• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Wrexham v Rovers

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I don't know about everyone else, but I get nervous about these derby games. On current form Rovers go into this match as favourites: we are playing as well as we have all season while the Dragons have won only two of their last eight and have problems in the defensive and goalkeeping positions according to their supporters.

However, we all know football is never that simple, and the highly charged atmosphere on Tuesday will make this a one-off occasion. With two home games to follow, I would be happy to escape with a point and keep the unbeaten run going.

It will be interesting to see which team Brabin opts for. Despite their current poor form, Wrexham are good in possession and will have a lot of the ball, so I would probably prefer a relatively cautious approach. Either way, a couple of inform players will be disappointed on Tuesday.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I would keep the same team as long as Ihiekwe is fit to start and try to take the game to them. Think we will win 2 1

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I would also keep the same XI. A draw would be OK but want the winning streak to continue so I'm saying 2-0 to Rovers.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I suppose it depends on firstly whether Brabin is going to opt for the same formation and secondly injuries/fitness. If we stay as a 442, on balance I'd opt for the same line-up as Bromley, if it's more of a 4411 then Norwood and Jennings are more likely to be back in. Did Riley play right-back when coming on or was there a defensive shuffle?

Like RLC, I would take a point. It's very hard to predict derby games and there are a few ex-Wrexham in our ranks. I think they may be a harder side to stifle than Cheltenham, so maybe taking the game to them has it's tactical attractions.

Player
Manager
John King
Did Riley play right-back when coming on or was there a defensive shuffle?

Riley played centre back and did very well, while Sutton went to right back and looked more comfortable than Ihiekwe. I would start with the back four that finished the game yesterday.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Like virtually everyone on this forum, my opinion on Rovers' prospects as the season has progressed has been largely based on the form of the previous two or three matches. It started the season positively, then went south before looking better than ever at the moment. We may be eight games unbeaten, but one day the run will come to an end - just like we ended Bromley's six-match winning streak. All it will take for us to lose is a bit of complacency, our opponents raising their game or some bad luck with the refereeing or injuries. For example, Bromley may claim that a refereeing blunder (when Scott Davies could have been sent off) probably cost them the game.

I am pretty pleased with the way things are going at the moment. We are looking like a competitive side. Earlier in the season, we lacked a cutting edge, but now we have three strikers on form and are able to win matches convincingly. However, it's a derby match and Gary Mills probably feels he has a point to prove. I would be amazed if Wrexham were not pumped up for this match and if one or two our players lose a bit of focus and we get the odd bad decision, we could drop two or even three points on Tuesday. My gut feel is that we'll draw or lose by the odd goal. I hope I'm wrong, but whatever the result, I don't think we'll fall away. I think the team is too good.

Last edited:
M

Mal

A refereeing blunder at Welling cost us 2 points ( in all probability) so it does tend to 'balance out ' over a season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
A refereeing blunder at Welling cost us 2 points ( in all probability) so it does tend to 'balance out ' over a season.
Agreed. Potentially game-changing blunders happen in almost every game, particularly at this level. The better teams react positively when they happen, whereas teams doing badly often use them as an excuse.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
It certainly does. That's the beauty of football. One week you feel cheated, next you feel lucky.

Reading GB comments on the Wrexham game, I've got a feeling Margetts is going to be given the chop for Norwood and Jennings will return to midfield.

Shame, as Maynard and Margetts both had good games.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
You could argue that there was an evening out during the Welling game itself, given the Rovers goal came from a corner, which should have been a Welling goal-kick.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rovers unchanged which is a surprise.

We were great for most of Saturday but tonight is a much tougher game.

Jenno and Norwood amongst the subs. Lets hope we don't need them.

M

Mal

On a light note, we have bolstered the defence. A welsh local paper referred to an interview with Tranmere's Clint Hill and Jay Harris

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Rovers unchanged which is a surprise.

We were great for most of Saturday but tonight is a much tougher game.

Jenno and Norwood amongst the subs. Lets hope we don't need them.

Riley started instead of Ihiekwe

M

Mal

2-2 is not bad. However, not sure if the substitutions were necessary and contributed to the goal. Anyone who went care to comment? BBC stats seemed to give Tranmere the edge.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Would have taken a draw before the game,but it was frustrating to be pegged back when we were ahead. Like Mal, I got the impression the subs had a negative impact. Martin Riley seemed to commit a lot of fouls. Will be good to hear from those attending.

Player
Manager
John King
A draw was probably a fair result in the end, but I thought it was a game that was there for us to win and the substitutions- or at least one of them - did have a negative impact. I think it was the right decision to bring Jenno on in the second half as there were gaps in midfield in the periods when Wrexham were on top. However, I would have taken Maynard off and stuck with a 4-4-2, whereas we switched to 4-5-1 and ended up sitting way too deep in the final twenty minutes. With only Mangan up front we had no outlet and could not get out of our own half. Disappointing, as Wrexham had not been great in the second period until we started to sink deeper, inviting them on. With better game management I think we could have got three points.

It was a bold and surprising starting line up, but give credit to Brabin for being positive and trying to win the game. Until the changes in the second half I thought Wrexham had the majority of the possession but did not create a great deal, whereas with the mobility of our front two and the surges from midfield from Maynard we looked the more dangerous of the two sides. In addition to our negative subs, the decision by Mills to bring Quigley on changed the game in their favour as he gave their attacking play a focus it had lacked previously and scored the equaliser.

A cracking atmosphere with some great banter between the two sets of supporters which stayed just the right side of good taste.

Nine unbeaten now and hopefully we can get six points from the upcoming home games.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Thanks, RLC. I was pleased to see the starting line-up. Although there are occasions when you could change a winning team, this was not one. When players come in and play well, they should be rewarded with another chance. Also, when the team is on a good run, you need to maintain the momentum by playing positively. So, full marks to GB for his selection. However, it seems like GB did not learn from the Kidderminster experience, when subs and a change to a more defensive formation also cost us two points. On the positive side, at least it gave some our key players a rest for the busy schedule ahead.

I'd certainly have taken 2-2 and we haven't lost ground as four of our rivals were playing each other. Although we have extended our unbeaten run, we have dropped two more points, so we must take advantage of the two home games coming up by taking at least four points.

drwhoman

I agree with BBTC that a 2-2 draw before the game would have been acceptable. We can debate the subs but on the face of it,bringing on two experienced pros when 2-1 up was a good move. The issue was arguably the subsequent formation but even then we should recognise that they were playing away in a raucous atmosphere against a team that was fairly pumped up towards the end of the game. Their substitution clearly worked! Onwards and upwards with Forest Green seeming stalling after a fast start to the season and Cheltenham being pretty inconsistent. Two points off the top. Come on Rovers!!!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Very good result. The unbeaten run continues.

M

Mal

Looking at the bottom 6 teams, I am not looking forward to Torquay!!! ( our record against bottom 6 speaks for itself)