• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

And the new manager is..

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I suppose the caveat to the Adkins appointment is how much day to day involvement will he actually have ? I think he is still based down in Hampshire, so will he be actively involved in recruitment, speaking to Dawes on a daily basis etc., or just a detached figurehead ?

We shall see.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Adkins there to help Dawes of course, but it will be interesting if the season starts badly, it won’t do Dawes any good having Adkins in the main stand possibly chatting to Palios about what he would do differently ……..

Last edited:

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
Adkins there to help Dawes of course, but it will be interesting if the season starts badly, it won’t do Dawes any good having Adkins in the main stand possibly chatting to Palios about what he would do differently ……..
That probably depends on how much of a "team" they are. If the roles (and personalities) work together well, you can turn this ion its head and see it as a positive. Challenge , in the right way, is a good thing and I'm sure that some form of mentoring is behind the structure. If there is a bad start, this set up may actually protect Dawes as an inexperienced manager.

Player
Manager
John King
My concern is more that the roles won't be clearly enough defined, and there won't be clear lines of responsibility and hence accountability.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
My concern is more that the roles won't be clearly enough defined, and there won't be clear lines of responsibility and hence accountability.
Yes, always difficult to be sure from the outside, but you'd hope Mark and Nicola have enough experience between them to cover this off. It is, after all, fairly basic management principles.

Player
Manager
John King
I think it depends whether the Adkins appointment was planned a long time in advance, or was more of a knee-jerk reaction when they realised they had to give the manager's job to Dawes.

The jury is out on that one.

drwhoman

If it brings in the new investment that is badly needed then this structure can only be seen as a positive. What happens thereafter is another thing!

Player
Ian Goodison
Strange day in the world of football management with both Gary O'Neil and Darren Moore being relieved of there duties?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Strange day in the world of football management with both Gary O'Neil and Darren Moore being relieved of there duties?
Even more so Darren Moore. After 18 months he got the Owls promoted. Remember the recent comeback from 0-4 down after the first leg of the play-off semi-final. Should you sack a manager just after that?

drwhoman

I think that the owner at Bournemouth thinks that the new guy, who was appointed immediately afterO’Neill was sacked, will do more than keep them in the Premier League. He has a good CV but managing in the PL is a tough gig. Time will tell!