• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

And the new manager is...

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Let's keep manager discussions in here please as it's spilling into a few threads.

Frenchrover just reported Mickey Mellon as manager and Mike Jackson as no.2

Do you think they can still play? :D

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Probably the best we could get at this level.

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
Not sure on this one, he's got a great record at Fleetwood but not so good of late.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Where did it all go wrong at Shrewsbury?
Odds on a Mangan return?

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
5 wins in 30 games this year. This isn't sounding good

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe a change of scene will be good for him. New challenge, and boy what a challenge!

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Whilst they have a great ground and set up, Shrews gates are less than ours and they are probably punching above their weight in League 1.
Mellon has probably taken them as far as he can and that's probably why they're waning at present.
I'm pleased with the appointment. He and Jacko are no strangers to PP and will be more aware of the expectations than some outsider coming in.
If this can be formally announced before Saturday then I'm sure it will prove a great tonic to club, players and fans alike.

Reactions: Ian
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Great appointment, better than i had hoped for. Mellon has three promotions to his name and won the conferenxe with Fleetwood. All appointments carry risk but realistically he could not be expected to take Shrewsbury any higher than tbey are now.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
You cant criticise his record this season as Shrews are clearly above their level looking at their squad.

As RLC says, 3 promotions isn't to be sniffed at and it was always going to be difficult for Shrews this season.

Mellon is a former player as is Jackson who is a natural leader. Don't they have Danny Coyne on the coaching books too?

I'm really pleased with this and as Ian said, we couldn't expect much more at our level.

Mangan and Cook would be a great partnership if we could give them decent service !

M

Mal

There are many managers changing clubs. Most seem to have about 3 years success in them at any one club, then it goes pear shaped, usually due to lack of funds or they reach level of capability or motivation.

We are roughly where Fleetwood were so hopefully that counts for something.

M

Mal

5 wins in 30 games this year. This isn't sounding good
As I just said, in a roundabout way, a change is as good as a rest, so hopefully things will improve given the undoubted quality we do have . I reckon he will make better use of our current crop of players than previous incumbents.

Feel sorry for Carden though. Hope he falls on his feet.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
The Shrews are a decent club hence the countless connections between our clubs in recent years. This move spares their Board of terminating MM's contract, an act I'm sure wasn't too far off the horizon and one they wouldn't have taken lightly.

M

Mal

Apart from the gossip column in the press, what is the actual source of this appointment announcement? Happiness is a jump-the-gun?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe he's changed his mind..

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
The STFC official site says he and Jacko have left so we're half way there!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Think it's only a matter of time just before the big game on Saturday.