• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

And the new manager is..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
This is a major problem with the development model. We don't have reserve and youth teams where youngsters can play competitive football against a decent standard of opposition, and it is undesirable and impossible to simply throw all youngsters straight into the first team (cf. Hockenhull, MaClear etc.).
That we can agree on, RLC. ;)

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Yes, so even struggling League Two clubs can afford to appoint a credible and experienced management team. That corroborates my original point.
That depends on how you look at it. Clubs with limited resources and a currently very limited playing staff, surely have to concentrate on improving that. The object is not to have an impressive coaching team on paper, unless you buy into the fan myth which has permeated into boardrooms that coaches can improve professional players beyond recognition.
At least Palios knows that coaches can only maximise performance and develop a good team ethic, they can't do that with nothing to work on. IMO the squad is littered with players with no future at tier 4 and others who could be sold for more than their playing worth to this team.
The decision seems to be to spend less on coaches and more on players, relatively. This is somewhat in doubt after so much was wasted last summer. It has struck me given the bizarre locations of the players signed last summer, only one person could have watched them sufficiently and that person was not Mellon. In any case, that defies all known scouting systems and whoever it was got it wrong.
Finally I don't know whether there was a culpable cause to this and therefore a possible remedy, but the amount of players who had a negligible contribution to the season is truly shocking.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
That depends on how you look at it. Clubs with limited resources and a currently very limited playing staff, surely have to concentrate on improving that. The object is not to have an impressive coaching team on paper, unless you buy into the fan myth which has permeated into boardrooms that coaches can improve professional players beyond recognition.
At least Palios knows that coaches can only maximise performance and develop a good team ethic, they can't do that with nothing to work on. IMO the squad is littered with players with no future at tier 4 and others who could be sold for more than their playing worth to this team.
The decision seems to be to spend less on coaches and more on players, relatively. This is somewhat in doubt after so much was wasted last summer. It has struck me given the bizarre locations of the players signed last summer, only one person could have watched them sufficiently and that person was not Mellon. In any case, that defies all known scouting systems and whoever it was got it wrong.
Finally I don't know whether there was a culpable cause to this and therefore a possible remedy, but the amount of players who had a negligible contribution to the season is truly shocking.
I think I agree with what you say, but would like to add the balance of experience with youth in the playing squad is not there. But to add to that the experience now of the football staff does not smack of what I would consider balanced yes, the addition of Neil Danns, does add the career he has had but management wise, no league experience.
One of the questions, I keep repeating is who is doing the recruitment? Who has the final say? Who will pick the team? Is Ian Dawes just a coach?
The season just finishing has not worked, to what many supporters have expected, or got! And because this division has been so poor, we have again threw away a chance for promotion. It won't be the same again! More sky money announced this week and more clubs with big player budgets. If it doesn't work next season?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I think I agree with what you say, but would like to add the balance of experience with youth in the playing squad is not there. But to add to that the experience now of the football staff does not smack of what I would consider balanced yes, the addition of Neil Danns, does add the career he has had but management wise, no league experience.
One of the questions, I keep repeating is who is doing the recruitment? Who has the final say? Who will pick the team? Is Ian Dawes just a coach?
The season just finishing has not worked, to what many supporters have expected, or got! And because this division has been so poor, we have again threw away a chance for promotion. It won't be the same again! More sky money announced this week and more clubs with big player budgets. If it doesn't work next season?
I would think the new Technical Director will have the overall ssy on signings if we do get one in. Dawes will pick the team etc.
The additional tv money comes into play the season after next, of relegated teams the MK Dons will have a big budget, FG will have competitive budget, Accrington and Morecambe probably fairly low.

I would think the new Technical Director will have the overall ssy on signings if we do get one in. Dawes will pick the team etc.
That’s how I read it, and it would make sense.

It would also provide some comfort that MP accepts player recruitment hasn’t been right for some time. If we can crack that, we’ve got a chance.

I’m also more comfortable with the idea of Dawes effectively being more of a head coach than a traditional manager. Not convinced about him in that role either, just a bit more comfortable.

But appointing the right man to be technical director is going to be vitally important. I’m more in hope than expectation about that at the moment.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nigel Adkins appointed technical director.

An old pal of Palios and a former player. An experienced manager albeit not for some time.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
“With Nigel, Ian Dawes, Neil Danns, Andy Parkinson and the returning Andy Hodgen all playing integral roles within the team-behind-the-team, I think we have assembled an exciting group of professionals to give us a platform for success.”

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Interesting permutation of our back room staff. I image our TD is more expensive than the Head Coach and Asst. Let's hope it works out!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I
The question is who will take over in November Danns or Adkins
Danns please. Adkins recent managerial
roles haven’t been successful, but think he could do well in the Technical Director role.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
An interesting appointment. Adkins has not had any recent managerial success, but is obviously greatly experienced and is a strong personality.

Significant that they have delayed this announcement until the eve of the Northampton game, as on the face of it this is a much more positive appointment than the promotion of Dawes.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
But at the end of the day at least palios has done something positive with danns and Adkins

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yes good news with the staff in place overall but ultimately it’ll come down to players and and recruitment and what we can afford to bring in.

If we’re still shopping for the likes of mumbongo, nolan etc then they’ll have a job on their hands to turn us into play off contenders given how many points we’ll end up finishing off the top 7

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Yes good news with the staff in place overall but ultimately it’ll come down to players and and recruitment and what we can afford to bring in.

If we’re still shopping for the likes of mumbongo, nolan etc then they’ll have a job on their hands to turn us into play off contenders given how many points we’ll end up finishing off the top 7
I'm now more convinced the recruitment will be rigorous and thorough.....even if the budget is not top drawer. Clever and better networking might make up for some of the gaps in the budget. Albeit, I'm sure Adkins will have got assurances that it won't be a pittance.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I'm actually happy with this appointment.
This is the experience we need, and hopefully can come together with the right balance of players to give us a chance next season.