• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Barrow v Rovers

Match result

• Barrow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Barrow v Rovers
Posted by Ian
SO Legal Stadium
Thursday, December 29, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Thursday, December 29, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeah, I was a little worried at HT as the game seemed to be slipping but we came out second half and gave it a right good go and got the rewards. Great now we have two wins on the bounce which puts is in great mood going into the Crewe game. Hopefully Hemmings will be growing in confidence now he has a couple of goals.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
What a peach of a cross from Cogley for Hemmings to put away. A well fought for 3 points...so on to Crewe who lost at home earlier tonight 0-3...let's go for another 3 points

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A much improved second half, where we had the chances, but through a mix of poor finishing and good keeping, Rovers had failed to go in front. I though we'd blown it when Lewis got sent off ~Mike Dean watching in Spain thought a definite red, but a great cross by JDC and calm Hemmings header saw the points heading back to Wirral, although Barrow missed a great chance to level late in normal time, firing over after Doohan dropped the ball.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Lewis sending off was the 7th of his career. Once the ball was in the air bouncing towards their goal it was naive of him to go in with your studs facing their keeper. He should have just pulled out. A shame after his goal on Boxing Day

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lewis sending off was the 7th of his career. Once the ball was in the air bouncing towards their goal it was naive of him to go in with your studs facing their keeper. He should have just pulled out. A shame after his goal on Boxing Day
Will have to see it again but think the ball was outside the box, if .so the keeper can't use his hands and Lewis just getting his body in the way can make things difficult. Rash sendings off seem to be a bit of a feature and it's bad timing with Nevitt being out of the picture and Mumbongo on tonight's showing still some way from match-fitness .

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
Well played rovers and What a cross for Hemmings's goal so Happy for him and hope he goes on a mad run of scoring now, isn't it mad how we have these runs under Micky we either go on long winning runs or long no win runs

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A good night all round, unless you are Paul Lewis. Earlier in the season we’d have capitulated after the equaliser and the sending off. Ironically, Hemmings scores again after both Mumbongo and Lewis have left the pitch. A new wave of confidence is sweeping through the team. Let’s hope it continues longer than the last one.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I felt it a bit for Lewis. I understand the rules deem it a red card but there was no malice in it, he was simply trying to get the ball, he didn't even know where the keeper was as he was looking up into the air.

I was also delighted for Hemmings, not only because he scored but because the nature of the goal. Nothing complicated, just a good cross and attacked with the head. He would get so many more if he stayed in these positions, he's very good on crosses, but we don't see it often enough.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I felt it a bit for Lewis. I understand the rules deem it a red card but there was no malice in it, he was simply trying to get the ball, he didn't even know where the keeper was as he was looking up into the air.

I was also delighted for Hemmings, not only because he scored but because the nature of the goal. Nothing complicated, just a good cross and attacked with the head. He would get so many more if he stayed in these positions, he's very good on crosses, but we don't see it often enough.
I have not seen a replay, but at the time I thought it was a harsh red card. The keeper was outside the box and contact was to be expected. I feel for Lewis as he made a big contribution when he came on and is in decent form.

Player
Manager
John King
I thought we fully deserved the win after that second half performance. I have to give players and manager a lot of credit for the character that was shown in the second period, as we could easily have gone into our shells after a disappointing first half display and the timing of Barrow's goal.

As commented above, I thought we were quite poor for thirty five minutes after a bright start and the opening goal. It was a classic case of not knowing whether to stick or twist having taking the lead so early. We gradually sank deeper and invited pressure, with possession turned over far too quickly, albeit we defended the eighteen yard box very well for the most part.

I was right behind the shot for Barrow's equaliser and I don't think Doohan was at fault. It came through bodies and he will have seen it very late. I think it is one of those occasions where you have to credit the opposition for a clever set play and a quality strike. I thought Ross had a good game in general, with very sound handling.

In the second half we got on the front foot from the first minute, with both full backs pushed on, and some of our approach play was excellent. Morris probably should have buried his chance, but I would prefer to focus on the quality of the move, which was brilliant. Hemmings' goal was deserved and came at the perfect time for us.

Individually, I thought the two centre halves and O'Connor were superb in the first half when we were up against it, and both full backs were great after half time. Morris is back to his best and Hemmings now seems comfortable and is in the groove, which is hugely significant.

