• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

And the new manager is..

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Having taken a deep breath after the last few days’ activity, I am inclined to a “let’s be positive or at least wait and see” attitude.

We don’t know what options were realistically available to Mark re the manager and exactly why the other candidates were not hired. So let’s see what Ian can do with a whole summer to recruit.

The arrival of Neil Danns is a pleasant surprise. Macc are a club on the up and would have done everything to keep Neil on board. At last Ian has been able to choose his own number two.

I was resigned to losing Tom Davies, so it speaks volumes for Dawes and the club that he has re-signed and so early. Hopefully others may follow.

So, on balance a positive week after all.

drwhoman

Agree BBTC. Another positive about Neil is that Liverpool obviously regard him highly in that Petaluga , the young Brazilian goalkeeper, seen as a possible long term successor to Alison, was sent on loan to Macclesfield. We may well get more Liverpool loanees although, as we know, they can sometimes struggle to adapt to senior football. Layton Stewart scores a lot of goals for the Under 21s but he is not Liverpool first team material. See what happens!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Having taken a deep breath after the last few days’ activity, I am inclined to a “let’s be positive or at least wait and see” attitude.

We don’t know what options were realistically available to Mark re the manager and exactly why the other candidates were not hired. So let’s see what Ian can do with a whole summer to recruit.

The arrival of Neil Danns is a pleasant surprise. Macc are a club on the up and would have done everything to keep Neil on board. At last Ian has been able to choose his own number two.

I was resigned to losing Tom Davies, so it speaks volumes for Dawes and the club that he has re-signed and so early. Hopefully others may follow.

It is not a positive when we sack one of our best ever managers, search for weeks for somebody suitably qualified to replace him without success, and then appoint a failed assistant whose only real qualification for the job is that he is available and cheap.

The club gets my support next season as ever, but recent events are very concerning and don't inspire confidence as to our future direction under the current owner.

The appointment of Danns is more positive but does not remove those concerns.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It is not a positive when we sack one of our best ever managers, search for weeks for somebody suitably qualified to replace him without success, and then appoint a failed assistant whose only real qualification for the job is that he is available and cheap.

The club gets my support next season as ever, but recent events are very concerning and don't inspire confidence as to our future direction under the current owner.

The appointment of Danns is more positive but does not remove those concerns.
RLC, I hope you won’t take it the wrong way when I say that I hope I’m right and you are wrong. ;)

ADD

Player
Norwood

That's the spirit BBC!
Interesting indeed how highly Davies spoke of Dawes. Now I get he could be on a 3 line whip to be positive but I simply don't think he would go along with it if it wasn't genuine. He also mentioned style of play which was interesting I felt.
Danns appointment has come out of left field somewhat but I feel is an excellent appointment. It also makes me wonder about how real the BBM rumours were in fact given it is pretty quick going to put it mildly to appoint Danns on Friday if BBM was the preferred candidate as late as Monday?
Now I am not saying there is not risk or he would have been my first choice but I am cautiously optimistic especially with Danns now in situ that we will get more enjoyable football next season and also decent results.
Naive or not we shall see!

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
That's the spirit BBC!
Interesting indeed how highly Davies spoke of Dawes. Now I get he could be on a 3 line whip to be positive but I simply don't think he would go along with it if it wasn't genuine. He also mentioned style of play which was interesting I
I would expect Davies to be buzzing, though. A new contract and no surprise if he is donning the armband come August.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Mellon was at the end of a two year contract, so the payout would not have been significant. Presumably Dawes and Parkinson were on similar, relatively short term contracts.

No, the finances are not good at present. However, many League Two clubs struggle financially but still manage to replace managers and assistants when they sack them (which happens frequently).
And half of them will finish lower roughly. Sometimes I read comments relating to a failing team, they are mid-table. Many peers have done lots worse than Tranmere is recent years, the problem seems to be that maybe ten clubs you wouldn't even consider previously are now serious league entities.

Player
Manager
John King
Interesting indeed how highly Davies spoke of Dawes.
Dawes sems to have curried favour with certain senior players, but is unpopular with others. Nothing particularly unusual about that in the football world, but I don't get the impression he is universally admired.

In any case, it is his job to get the players to get results for him, not be his bezzy mate.

I will judge Dawes on results.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Here's another positive, at least he won't be as bad as Mike Jackson :speechless:

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Here's another positive, at least he won't be as bad as Mike Jackson :speechless:
He already has!
Sorry Ian! Jacko was another promoted from within and work with what we give you situation.
Jacko was probably our best ever first team coach, not manager! His work behind the scenes were a huge part of MM 's success.
And now, at Burnley, doing the same job, has got them promotion with ease to the premiership.

The last few weeks under Dawes has been so bad!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I do have grave doubts but let's just see what shape we are in for next season. It will be interesting to see the ins and outs and whether we can improve on what we have.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I do have grave doubts but let's just see what shape we are in for next season. It will be interesting to see the ins and outs and whether we can improve on what we have.
That will be a key issue, what the recruitment is like and who leaves.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Interesting development, pity the club hasn't announced locally........................................ https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/so...kCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar
The reason it is not so newsworthy is because this is not so unusual, this is the international desk run by the two guys mentioned. It is the same guys who have been to China. They have also had visits from the states, Canada and other countries as well.
We did have connections with the Irish republic football clubs many years ago, but since age restrictions came into youth football, it dried up very quickly.
If we needed connections, there are plenty of ex players and clubs that would be eager to have the opportunity.

My final point would be.
If we did have a recruit who was really good, what chance of first team football would he have, with no youth team, no reserves, no u23s, no u21s and being played in a development squad where the opposition is very poor!

Rovers is not ideal for producing real quality, due to many more reasons than tbis.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
No one was complaining when Daws won 5in a row we have to wait and see we all could do with being cheered up

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
My final point would be.
If we did have a recruit who was really good, what chance of first team football would he have, with no youth team, no reserves, no u23s, no u21s and being played in a development squad where the opposition is very poor!
Good point. With only a few youngsters and a small first team squad, we could not run a reserve team this season. As a result, all our development players had to be loaned out and only Rhys Hughes has seen much action in a Rovers shirt.
To develop players properly, we can’t trust this to other clubs in non-league. I’d like to see us running another team but expect it would cost too much. Loaning out is by far the cheaper option.

Player
Manager
John King
Good point. With only a few youngsters and a small first team squad, we could not run a reserve team this season. As a result, all our development players had to be loaned out and only Rhys Hughes has seen much action in a Rovers shirt.
To develop players properly, we can’t trust this to other clubs in non-league. I’d like to see us running another team but expect it would cost too much. Loaning out is by far the cheaper option.
This is a major problem with the development model. We don't have reserve and youth teams where youngsters can play competitive football against a decent standard of opposition, and it is undesirable and impossible to simply throw all youngsters straight into the first team (cf. Hockenhull, MaClear etc.).