• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Doncaster (2) v Rovers (1)

Match result

• Doncaster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Some decent one touch stuff by Morris and Walker when under pressure before second half.
Reagan too many touched at time, but doing OK.
Still in this.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Saunders and Hawekes about to come on. Rovers much better this half, hopefully we can get a goal soon.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Hawkes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1-1

Cuts inside, holds off a defender and slots it into the corner. Great goal.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
McAlear on for Walker.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Noooooooooooo. 2-1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow, that was shocking.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Saunders hits the post.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Well, that’s it for the season. Playoff chances over. The only positive is that the other results went perfectly as all the teams below us lost except Salford and Swindon who drew with each other and of course Doncaster.

It’s going to be a long three months till the season ends. Fortunately we can’t go down as there are so many poor sides below us.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A poor performance against a poor team, unfortunately the season now is over and we need to look to next season.
Out to drown my sorrows in the town centre

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Play-offs have gone, probably need 2 more wins or 6 points to be absolutely sure of staying up, though the bottom two look well adrift at present. Get them asap and Nigel can then start looking at the rest of the squad.

While I’m grateful for his rescue mission, It does feel quite stale at present NA picking the same team and unless enforced making the same substitutions week after week.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well, the new manager bounce has gone but we are far clear and much better than some of the teams in this league and wont be going down. That in itself is an achievement considering our position when he took over. Need to just take stock and try and make improvements for next season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A disappointing result in a game I thought we’d take something from. Interested in any reports as does Jennings need a rest now and should Hawkes be given a start?

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nigel talking about fine margins but Jennings has been out of form of late. Jolley isn’t good enough and we know Saunders isn’t a goal scorer. Need as many players on the pitch who can score like Hawkes and Dennis. Many teams will think if they stop apter then we won’t create much else

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the poor first half performance ultimately cost us the game. We had more than enough chances over the ninety minutes to at least take a draw, but when you are below par for forty five minutes away from home you rarely get a result.

We started brightly in the first ten minutes but Doncaster gradually got on top, with both of their wide players causing us big problems. The number 47 on the left was their best player and a real handful, and Wood in particular struggled to deal with Molyneux and Sterrie on the other side. I don't really agree that Donny were a poor side and I was actually quite impressed by them. We created chances towards the end of the half, but we were pedestrian and laboured in possession, with not much rhythm to our passing, and I thought the hosts deserved to be ahead at the break.

The second half was much better. We dominated for the majority of the half and created further chances, with Saunders hitting the post and Apter having a few good opportunities. However, we fell for the classic sucker punch for their second goal, which we defended dreadfully. A straight forward punt down the middle which we misjudged, leaving McGee one v one with their player. Doncaster then made some sensible defensive substitutions, and despite a lot of the ball we struggled to break them down.

I did not think it was a particularly poor performance, and we arguably created more chances than the hosts. However, the game highlighted some of our weaknesses, such as the over-reliance on Apter and the inadequacy of Jolley and Saunders up front. We need a player alongside Jennings / Norris that offers more, and I agree with Sparky that it might be time for Hawkes to return to the starting eleven.

I thought Apter and Hendry had good games and were the best of the outfield players.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A disappointing result in a game I thought we’d take something from. Interested in any reports as does Jennings need a rest now and should Hawkes be given a start?
I thought Jennings was fine. However, the question for me is what happens when Norris returns, as I don't think Jennings and Norris is a natural front pairing.

They both come short for the ball and don't really have the legs to threaten in behind.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Have now caught the highlights. Hawkes' goal is very good, thought we looked a tad unfortunate for the second goal, when the defending player (Davies?) slipped,. The defending for the Doncaster opener was poor free-header on a good ball into our box with plenty of Rovers players around yet none putting in a challenge. Rovers had a decent number of chances.

It's an interesting question RLC poses about the role for Jennings and who will partner Luke Norris when he returns. Unsure Dennis has the legs to threaten in behind either. However, that's a few weeks off yet and in that time my view is Adkins does need to shuffle the pack and try something different.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I thought Jennings was fine. However, the question for me is what happens when Norris returns, as I don't think Jennings and Norris is a natural front pairing.

They both come short for the ball and don't really have the legs to threaten in behind.
I would play Norris up top alone and push Jenno to the right of Walker in a five.