• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Boreham Wood v Rovers 21st Feb 2017

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
As a very interested spectator from afar I cannot help but agree with Cowshed Kid. At 2-0 against middle of the table part time opponents we should be putting them away rather than sneaking it at the end.

Why ? Boreham Wood are not part time in reality and receive a lot of money from Arsenal. Their players are decent quality for this level.

A 2-1 victory against a mid-table opponent is a good result. Lincoln have just scraped past North Ferriby 1-0 in a poor game; in their previous match they did the same against a poor Woking side. I doubt their supporters are complaining too much.

I agree about the goalscoring to an extent, but in addition to Cook with 17, we have Norwood on 10 and Tollitt on 6. And we have the best defence in the League. And we are third. Unless romping to the title is the only measure of success, we are doing ok.

drwhoman

RLC - you are far closer to the team than me, and I really do value your comments, so I accept what you say but I think you would agree that we are not scoring as many goals as we should and this may be crucial in the play offs.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
We haven't hammered anyone at home in the league this season. There does seem an inability to put the game to bed when we get in front at PP and it would be good for the home fans to see us on top in the way we seem to manage on our travels.

If Tollit and Dunn are both out long-term, then either Mekki/Dawson start or we revert to a diamond. I had expected a line-up similar to away at Chelmsford, for the Barrow Trophy game, but it may become closer to a dry run for Forest Green's visit next week.

Player
Manager
John King
If the wingers are out (God forbid), I would imagine jennings will be recalled. Even in the absence of dunn and tollitt I don't think Dawson would start, while Kirby and mekki would not give us enough, whatever formation we used.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While Kirby isn't particularly effective out wide, he could do a decent job at the tip of the diamond. If he's over the hamstring injury, Almond can also play there or out wide. Recalling Connor J is another option, though he doesn't function best in a wide position, so another for the diamond. Finally, there's £30k raised for such a contingency, so get someone in on loan.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Extremely unlucky if we were to lose our two wingers. Any news on their injuries?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I was a little frustrated last night but on reflection, Boredom Wood weren't a bad team. They made a bad start and Cook took advantage clinically but they soon came into the game and Davies made four excellent saves in the first half, albeit one of them from his own defender, but they certainly had their chances. Norwood frustrating again with missed opportunities, but at this stage of the season, lets just concentrate on the end game. Three points and we move on. Still not getting any closer to Lincoln but if they slip up, even once, that will make for an interesting finale.

drwhoman

Fair comment Ian. I see Martin Allen has been given the heave ho after 14 games at Eastleigh. A real revolving door there.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Some baffling remarks from Micky about Rovers not being a team who are full of wingers. Goes on to mention Kirby and Mangan as the options, while ignoring Mekki and Dawson. The kind of thing Brabin might say...

Player
Manager
John King
Not that baffling really. It has been obvious for months he does not rate Dawson or Mekki and they probably don't have the stamina to play the kind of game Mellon likes.

If the wingers are out, I think we will change formation.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Not that baffling really. It has been obvious for months he does not rate Dawson or Mekki and they probably don't have the stamina to play the kind of game Mellon likes.

If the wingers are out, I think we will change formation.
Micky brought Dawson back to Rovers. I had my doubts about the wisdom of that move at the time, but he's been given no opportunity at all. Regardless of the merits of both Adam's, they are wingers. It's a stretch to consider Kirby as one and Mangan definitely isn't.

Mention of Tollit maybe only having a dead leg, hopefully true. Would agree that if they're out, we'll probably revert to a diamond.

Player
Manager
John King
Mellon obviously thinks he made a mistake with Dawson. Personally, I would like to have seen him given more of a chance, if only to confirm he was not up to it. I am not claiming that Mellon's statement was accurate, just that it was clear we were not going to replace the injured pair with those two on Saturday.

I have not seen the full interview yet, but I think Mellon was just sating that his only options from the bench were Mangan and Kirby, not that they would be used as makeshift widemen in future.

drwhoman

I read that Dunn took a blow in the face. Might he not be fit or did he suffer another injury?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I'm sure he limped off, although that may have been Tollitt, I'm easily confused!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Ronnie must be scratching his head about his sacking at Eastleigh. Back to the BW game and the subject of wingers:

MM has a dilemma. Playing 4-4-2 in the first half against Bromley and at Eastleigh created numerous chances. We were exposed though against BW and teams may try and out number us in the middle. Maynard gets about but Hughes isn't as athletic as he probably used to be. One reason was probably BW were 2-0 down so early so they came at us and on another day, had there been another 5 mins to play, we may have seen another 2-2 draw.

The Dawson situation is bizarre. You do wonder what goes on behind the scenes and whether it is linked to his nomad type career so far. Mekki & Almond is slightly different as IMO I don't think they are good enough for a promotion winning team.

Connor J has had some good match practice at Macc but isn't a wide man. In a nutshell if we are sticking with 4-4-2 I guess MM could go with Dawson & Kirby (worst case scenario).

All of this is immaterial of course if the injuries to Dunn & Tollit aren't serious. It would be nice to hear something from the club although assume they keep quiet as they may be waiting for scan results and or don't want to give Barrow/FGR any hope for the coming days. Hopefully there will be some pre Barrow match MM comments on the o/s today giving more detail.

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
The fact that Micky made some remarks about wingers infers that there's some doubt about their (Tollit and Dunn's) forthcoming availability. Unless it's mind games by MM, which is unlikely.

Sparky makes a valid point regarding the risks of having two in the middle, though they were greater when Wallace and Hughes were the central midfield pair.

I actually think that while Dawson has the greater potential, Mekki is more likely to get a start as he tracks back and has more of a track record with assists and goals. Haven't seen enough of Almond to judge his capability out wide.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Just seen that Tollit out for the rest of the season and Dunn for the immediate future. Time for plan B

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Almond been loaned back to Southport for a month too.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
And....Conor Jennings has 2 more weeks at Macclesfield, so no early recall clause apparently!!!