman

Let us hope for a win! Last night Stockport beat Charlton 3-1 with Collar scoring all three! Oh for a forward capable of that!

drwhoman

Let us hope for a win! Last night Stockport beat Charlton 3-1 with Collar scoring all three! Oh for a forward capable of that!
19 goals in 20 games is about par for those clubs in positions 14 to 20 and yet only the top two teams have let in so few goals! Annoying!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Or even a midfield player, gather that’s where he normally plays.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes that’s right Boz. To be fair one was a penalty and one the keeper should have saved but a night he’ll remember.
Callum McDonald and CBT both off the bench last night in the game.

Going back to Saturday, as RLC says we’ll have to watch out for McAtee who was excellent last season in their promotion from the national league.

drwhoman

Yes. With the odd exception, will ll it be a narrow win or will we suffer a narrow loss! Let us hope for at least the former on Saturday! The January transfer window will be vital if this is not going to end up as a nothing season.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Micky said in his pre-match interview that a couple of players will be missing on Saturday, but did not give any names.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
if the game is on I would love a win so going 1-0 can't say for more goals as we just can't score roll on Jan and hope we can get a few through the door

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Thinking more on this, their home record is poor, I think we have a good chance to to win but as we can’t hit a barn door at the moment, I’m settling for a draw.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A few EFL games starting to be called off due to the weather albeit mainly matches in the north so far.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
From grimsbys twitter
Good news! The covers did their job again last night and the grounds team are feeling positive for later.

We’ll update supporters with more information when we have it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I’m not sure with a thin squad already depleted by injuries and suspensions and now the unspecified further absentees that it’s a game we really want to go ahead today.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sometimes when the chips are down, that's when we perform our best. Staying positive for this one!