• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

And the new manager is...

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I am not sure it will be that straightforward as if we are only in talks there are many things both parties could object to. However, I am desperate for this deal to go through.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rumours elsewhere that Coventry are sniffing around Mellon....

I'd be surprised as he's just left a struggling L1 club. Surely they would want a better candidate

lonerover

Player
Johnny Morrissey
Saw a tweet earlier that suggested Carden had cancelled his press conference today, so that suggests something is afoot. Hope this does go through as think would be great appointment. The trio of Mellon, Coyne and Jackson have worked really well.

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Well it's official now, Micky is our new manager with immediate effect. He takes charge for the Wrexham game.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Well pleased. And brings a decent number two with him.
No smart comments about "number two " please!
As I posted before, a great pick me up for us all before Saturday.

M

Mal

does he immediately bring in an assistant manager? bit harsh on Carden.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
A good appointment; 2 promotions on his record, one of which was taking Fleetwood out of this league. Realistically we couldn't have done better.

I'm a little surprised there isn't a handover period and he's going to take charge straight away though.

drwhoman

No point in messing around. It would have been invidious for PC to be left there for the weekend. Mellon will have some idea of what the score is at Rovers. See if he gives the team a honeymoon lift tomorrow.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I'm cautiously optimistic. Not quite so over the moon as some of you. Doesn't quite fit my ideal of an ambitious manager with a little experience and some success who is on the way up. On the contrary, you could make the parallel with Adams who joined us after an unsuccessful spell with Port Vale without taking some time out to recharge the batteries.

But on the positive side, he's delivered with both his clubs (both promotions and cup runs) and was unlucky to get fired by Fleetwood and Barnsley. A big plus is his club affinity. In the last 45 years all our successful managers have been ex-players. And like Micky, the most successful (Kingy and Ronnie) have had two spells here as a player.

I can't say how successful he will be, but I'll bet the fans take him to their hearts immediately, unlike GB and PC.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well that dragged on a bit. Great news. Onwards and upwards!

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
does he immediately bring in an assistant manager? bit harsh on Carden.

I think Carden has been treated ok. He was not fired along with Brabin and Palios has publicly thanked him for looking after things in the last couple of weeks. I have some sympathy for him, but ultimately he was part of a failed management team and Mellon will obviously want his own people with him.

I don't agree with BBTC's caution by the way. Every managerial appointment is a risk, but I did not think we could attract someone of Mellon's calibre. I don't think the comparison with Adams is fair either, as they are at opposite ends of their managerial careers.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
All the pessimists about him should take a back seat.
Great appointment.
I'll be singing his name on Saturday for sure.
Have the last few managers brought any more optimism?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Well the good news is that the majority are excited by this appointment and he'll get a real good backing from the go. A real buzz we've not had for quite some time as Cowshed Kid alludes to above. His connection with the club also helps.

Cowshed Kid

Player
Bobby Hutchinson
Carden was perhaps unlucky with the result against Gateshead.
He had a threadbare squad to pick from.
He took a chance with Evans and for me Kirby was a waste of a shirt.
He spoke well to press, but I'm sure he was a gonna whatever the results.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I know many non Tranmere fans who think the sacking was harsh. 2 weeks or so after getting manager of the month he is fired. Doesn't happen too often.

I've tried to explain to them that even during the winning run, things didn't look great and no one was really surprised when things started going sour. MP should take some credit for acting early to give a new manager a realistic chance of taking us up. Whether it works out or not remains to be seen.

Wouldn't surprise me if GB ended up at Wrexham if Mills was sacked.