• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Eastleigh v Rovers

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A tough game on paper against a side who in previous encounters have put their foot in, but who we have a decent record over. After their management merry go round last season which included Ronnie, Eastleigh returned to Richard hill whose sides start to the season includes a win over Sutton but a defeat to woking but an overall start identical to ours.

They do have some experience in their ranks including Constable, zebroski, Mark yeates and ex port vale striker Ben Williamson who is quick and has an eye for goal with 3 already.

Pre match Micky has been very positive and remains convinced our only issue is desire in the box which they have been working on. Suspect then he'll stick with 4-3-3 and bring in Nors for either Dunn or CJ. Dropping Jennings would be harsh given he's been way played out of position. Can't see any other changes. If CJ is dropped can imagine we'll have 2 unhappy players with Sutton a bit miffed at present.

Prediction: a draw wouldn't be a disaster given they do have quality but will extend our at best average start to the season. A defeat could make the future Q&A very prickly.

P.s Micky also confirmed that Wallace, Kirby and Tollit are all still way off being involved and the budget is totally spent, unless we can offload someone.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Meant to add it's nice to see the extended interviews with Micky on the YouTube channel rather than just a minute or two. Some fairly forward questions like will Norwood be back in the team?

I'd love someone to ask him are we looking to move Dawson on and what does he have to do to get a game?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think Norwood must return, but I agree with Sparky that there are no obvious candidates for the chop. If we go 433, then having the pace of Dunn on the right would be sensible and we would need Hughes, Norburn and Harris in midfield. Sadly, that leaves no room for a number 10 like CJ.

I predict a more open game with the lads fired up, resulting in a 2-1 win.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It will be Dunn who is dropped for Norwood I am sure.

I agree with most of the opening post. We have got a 100% record at Eastleigh and battered them in the corresponding fixture last season, a game where Norwood ended a long goal drought ironically. However, with Hill in charge the Spitfires will be a different proposition; well organised and physical with some decent individuals, very much like Sutton I would think. Added to which, their pitch is awful, very difficult to play football on.

I would start with the following team:

Davies
Buxton McNulty McEveley Ridehalgh
Norburn Harris Hughes
Jennings
Cook Norwood

In reality, I think MM will stick with a 433 and replace Dunn with Norwood.

I think we will probably draw the game, but a victory is needed to boost morale. The southern SWA are likely to turn up en force, so I would guess there will be a decent Rovers turnout of 4-500.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'd be surprised if Connor Jennings is dropped, as MM seemed fairly positive about him in the post-match interview. However he is wasted out wide. Expect Norwood to go straight back into the starting xi, but unsure who will make way.

Eastleigh have made some good signings and loans, but have fairly patchy form at present.

A win would be good but think another draw on our travels would be the most likely outcome.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It will be Dunn who is dropped for Norwood I am sure.
I hope so.
Not sure this game has come at the right time. It will be a tough old test and the players need to be ready physically and mentally. However Rovers do have a habit of surprising us and with Norwood back, we might be more effective in the final third.

I'd usually be happy with a draw here but we really could do with the win.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Got a funny feeling this is were we start to turn things around with a 2 1 win

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nors in for Dunn as expected but Sutton recalled in place of McEveley.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Nors in for Dunn as expected but Sutton recalled in place of McEveley.
Fair. He is playing his best side on current form. Everyone has to play for their place.

But I don't understand the bench - a goalkeeper and four forwards. What if a midfielder or defender gets injured or sent off?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Fair. He is playing his best side on current form. Everyone has to play for their place.

But I don't understand the bench - a goalkeeper and four forwards. What if a midfielder or defender gets injured or sent off?
Totally agree, it's a risky approach. Even if McEveley is injured, Gumbs Duggan Rokka and Clarke ought to be options and as it's an away game, we're more vulnerable to a sending off.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Sounds like Rovers started brightly but Eastleigh getting back into the game.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Sounds better, although still not quite got the cutting edge. Hopefully we'll nick it in the second half.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
We have edged it, playing the better football but Eastleigh have an attacking threat. We look much better with norwood in the team.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
no....

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Dunn on for Harris but a few mins later Williamson gives the home side the lead. Twitter feed suggests we are having half decent chances but again we're not putting them away

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Damn. Just after Norwood had missed a good chance at the other end. Harris off injured and Buxton apparently struggling with hamstring.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Great chances but toothless in attack. We've got to score eventually... surely...

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Buxton apparently struggling with hamstring.
Normally he'd be subbed to prevent further injury, but who can he bring on? Having all seven forwards in the team or on the bench is bold but is likely to misfire.

Interesting matches elsewhere so that Bromley currently top and Boreham Wood third.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
2-0. Game over.