• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Crewe v Rovers

Match result

• Crewe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Crewe v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Mornflake Stadium
Sunday, January 1, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Sunday, January 1, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates
Player
ian goodison
I left right at the final whistle so disappointing if the players got some stick. There was plenty of effort and it’s not Davies fault we can’t score. I also heard some moans at Morris early on which I couldn’t believe.

Hopefully the players realise that unfortunately the small clueless minority sometimes make the loudest noise
I think we sold 1600 tickets today and I think some get frustrated what with the price of tickets/transport etc, but after the 1st half when we should have been out of sight to end up with the shambles of a 2nd half maybe its not surprising some booed, to be honest the booing should have been directed at mellon for the Nolan sub

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Why Micky didn't try either Hughes or Burton is totally baffling, second half was poor yet only 2 subs used is poor management
The options on the bench are really poor. That has been one of our biggest problems this season.

Nolan and Hughes are steady-Eddies rather than game changers and Burton is not good enough (in my view).

Player
Manager
John King
I was saying to my lad that this is sometimes the problem with large away followings especially when the fans are close to the pitch (I was on the second row). You get a few muppets who’ve had a few beers and they start shouting nonsense
Agree completely. I always worry about this when we have big away followings. I much preferred the atmosphere at Barrow the other night, with 300 there.

Player
ian goodison
if davies was unhappy about the booing its a good job he didn't play for Donny after we beat them 3-0 their fans slaughtered them, anyway talk about a game of 2 halves we went from playing them off the park to a team with no ideas in the 2nd half some players below par didn't help should doohan saved the shot? nevitt/mumbongo really not up to standard, I could understand Nolan coming on at 1 up but putting him an already congested mid-field was criminal,

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
The options on the bench are really poor. That has been one of our biggest problems this season.

Nolan and Hughes are steady-Eddies rather than game changers and Burton is not good enough (in my view).
But until he gets a chance we will never really know if he's good enough or not, try something different not the same thing that in the last half hour clearly was not working.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
at the end of the day, we had a poor showing in front of the goal, as for the Morris moaners my wife told a few to shut it some people are just brain dead but it was a most frustrating of days and with being Limited to when I can get to games it gets me down at times as for Mellon well I am not going there

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
We did what we always do today, before game, a winnable fixture, fluff our lines, embarrassed by an inferior team!
Typical rovers!
We hardly ever win when favourites!

Bounce back next Saturday! (Hopefully!)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

It's clear Mellon is a frustrated as us with regard to quality up front. Let's hope they can pull a rabbit out the hat and make it soon!

Player
Manager
John King
It was not a great ninety minute performance by any means, but I still think we should have taken something from the game.

In terms of the details of the match, there is not much to add to what has been said above.

In the first half I thought we continued where we left off at Barrow and played very well. We had a good tempo, penned Crewe in and there were good opportunities for Morris and Nevitt in particular. However, I think we had to score in that period as we were never likely to maintain that intensity for the whole game, and we were then caught with a classic sucker punch. It was a really poor header from Merrie across his own eighteen yard box and, despite the brilliant finish from their lad, the ball has dipped in over Doohan who probably should have done better.

The goal gave Crewe something to cling on to, and given their recent struggles it was no surprise that they sat deep, timewasted and largely succeeded in frustrating us. The second half was a bitty, poor performance, and as you would expect Crewe began to find spaces on the break through Agyei and missed a couple of good chances. However, we had two or three very good opportunities ourselves: Davies' header cleared off the line, a sitter missed by Mumbongo and a two v two involving the strikers which we should have made more of.

I thought Morris and Hemmings were excellent in the first half and I hope the result does not knock the latter's confidence too much. We were probably unfortunate today that none of the really good chances fell to Kane.

The defeat in itself is not a disaster and if you had offered me six points from the three Christmas games beforehand, I would have accepted them. We just have to ensure this result is not the beginning of another mini-slump and win the game against Sutton next Saturday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
After Macclesfield a few years ago, I have given up on New Year's Day away games, which may come as a relief to those heading to Crewe given my dismal record following Rovers away in the last 12 years or so,
We’ll, Boz, at least you now know it’s not your presence that’s responsible for our poor record on New Year’s Day. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
But until he gets a chance we will never really know if he's good enough or not, try something different not the same thing that in the last half hour clearly was not working.
Mellon sees him every day in training and obviously does not think he is the answer. I have seen the full appearances he was given against Crewe and Nantwich earlier in the season (and Northampton last season) and agree with Mellon.

We need better options from the bench.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
With Jake sitting on the bench and Micky commenting there were no options left on the bench says all we need to know about Jake's future at the club. He needs to leave and get regular football elsewhere. Whatever opinion you have of Jake, he won't get football here.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
With Jake sitting on the bench and Micky commenting there were no options left on the bench says all we need to know about Jake's future at the club. He needs to leave and get regular football elsewhere. Whatever opinion you have of Jake, he won't get football here.
And Hughes may as well go out on loan too as he isn't going to get a chance either.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mellon sees him every day in training and obviously does not think he is the answer. I have seen the full appearances he was given against Crewe and Nantwich earlier in the season (and Northampton last season) and agree with Mellon.

We need better options from the bench.
Can't be worse than an unfit Mumbongo. We fo need better options off the bench but with no money we are going to struggle to get them in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
There must be money available..

We have a young team this season, not because of lack of budget (we believe our budget to be in the top half of our division) but because we are aiming to become a club which develops and sells talented players as part of a long-term sustainability model.

I don't believe this system works. You can't have a competitive squad that is full of young players. Maybe we just went a bit top heavy with the young players :unsure:

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
There must be money available..

I don't believe this system works. You can't have a competitive squad that is full of young players. Maybe we just went a bit top heavy with the young players :unsure:
Have a look at the age of the team today it's not that young, lacking a bit in experience but it's not young

Player
Manager
John King
Have a look at the age of the team today it's not that young, lacking a bit in experience but it's not young
The average age of the squad is young. I think it is 24.

A lot of youngsters have played a lot of games. In any case, a 'top half' budget would only be expected to give you a comfortable mid-table finish, not promotion.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree that we can only assume burton hasn’t impressed micky in training. He sees him every day and all we can do is trust the managers judgement. Micky has also made the point previously that it’s not just a young squad, but players like Nevitt, hawkes, O’Connor, merrie, doohan are around 24 ish or less but not played much football. Cogley similar and he’s 27 in march, still hasn’t played that many games.

but that’s the route the club went down of course. And Palios has admitted he knew it would bring inconsistency. It is just frustrating when like Grimsby away, we lose against not the best of opponents, but can win at barrow. That’s football I guess.

RLC makes a valid point. If we’d lost at barrow but won today then all would be ok And on the same number of points. However we must win next Saturday to keep spirits up. It’ll be interesting if any comings and going’s this week. Hopefully JDCs last game for us isn’t today.

It's more Palios spin, it was previously a top third budget now top half.
No, they’re two different things - self financing with a top third budget is his overall aim for the club, top half is what he’s saying the budget currently is.
I doubt we’ve actually had a top third budget in any season since we were non league.