• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Eastleigh v Rovers

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Normally he'd be subbed to prevent further injury, but who can he bring on? Having all seven forwards in the team or on the bench is bold but is likely to misfire.

Even with the line up selected, he could have put Hughes to left-back, Rides in the centre and Sutton at right-back. However I agree the initial subs selection plain weird.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Harris went off injured so the disjointed bench with only attacking players won't have helped. Could have put Duggan on there, or even Gumbs or Clarke and played ridehalgh in centre mid worst case scenario - better than having too many attacking players on at a tough place like eastleigh

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Only positive is daggers and shots both losing. Adam Mekkis Bromley currently top

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
As disjointed as the subs bench may be, thats not what's lost us the game. Our inability to put the ball in the net has yet again cost us three points.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Only positive is daggers and shots both losing. Adam Mekkis Bromley currently top
Yes, it was looking even better until Sutton's late winner at Chester.

I predicted we would need 100 points to guarantee automatic promotion, which is just five more than last season's total. Unfortunately, we are currently eight points down on the corresponding fixtures after just five games. I await the reports from those present but I'll bet it's basically down to not taking our chances yet again.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It was a game we should not have lost. We missed four or five good chances before their opener, which was against the run of play. If you can't score a goal you have got big problems. Substitutions did not affect the outcome.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounded like we had more chances than Eastleigh, but very few shots on target, as hitting the woodwork is deemed off target. .

The perception is that there was some complacency today, unless you're a forward, there's no competition for your place with Micky's bench being so unbalanced.

It sounded like the Eastleigh sub McAllister, who came on at half-time did make a significant impact.

Micky is doing an OSC fans forum in the week, could be quite a challenging time for him.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The commentator mentioned the team aren't gelling but apart from Norburn and to an extent Buxton, it's the same bloody team as last year! Are we just going through a rough patch or is something more serious going on?

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Whilst we moaned a few weeks back..........
Thank f*** the play off places have been increased!
At least there's no team doing a FGR and winning the first eight or so on the bounce.
There's a few dark horses in the pack at the moment.
I doubt it will be an easy ride for MM now at OSC..

frenchrover

Player
aldo
This nonsense just can't go on....something is drastically wrong behind the scenes and the Palioi better get a grip with whatever it is that's going on. In his pre-match interview MM talks about the need for more creativity but fails to provide any alternative creativity on the bench. Choosing 4 forwards, and a goalkeeper, as your 5 substitutes smacks of desperation on Mellons part and tactically is garbage. It will be interesting to see what the excuses are this game but it's beginning to look like the manager has lost the confidence of the players and I'm afraid that does not auger well for the manager, and more importantly for the club. 2 points off the relegation places is not where our club should be.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I cannot see how the strikers we had last season can't put the ball in the net this season, so I'm hoping it is just a rough patch White Squaddie. We are creating chances and seeing a lot of the ball but I do think the players have to take responsibility too. It is their job to put the ball in the net. Much be incredibly frustrating to watch from the bench (and from the stands!).

Some calling for Micky's head is quite ludicrous after a handful of games to be honest.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The predictable overreactions above..... The players are working hard and tactically we got it right today, with Jennings central and two strikers. The subs bench had feck all to do with it. We are in a rut of low confidence where we simply cannot score. In general play eastleigh were not better than us today - we looked the better side in possession and had more chances. All teams go through spells like this. Ultimately it is Mellon's responsibility to turn it round, but heaping more pressure on him and the players is not going to help.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
It's frustrating that we haven't carried over the form and swagger from last season (save for Wembley).
It's almost the same squad and even the alleged 'misfit/unfit/face doesn't fit' Cookie is playing.
I doubt MM and players are pulling in different directions.
If they are then, unlike the Brabin days, I suggest the players pull their fingers out and do the business.
MM knows what the SWA are all about and what we expect. I've every faith he'll turn this around.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Despite the result I'm feeling a bit more positive after some reflection. From listening to reports etc it does sound like all that's missing is putting the chances away - and that won't last forever.

Nice to hear that CJ played centrally and that no one is pulling back away yet. There are still concerns as I still think 3-5-2 suits the players we have best, excluding Tollit at the moment, apart from needing a right wing back altho Buxton can play there. Ridehalgh is arguable best as a wing back as it gets him forward more. CJ then behind a front 2.

I think we should judge it once a quarter of the season has gone. Micky more than anyone knows whilst we're playing ok, it's results that matter and we've only played approx 10 percent of the season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I can understand that it must have been a frustrating day for those fans like RLC, who've travelled some distance to watch a game, which with better finishing could have seen Rovers win relatively comfortably.

There's a round on the Radio 5 programme Fighting Talk called "defending the indefensible", where you're given a minute to defend a difficult position. I couldn't do it, but would be interested to see any attempts at "it's good for Tranmere to pick four attacking players and a keeper as their subs because..."

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ultimately it is Mellon's responsibility to turn it round, but heaping more pressure on him and the players is not going to help.
Whilst I agree, this just comes with the territory. There is so much pressure on the team and manager to perform, even a few bad games and the vultures are out. Part and parcel of playing for TRFC!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Boz makes a valid point as it could cost us at some point. I'm assuming it was a coincidence today that they scored after Jay went off injured.

For instance, I can imagine a game where Harris gets 2 yellows as is off and say Norburn or Hughes picked up an injury.

Not a major issue but still makes me scratch my head