• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Boreham Wood v Rovers 21st Feb 2017

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I do have a bit of sympathy for them but then again, hopefully it'll be a straightforward win.

Although recent results at home suggest even against a depleted part time side, nothing is a given for us!

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I must admit I hadn't realised this could be a problem at this level, but I would have more sympathy if they had not whinged on about it and tried to get our promotion rivals on their side. It's not as if they are fighting against relegation. However, we have a lot to play for and are facing a potential fixture backlog. Further progress in the Trophy and the odd game called off because of the weather could result a ridiculous fixture schedule in April.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
They managed to put out a side for an FA Trophy replay at shorter notice, though that was a home game. Have an element of sympathy with them, although the way they've conducted themselves over this and not releasing match highlights reduces that somewhat. Progress in the FA Trophy might result in us having to consider playing two midweek games if there are any further postponements, so it makes sense to play on 21st. Even though I won't be able to make it.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As the problem is caused by clashes between league and trophy fixtures, which result in trophy teams having to rearrange league games (sometimes at short notice) while their opponents often kick their heels on a Saturday, surely one solution is to schedule the later rounds of the trophy in midweek. That would make the midweek games more predictable and avoid blank Saturdays.

Incidentally, I wouldn't do this for the FA cup. There's no problem for the full-time clubs and the competition has its traditions, but I see no problem in making the change for the FA Trophy.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
You would think there would be a bit of flexibility as it hardly seems fair if they can't put out a full strength team.

Another harsh reminder of how far we've fallen when the other teams players can't get time off work :eek:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Given the complaints made, it will be interesting to see the strength of the side BorehamWood put out for this fixture. They have some decent players in their squad including ex-Rover Danny Woodards.

Injuries permitting, I'd expect the same starting xi as Eastleigh.

Prediction: Probably our lowest crowd of the season, around the 4k mark, with only a handful from Herts. The visitors away form has been poor recently, so expect they'll set up defensively, maybe a similar game to the home fixtures against North Ferriby and York and hopefully a similar outcome.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I agree with Boz's assessment above. I think it will be the same team as Saturday, a 442 with width to try and stretch a side who will almost certainly come here to sit deep and frustrate. It will be interesting to see if we can replicate the quality of the football of the last two games against more negative opposition. It is absolutely vital we win the game, particularly with Lincoln having what looks a gimme at North Ferriby.

Attendance scraping just over 4,000, with the visiting support possibly 'beating' the twelve who came from NFU.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I think this will be a frustrating game as we can't seem to break down opposition who set out to defend from the off.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As with Eastleigh, strangely my head says we'll win but my heart fears we'll slip up. After all, they were our most successful opponents last season, taking 4 points off us, and were the only side to stop us scoring. No team news on the BW website, but after all the fuss I expect they will have virtually a full side. I'd certainly take a 1-0 or any victory. If we are to have any hope of catching Lincoln, we can't afford to continue to drop points at home to sides below us.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Borehamwood as far as I am aware are on a similar run to Eastleigh - 1 win in 12 or thereabouts. I share Ian's concerns though that it could be one of those games where we are frustrated.

However with the chances created in the first half at home to Bromley and at Eastleigh, getting the ball wide with the 4-4-2 gives us a real chance. Would be nice if Nors got another goal.

I'd love to be able to enjoy the whole match and not be a nervous wreck in the second half. But at this stage of the season if you offered me a scrappy 1-0 win I'd take it.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Unchanged starting xi. Stockton replaces Sutton as a sub meaning no defender on the bench again. Hope history doesn't repeat itself after Bromley

Player
Manager
John King
Not the prettiest of performances but we ground it out and deserved the win in the end. Wood will feel hard done by with the number of chances they had, Davies making a couple of great saves (the best from McNulty !) but we had further opportunities ourselves. Ultimately the quality of the finishing was the difference, with Cookie winning us the game.

We set up with a 442 on the assumption that Wood would be sitting deep, trying to contain us. However, by scoring so early we actually drew them out, which made for a very open and quite an entertaining game. While the 442 gives us more attacking opportunities, it makes us quite vulnerable defensively when teams come at us, like B-Wood did tonight.