Man of the match, Joss Cogley. Way too good for this level.

drwhoman

On the Barrow goal, I would agree that Doohan was not at fault but, as has been said, Rovers we’re not alive to the corner routine. The best thing about the winning goal was that Hemmings was in the right place and brave enough to get ahead of the defender to meet a peach of a cross that was just asking to be headed in!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Think it’s valuable to get different perspectives on the game, with most of us viewing on the screen but RLCs vantage point at the ground giving fresh insight into Doohan’s challenge trying to keep the Stevens shot out. The dropped ball late on aside, I thought Ross did well yesterday and there was good variety in his distribution.

A few other thoughts; Turnbull seemed a little rusty, good take for the goal and a couple of last ditch challenges/blocks, but a couple of aimless punts upfield when he had time to pick a pass. Davies defensively seemed the stronger of the central defensive pair last night. Hawkes had a good second half with ball into the box link-up with Bristow and a good shot to test the keeper. Morris is improving but didn’t seem close to his prime. Hemmings had a quiet game, yet was in the right place to grab the winner. Better that than being more involved but largely outside the box, I think. Lewis did improve us when he came on, Mumbongo was valuable for his physical presence drawing players, but didn’t have any goal threat in this game. While a decade ago, Lewis probably stays on the pitch for a challenge like that, not now. It was frustrating as he had options without taking that risk, which thankfully didn’t cost us.

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
I liked Kanes interview he admitted that it's not his job being out wide and the coaches have told the forwards to stay in the box now if I was MM I would fine them every time they came out of the 18-yard box that would keep them in it but glad it is finally sinking in only taking half a season £100 fine would do

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
A few other thoughts; Turnbull seemed a little rusty, good take for the goal and a couple of last ditch challenges/blocks, but a couple of aimless punts upfield when he had time to pick a pass
I'm sure we played the long ball game way too often in the first half when Mumbongo was on the field. It may encourage those long aimless punts up field when you have a target man up there.

Player
Manager
John King
We did not play well as a team in the first half, but Mumbongo's physical presence is vital to Hemmings. His hold up play allows Hemmings to get in the box rather than grapple with defenders on the half way line.

It is no coincidence Hemmings has started scoring now that he has a strike partner that can take the physical workload away from him.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
The reality of life in the basement is becoming obvious even to the most obtuse. Mumbongo as a target man and he was, the aimless hoofing all ended up at him so not so aimless anymore, gives Hemmings the role he craves- the poacher. Twice in two games he has had crosses in front of him that he can attack and defenders struggle to lay a glove on him. He hasn't had that service in months.
Fact is a Nevitt/Lewis double act is easily defused by experienced centre halves. Nevitt is known to chase down anything so be aware and his threat is minimal. Lewis works very hard but has no body shape in the box and only threatens when he can throw himself at a cross. His suicidal tackle disguised the fact the keeper shaped to take him out with his shoulder ignoring the ball, the outcome could have been reversed- but Lewis is a model pro with no finesse.
I think Mellon is most unfair suggesting Hemmings should have stayed a complete passenger in recent weeks watching from the box. Like Vaughan and Norwood before him he had to seek out possession and gain it very deep. His efforts were more Ferrier like in such a dysfunctional attack.
Mellon can't hide behind his lack of troops excuse for his poor use of the bench. Surely Burton could have put more yards in than Hemmings who was as usual spent, in the dying minutes? Mellon is ultra cautious and no doubt worried about a corner, but he had Simeu added already. He had 21 players around the box at corners, this is mainly self inflicted.
Sunday is a problem, Mumbongo has another half in him, Hemmings must be on empty now. I'd start with Hemmings and add Hughes to midfield. Bring Mumbongo on at half time and aim to withdraw Hemmings later, let Burton charge about a bit. You have to manage your resources which now will be limited energy levels. Anything new will disrupt a flagging Crewe anyway.
On the downside the goal was poor, he was not unsighted. The defender to his left was wide of the shooter and the two on his right were outside the shot so Doohan had sight throughout, it passed him 5-6 feet inside the post and travelled maybe 25 yards. Poor and very average for this standard which is what Doohan is.
Again 10 mins into the second half Bristow goes to sleep, a tame cross and the winger steps inside him and misses a glaring chance without Bristow even reacting let alone getting some contact in. His forward play was modestly more aggressive but a on-two in the box should see a shot not a poor pass.
Tranmere need to sign a left back, the performance of the right and left flanks has never been so marked. Sadly Cogley maybe off, money rather than fame beckons, I'd guess Simeu will replace.
Hero of 2022 part 1, Hemmings the only forward in the northern hemisphere to play in over 99% of the minutes. Hero of the night the Ref clearly didn't get the World Cup memo on injury time, 5 mins was very low.