• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Doncaster (2) v Rovers (1)

Match result

• Doncaster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Next up a trip to South Yorkshire taking on a Donny side who are performing below expectations. They seem to be currently missing a few with injuries. Although there's snow around at present, milder weather forecast , so unless there are waterlogging levels of rainfall, the match likely to go ahead.

We lost the equivalent fixture last season 2-0 after dominating the early stages and having a decent number of chances, only for Brad Walker's lack of match fitness and an unfortunate deflection to contribute to our demise.

I haven't caught the Adkins pre-match yet and so don't know what fresh injuries have been picked up. Hoping that Apter's problem from last weekend was simply cramp and he's available. It didn't sound like anyone from the Liverpool Senior Cup game forced their way into contention, although Dennis may have established his fitness sufficiently to stake a claim for a place on the bench. While there were legitimate concerns about our lack of chances v Crewe, think this is more likely to be addressed by adapting the tactics that wholesale personnel changes. Perhaps Saunders starting instead of Jolley.

Unlike last weekend, where the draw was a clear favourite, think this is a much harder game to call. Rovers probably require a win to keep the flickering play-off hopes alive.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A good preview, Boz. I don’t expect wholesale changes. Nigel now has a fairly settled system although he is willing to tweak it as circumstances dictate. Maybe when his best strikers are fit we might see a different set up.

If both teams play to current form then I can’t see anything other than a Rovers win. Although we are not too far off the playoffs pointswise, it would take a sustained run of form to overtake the dozen teams above us, so this is the sort of match we must win to have any hope.

Reactions: Boz
Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I am on the way now as staying over for the weekend. We could do with a win, I'm going for away win 2 1.
Enjoy hope you see a win.

Can't see anything but a win if we can start putting the ball in the net.
So another draw.

I thought Donny were poor in both games last season, even though they beat us in one, but I’m surprised McCann hasn’t sorted them out by now. Last week’s 96th minute equaliser against Sutton was crucial and might just give them the boost to finally start turning the corner but, if we go about things properly, I think we’ll win. 3-1.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I think the only change to the starting eleven will be Saunders replacing Jolley up front. I will be disappointed if we don't win, given our recent away form and Donny's struggles.

The initial allocation of 700 tickets sold out with further sales available on the day, so it will be a good following for a not particularly local game.

With Morecambe to follow at Prenton Park on Tuesday night, there is an opportunity to make progress ahead of the big match against Stockport next week.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We should be going for the win with this one. Donny are defensively very poor and if we can score first and early the home crowd will turn.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
You'd fancy a win but a draw would be good as if they don't catch us going down gets less likely.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Draw.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Surprised with the persistence with Jolley and absence of Dennis entirely.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
1-0.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Losing already. Not listening to the commentary as travelling but a poor start.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Wow what an uninspiring bench with no Dennis and naturally no Taylor!
Shocking goal to concede that. Header from middle of box.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers should have scored then. Apter with the cross low into the box, evades all Rovers players, Hendry on the follow up, side foots just wide.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well that was just a bit poor. Much more needed second half.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Seems like picked up some silly bookings too?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Besides Apter there has been virtually no creativity against a poor team, hoping for better second half.