Individually, I thought Norwood looked much better, but incredibly missed another one-on-one in the closing stages. Dunn impressed me again with his workrate and Big Mac was pretty solid, apart from his moment of near-glory at the wrong end of the pitch. However, man of the match has to be Cook for his goals, followed closely by Ihiekwe who I thought was excellent throughout.

As ever with Rovers, there had to be a major negative. The loss of the two wingers did not hurt us too much as we already had a two goal cushion, but it would be a disaster for us to lose either of them for an extended spell, particularly Tollitt. You have to give credit to the remaining players for coping reasonably well with a makeshift set up in their absence.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It sounds like a better game than I'd anticipated, but the potential loss of both wide men is a concern. All the other sides near the top won too.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We never do things easily do we? After a great start with 2 great finishes from Cook, I felt the first half petered out with us creating very little and not at our best.

Second half the injuries disrupted us again as they did against Bromley and we ended up with kirby on one wing and mangan on the other. Still no place for the likes of Dawson on the bench which is beyond me. Once again I felt kirby, who played two thirds of the game, offered very little. Too weak and rarely beat his man. Mangan did ok but was out of position.

Once again our finishing was poor. Nors and Stockton both saw one on ones saved by their keeper plus Nors hit the post when he should have hit the target. Connor J would have put at least one of those chances away.

Thought centre mid did ok but a few times their no.20 got in the gap between our defence and midfield and against better opponents, we wouldn't have won tonight. As RLC says the early goals for us meant BW had a right go.

Still issues with this side. MMs sub selection again raised eyebrows. Again they crowd got nervous at 2-1 and we missed more clear chances.

But I'd said I'd take a scrappy win and with daggers and the imps winning, along with a resurgent Gateshead and Macclesfield, 3 points was all that mattered. But we'll have to improve when FGR come to PP next Tuesday, never mind a decent Barrow side on Saturday.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Tollits injury looked a bad one and him and Cook are so important at the moment, if we lost one of them I'd be worried

Player
Manager
John King
I could not understand why Tollitt was allowed to stay on the pitch for five minutes. I would have got him off straight away.

Regarding the game as a whole, once we went two up I did not think the result was in doubt, at least not until stoppage time. I do think some of our supporters need to stop over-analysing performances. At 2-0 we were bound to drop the tempo a bit; likewise, the second half injuries were very unfortunate and messed up the system. You can't cover every eventuality through players on the bench.

I daresay the Lincoln and Dagenham games were equally patchy, but getting the three points is what matters.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
I'm not half as upbeat as RLC after that.
Ok, a win is a win but after getting the second so early it should have been a romp.
It could easily have been 2-1 to them when our second went in.
Until late on when their keeper made a great save from Stockton and snuffed out the one on one with Nors, he'd only been kept busy by his own team's passes - unlike Scottie whose made a string of great stops, not least from Macca's 'cushioned' header which looked destined for the bottom corner.
An argument could be made that the loss of both wingers affected us but we really still had enough quality on the pitch to maintain control and we didn't. I don't think we'll see either Tollitt or Dunn too soon but let's keep our fingers crossed.
Kirby had more than enough time on the pitch to get back on my Xmas card list. He failed miserably. He's clearly our Marmite and while I'd never loathe any player that pulls on a white shirt he pushes me to the wire. I just hope Dawson gets a shout now cos I wouldn't have Kirby anywhere near the team bus let alone the pitch.
The workrate of Nors is second to none and just before the one on one, a snapshot after some great work and pull back Stockton cannoned off the post. Not surprisingly he looked thoroughly dejected when the keeper foiled him and credit must go to the keeper for the two saves from Stockton and Nors.
Left the ground feeling like we'd lost. Back home now and yes, it was a win. But oh so frustrating.

drwhoman

As a very interested spectator from afar I cannot help but agree with Cowshed Kid. At 2-0 against middle of the table part time opponents we should be putting them away rather than sneaking it at the end. We are far too reliant on Cook for our goals and this might cruel our chances of promotion this season. All the great Rovers teams of the past have had at least two players scoring a decent number of goals. MM and his coaching team have a lot of work to do. An ability to take a large percentage of the chances created will be vital if we make the play offs. We have a decent quality full time squad but this could count for nothing. I see Dagenham made hard work of it against Bromley but sneaked a win at the end annoyingly.