• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

And the new manager is...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
The comments from Brabin in that interview are absolute bull***t, and he knows it. All summer long and into the season itself he said he wanted a small squad of 17 / 18 players, not people 'sitting in the stands'. After the Sutton fiasco he then claimed in his post match interview he had been 'saying for ages' that he needed more players and effectively blamed the Chairman for the performance, comments which I believe precipitated his sacking. And that is without even considering all of the other charges against him.

It is telling that the club have not felt the need to respond to his comments.

M

Mal

I honestly do not care what he says. He is no longer at Tranmere and I look forward to Mellon moulding the players into a winning team. He does have a decent track record at this level.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Nice comments from MM here -

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ews/new-tranmere-boss-mellon-humbled-12004228

But further into the article, what on earth is Brabin on about?
It was him team at Sutton so who was playing "that shouldn't have been"?
Is he trying to say that he was forced to pick players because his squad was so small?
It reads like sour grapes, but yes he probably feels he should have been safe for a few weeks after such a good start. However, I don't understand what he is getting at either. But wasn't that a major problem with GB? He never really said anything meaningful that you understood. Listening to Micky Mellon's first press conference, he was much more expressive and eloquent.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I know many non Tranmere fans who think the sacking was harsh. 2 weeks or so after getting manager of the month he is fired. Doesn't happen too often.

I've tried to explain to them that even during the winning run, things didn't look great and no one was really surprised when things started going sour. MP should take some credit for acting early to give a new manager a realistic chance of taking us up. Whether it works out or not remains to be seen.

Wouldn't surprise me if GB ended up at Wrexham if Mills was sacked.
Unlike many on this forum, I did say at the end of last season that I didn't think GB would ever get us promoted and we needed a new manager then. It was only a question of time how long MP would give him.

Player
Manager
John King
Quite a few of us said the same BBTC. In fact, I think the majority of supporters had little confidence in him at any stage, even when we were winning games.

drwhoman

Maybe Gary should have a little dignity. It did not work out and he should move on. A number of us said before the season that the squad was light and it was quite clear by the Sutton game that GB was not managing in a more creative and flexible way than last season. For example, he seemed to lack ideas when it came to substitutes and as for his square pegs in round holes efforts ....

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
He's just not a great manager, his track record will tell you that. Maybe if he wasn't so blasé about his MOTM award he wouldn't have been so surprised when he got the boot!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Brabin was given ample time to sort a decent squad first season, being appointed in May. The end product was horribly unbalanced. It was fairly clear that the Palioi would give him another chance, the small squad was his preference, so to come out with such ill-judged remarks in the wake of the Sutton debacle, made his departure inevitable. However, questions remain on recruitment; Ethan Jones, a puzzling addition, does not seem to have been recruited by the former manager.

Forward with Micky!

M

Mal

Watching England last night was like watching Brabin's Tranmere team! All puff and no end product.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I've given up with England. Awful to watch.

drwhoman

Well. Gary Mills did not last much longer than Brabin so we may not have done better appointing him in 2015. I see that all four Welsh Managers have been sacked in the last 15 days!

Player
Manager
John King
No surprise that Mills has gone. The squad he has assembled there is dreadful, aside from the back four and keeper, and he has got a decent budget too. However, I think Wrexham's policy of only offering one year contracts works against them, and is one of the reasons Connor Jennings is here for example.

What price Gary Brabin for The Racecourse ? :eek:

Last edited:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Don't think the Wrexham budget is that good, lost a few players in the summer to better deals elsewhere and may also be a factor in the shorter contracts. Our Welsh neighbours are Trust-run and fairly cash-strapped. That said, the quality of players Mills brought in was poor and existing players like Newton a shadow of last season. Maybe Mills lined up for York job now.

I would think Wrexham could do better than Brabin, though he did ok at Southport on threadbare resources.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I think Brabin might not be too bad for Wrexham. He's available, has something to prove and I doubt they could get anyone better. Say what you like about GB, he's a safe pair of hands who will do an OK job. I wish him well - and Paul Carden too, if he rejoins him. With their current resources, Wrexham would be hard pressed to get promotion no matter who was manager.

Mills had great success with York last time around, so it would make sense to both parties.

Player
Manager
John King
Don't think the Wrexham budget is that good
It is not that bad either: about £600-700,000, similar to Lincoln's this season (who are vastly outperforming them) and significantly better than Chester's (also outperforming them).

It is a top half budget at the very least.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is not that bad either: about £600-700,000, similar to Lincoln's this season (who are vastly outperforming them) and significantly better than Chester's (also outperforming them).

It is a top half budget at the very least.
Puzzling approach to player recruitment/retention then. Thought Lincoln had extra investment this season, but the comparison with Chester is telling

Player
Manager
John King
When you consider Cowley's performance at Lincoln, it also emphasises how far we have underachieved on our £1.1 million budget !

Player
Manager
John King
Gary Mills is the new York City manager. And so the merry-go-round continues........

I wonder where Brabin will end up ?

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I wonder where Brabin will end up ?
I'm sure GB is still a marketable commodity. He'll be back in work within weeks. He'll have to decide whether he wants to follow his dreams as a manager or go back into coaching with a big club like Everton where he was before he joined us. Either way, I wish him luck.