• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Crewe v Rovers

Match result

• Crewe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Crewe v Rovers
Posted by Ian
Mornflake Stadium
Sunday, January 1, 2023 - 03:00 PM
Until: Sunday, January 1, 2023 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Games are coming thick and fast over the Xmas period and next up taking us into 2023 is a short trip to Gresty Road to take on Crewe. Recent fortunes could not be more contrast. Rovers are bouncing with two excellent wins against Doncaster and Barrow and are looking to take all three points against struggling Crewe who have lost three games in succession. Whilst only three places seperate the two teams, Rovers are eight points ahead of Crewe who have not enjoyed recent success. They were convincingly beaten 3-0 at home against Carlisle, lost 2-0 to Stockport and suffered another home defeat against Newport on 2nd Dec.

Crewe will be looking to bounce back quickly after recent defeats and Rovers will be looking to push on and close the gap on those play off places. I don't think there are any fresh injury concerns after the Barrow game but Paul Lewis will be suspended for three games after his sending off.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Maybe not new but McAlear disappeared last night so injured? Shame as he could have done a Lewis role more in the shape of a Foley? Possibly his 20 yard shots would be better than his 40 yard ones lol

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think it will be a tough game but fancy us to win 2 1.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
1,480 tickets sold in advance, with 200 available on the day.

Let's hope it is not a repeat of Macclesfield and Fylde in recent years, when we had big followings on New Year's Day.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I spoke to a Carlisle fan who went to their game last night and Crewe were abysmal. However no doubt their manager will have given them a rollicking.
As ever the first goal is crucial. Given the form of both sides if we get it then their heads will surely drop, home fans will get frustrated and we’ll be on a high.

However we’re Tranmere of course and don’t do it the easy way. I’m looking forward to it as the atmosphere should be good and it’ll feel like a home game. We’ve beaten Crewe twice already this season so surely we can do it again

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interestingly Crewe’s sending off last night was their captain so hopefully it’s a positive he’ll be missing

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Looking forward to this as I don't get to as many away games now. My record at Crewe is a bit sketchy so let's hope I can finally see a win there.

Player
Manager
John King
Crewe had a couple of poor results against good teams over the Christmas period, but this won't be a walk in the park. It is worth bearing in mind that just prior to the rash of postponements, they beat both Orient and Swindon. They have some decent players, such as Agyei and Baker-Richardson.

In terms of our own selection, we might have a slight problem at centre forward. Mumbongo only played fifty five minutes last night and three games in seven days might be too much for him at this stage. However, our options are limited with Lewis's suspension and Burton the only alternative. Whatever Jake's strengths, I don't think he is suited to playing alongside Hemmings for an extended period.

It should be a good atmosphere with a virtually sold out away end and a draw would not be a disaster. If we do get three points we could potentially move into the top ten, which would be a big psychological boost ahead of some winnable home games next month.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree that even if mumbongo isn’t fit I’d be surprised if Burton starts given mickys reluctance previously. Although with Nevitt and Lewis missing there is an argument to give Jake a start. I don’t think Micky will tinker with the midfield 4 and although mcalear could play further forward he was absent from the squad last night.

I suspect mumbongo will start and we’ll see how we go from there. Ideally we’re comfortably ahead and can take him off after an hour and give Burton a run out

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
After Macclesfield a few years ago, I have given up on New Year's Day away games, which may come as a relief to those heading to Crewe given my dismal record following Rovers away in the last 12 years or so,

While Crewe's poor form makes. us favourites for this match, the squad is a little stretched in the absence of Lewis and presuming Nevitt is still not fit enough to be in contention, then an unchanged team is most likely. Whether Burton features depends on how the game goes, but Crewe aren't a physical side who'll muscle him out of the game, so don't think we should be afraid of using him.

Has there been any information on McAlear's absence from the bench at Barrow? Potentially a good option to have on the bench if available.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I agree Boz and Sparky, due to lack of forward players for various reasons, I think MM will stick with Mumbongo initially and just see how he gets on. He did look a little jaded against Barrow so there are concerns.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree Boz and Sparky, due to lack of forward players for various reasons, I think MM will stick with Mumbongo initially and just see how he gets on. He did look a little jaded against Barrow so there are concerns.
Yes although boz makes a good point about Crewe not usually being a physical side so may be worth giving Burton some action, depending on how fit mumbongo is

Berty

Player
Jennings
Manager
Johnny
Dear all

Sorry of im being daft but i paid for crewe tickets via site. Money taken but no email tickets or confirmation of order. Ive gone on site today and screen shot ticket history which shows block row seat for tomorrow

Should i just turn up and maybe collect from ground??

Player
Manager
John King
Dear all

Sorry of im being daft but i paid for crewe tickets via site. Money taken but no email tickets or confirmation of order. Ive gone on site today and screen shot ticket history which shows block row seat for tomorrow

Should i just turn up and maybe collect from ground??
You can collect from the away ticket office ninety minutes before kick off.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nevitt for Mumbongo the only change. Let's hope that Hemmings sticks to what's worked for him the last couple of games and stay around the box, although Nevitt doesn't have the same capacity to draw players towards him. McAlear not on the bench again.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Mumbongo must be knackered!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Had our chances not put them away, made to pay the price

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Poor mistake from merrie led to their goal and I’d need another look to see if Doohan should have done better.
Nevitt missed a sitter first half and we dominated the opening parts but no cutting edge up top

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It’s got that one of those days kind of feeling. Rovers had a lot of possession and numerous chances, but only Kieron Morris tested their keeper. He’s been our best player so far. Then a poor header into the danger zone and a clinical finish and Crewe’s tails go up. Hawkes has been below par, Nevitt quiet and Gareth Roberts on commentary highlighting Turnbull making some unnecessary challenges. Suppose we’ll stick for the early part of this half and see if can go back to the opening 30 minutes play.