• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Wrexham (0) v Rovers (1)

Match result

• Wrexham

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wrexham (0) v Rovers (1)
Posted by Ian
Racecourse Stadium
Saturday, March 16, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Saturday, March 16, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
I thought it was a superb team performance and we deserved the victory. A lot of credit goes to Adkins for the tactical changes he made at half time, which were crucial to the win.

In the first half we were under almost constant pressure, largely due to Wrexham having a spare man in midfield, but we defended the eighteen yard box well and restricted the home side to efforts from distance. The defensive organisation was excellent and there were numerous blocked shots. However, we were struggling to keep possession and I don't think we could have stemmed the tide for ninety minutes.

However, in the second half we matched Wrexham up in a 532, moving Walker into the back three and Apter to central midfield, and I thought we actually looked extremely comfortable and saw the victory out relatively easily. Despite the firepower the hosts brought off the bench, McGee only had one really difficult save to make from a deflected shot.

There were great scenes at the final whistle, with some wonderful 'banter' with the home fans and our old friend Mr Mullin. What a great moment, which would not have seemed possible only a few months ago.

I thought everybody contributed, but Walker, Jennings, Hendry and Turnbull in particular were excellent. Saunders worked tirelessly up front and Yarney had probably his best game for us, and was responsible for a vital goal line clearance in the second half. Man of the match was probably Walker, who defended solidly and sprayed the ball around superbly when he went into the defence, but Adkins again has to take many plaudits for the spirit and organisation he has engendered.

Only seven points off the play offs.......
Agree with everything you've said here. Albeit I thought McGee ran Walker close for MoM....if only for "accidently" getting his foot caught in the net. Brilliant.

• Haha
Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

drwhoman

Nigel is just so passionate with his emphasis on team spirit and togetherness. Football is a ream sport and Nigel stresses that while at the same time praising the individual ability of the players. The squad have clearly bought in to Nigel’s narrative reflected in their willingness to go with the reshaping in the second half. It’s success can only give everyone confidence for the future.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Agree with RLC that the half time tactical changes were key to seeing out victory.
First half we had to do so much defending that I feared with the law of averages second half we’d concede at some point. But the 5-3-2 worked well and having Jennings in midfield with his passing and intelligence worked well.
They threw the kitchen sink at us with all their subs but the fact they had only 4 shots on target out of 25 shows how many interceptions and blocks we made.

The atmosphere was brilliant in the away end and surely players like LOC and Turnbull who may have other options will want to stick around. Special mention for Yarney who gave me concerns after his early booking but he was very good. Turnbull was immense and my MOM was Walker.

Play offs still highly unlikely but stranger things have happened. Every year a team normally comes from nowhere to make the top 7 - could it be us?

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Give me Nigel over there negative manager. You have to give it to Nigel he is infectious he has to be the most positive manager we have ever had i just love it. Ps i just got home after 16 hours between work and doing the private house gig that got me more than a week and a halfs wages for 4 hours work

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Play offs still highly unlikely but stranger things have happened. Every year a team normally comes from nowhere to make the top 7 - could it be us?
If we manage to win the next two, it would make things very interesting with five games to go but it is a tall order. The lads have nothing to lose though.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
If we manage to win the next two, it would make things very interesting with five games to go but it is a tall order. The lads have nothing to lose though.
I’m not getting too excited. We are great against top sides but have played Stockport, Mansfield and Wrexham twice already. We have some games against the wannabes below them and we’ve so far lost them all - even with Nigel in charge. But let’s dream on until it’s impossible.

Nigel is a top manager. When he was appointed I thought he might be a bit out of touch but now I see he’s not just a motivator he’s also a good tactician.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Great performance - thought Walker was absolute class - looked excellent at mid CB. Hendry looking so much better now he is not fighing fires every second. Delightful through ball for Norris goal and it was so well taken. Defender was favourite but hounded him and most imprtantly didn't foul him as many would have done. Yarney looking much better also - still the odd error but did well. A team performance however with everyone giving their all.
Not sure what happened at the end but for it to be instigated by Belehouan is plain daft. He should be concerntrating on being good enough to get in the side - nothing else.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Great performance - thought Walker was absolute class - looked excellent at mid CB. Hendry looking so much better now he is not fighing fires every second. Delightful through ball for Norris goal and it was so well taken. Defender was favourite but hounded him and most imprtantly didn't foul him as many would have done. Yarney looking much better also - still the odd error but did well. A team performance however with everyone giving their all.
Not sure what happened at the end but for it to be instigated by Belehouan is plain daft. He should be concerntrating on being good enough to get in the side - nothing else.
I saw how the end of match troubles started. Jennings shook hands with their CB O’Connell but at the same time said something to him which meant he kicked off and put his head towards Connor. Then everyone else just came in but Connor must have been aggrieved about something O’Connell had done in the match as he’s not normally as angry as he was.

Still, good to see a bit of fight and passion in the lads without going over the top

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Ok guys we have had a great weekend,., now let us get down to business. Looking at the forwards we have. Harvey saunders 2 goals in 35 games this season. Dennis 2 in 28 says it all really Norris has been injured most of the season and the kids are a bit part somthing up top has to change for next season

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Yet despite all that AM, we’re amongst the highest scorers in L2 since Nigel became boss. Players across the park are chipping in with goals. The bigger challenge will be to find someone of comparable quality to play the Robbie Apter role.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Yes goals are coming from all over imagine if we had a 20 goal scorer up top too. Yes we know they are rare and cost a load its just wishful thinking but you gotta dream

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
If Norris stays fit, he will get quite a few. Then you have Dennis and Saunders to compliment him each with their own strengths and like Boz says, if we can chip in with goals from midfield too it isn't looking too bad. I think the days of signing 20+ goals machines is long gone unless we come into some money.