• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Barrow v Rovers

Match result

• Barrow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Barrow v Rovers
Posted by Ian
SO Legal Stadium
Thursday, December 29, 2022 - 07:45 PM
Until: Thursday, December 29, 2022 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Rovers are quickly back in action after their excellent 3-0 win against Doncaster as they take the relatively short trip north to take on the Bluebirds. Barrow are having a decent season currently sitting 7th in the league, five points ahead of Rovers with 11 wins so far this season. However, their recent form has been poor. Recent results include a draw at Salford, a 1-0 loss to Swindon and a 5-0 thrashing against Stevenage. Rovers can go into this game in high spirits and could really start to close the gap if they can manage three points here.

Rovers' last visit to Holker Street ended in a 1-1 draw with Josh Hawkes grabbing an early lead only for Barrow to equalise in the second half with an Ollie Banks penalty. A game Rovers really should have won albeit the awful conditions on the day. Barrow feature a couple of ex Rovers players such as Mark Ellis (currently out on loan), George Ray and Sam Foley.

Rovers have a couple of knocks and bruises to contend with after Mondays game but nothing to worry about according to Micky Mellon. Rovers will of course be bolstered up front with the return of Mumbongo to help Hemmings so let's hope we see another good showing from the front pair.

Last edited:

ALDO MUSSY

Player
ALDO
Manager
KINGY
yes let us hope we can keep mumbongo fit and see an improvement upfront

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Barrow are in relatively poor form at the moment, losing three of their last four games, and only drawing at Salford despite playing the majority of the game against ten men. However, their home record this season is excellent, with eight wins from eleven. Holker Street is a venue we have struggled at in recent years, open and exposed to the elements, and this will be a very tricky game. Our last victory there was the crazy 4-3 match under Brabin in 2015-16.

Barrow are having a remarkable season given their limited resources and a squad which does not look that great on paper. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts, although one of their most talented players Robbie Gotts is apparently back from injury on Thursday.

I would guess we will start with an unchanged team, although Mumbongo's fitness will have to be monitored closely given the heavy schedule. Simeu is available for selection following his suspension.

Barrow occupy the final play off spot and a victory would be a huge shot in the arm and would genuinely put us back in the promotion race. However, I think four points from the next two away games would be a good return.

It will be interesting to see how many Rovers fans travel, with 1,000 tickets already sold for Crewe on New Year's Day.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Barrow occupy the final play off spot and a victory would be a huge shot in the arm and would genuinely put us back in the promotion race.
You are right, RLC. With more than half the season to play, we are just two wins behind Carlisle in fourth position. Below us, Grimsby and Crewe have games in hand to catch us, so I'd argue that more than half the teams (4th to 17th place) are in a realistic position to challenge for the play-offs. The problem is that Leyton Orient, Stevenage and Northampton are in a league of their own at the moment an are well clear in the autos. So, we must just keep up the good work and hope at least one of those three starts to crack. The business each club does in January will make a difference.

Player
Manager
John King
I don't think catching the top three is remotely realistic to be honest. If we are in contention for a top seven position in April, we will have done well.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Watched the Orient v Stevenage game on TV what a poor game that was, both teams were very ordinary but I expect they will both make the top 3.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
one of barrows best players is right winger and former Stockport man Ben Whitfield. Given our at times exposed left side it’ll be interesting if the bluebirds target Bristow and whether Micky gives hawkes some real reminders about helping Ethan out

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
one of barrows best players is right winger and former Stockport man Ben Whitfield. Given our at times exposed left side it’ll be interesting if the bluebirds target Bristow and whether Micky gives hawkes some real reminders about helping Ethan out
It is a concern that Bristow isn’t developing the defensive aspects of his game enough and we are often targeted on the left side in consequence. Hopefully the coaching staff are giving him some real reminders about his defensive responsibilities.

Hawkes seems to vary in how much work he does defensively from game to game. If there are real concerns with Whitfield then Micky could move Merrie over to the left for greater protection bringing McAlear into central midfield.

After the Boxing Day performance, I can’t see Simeu coming straight back into the side now his ban has ended.

Player
Manager
John King
Bristow is doing fine defensively. Doncaster's right wing back was their best player and Ethan did well against him.

Bristow has only played a handful of games, so his performances are not going to be faultless but he is progressing well. There is no way MacAlear will replace Hawkes at Barrow.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would think the team will be unchanged with Simeu replacing one if the defenders on the bench

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I would think the team will be unchanged with Simeu replacing one if the defenders on the bench
Yes I agree. Can’t change a team after a 3-0 win unless it’s enforced. Simeu will be on the bench and I’m sure is regretting his moment of madness that got him sent off as if Davies can stay fit, him and turnbull could be the first choice pairing for a while

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Bristow is doing fine defensively. Doncaster's right wing back was their best player and Ethan did well against him.
I agree. I am not sure why his defensive duties are being highlighted. He's a very good young player who will only get better. Yes @Sparky, the centre pairing of Davies and Turnbull is looking good so no need to change that.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Personally I’d only change a winning team if either there were injuries or a real star became available and neither apply here. However we have been more vulnerable down the left side so far this season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Sam Foley has been back in the barrow side of late and hit the bar from 25 yards against Salford on Boxing Day. George Ray has been playing and we’ll have to keep an eye on former Walsall man Gordon who has 10 league goals this season

Player
Manager
John King
Their other centre half, Canavan, is a decent player, but you would think we can get at Ray if the two strikers have good games again.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Wind getting up on the Wirral. Suspect it’ll be blowing a game in barrow!

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Unchanged team with Simeu on bench instead of Byrne

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
pleased everyone is fit from Boxing Day. Hopefully a similar performance and score line. Ray and foley start for barrow. The dangerous gotts on the bench for the hosts

Reactions: Ian

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Nolan on the bench ahead of McAlear. Presume Reece is injured/unwell?