• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Why is it taking so long?

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
I really thought we would have appointed a new gaffer by now.

I'm checking the BBC Sport website a couple of times a day expecting to see some sort of announcement, it's frustrating to say the least ](*,)

Player
Morrisey
If macca is appointed after this long wait then I will be annoyed. Apparently LR is abroad at the moment. Do you think that any sort of progress has been made? I don't. does anyone think that the new manager will have extensive plans in place when he arrives?

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
They should at very best be looking to make some sort of decision by the end of May. Any later than that is a joke. The longer it's left the more chance there is of unsettled players taking a walk, and you really can't blame anyone if they do.

If this happens the new gaffer will have about 6 weeks before playing Wolves in a pre-season friendly!!!!

I don't think it's too much to ask Ms Rogers to get a move on!! #-o

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
If the rumours are to be believed, Lorraine has decided that this is the time of year to take a week's holiday in the United States.

Crazy.

Let's say you're the boss of a company and you just fired one of your senoir managers, scrap that you've just sacked the only manager at the company. Would you then take a holiday before appointing a new one? Would you heck!!! You'd have to do the manager's job for them or appoint a new one straight away. As she is in no way qualified to be a manager, she ought to get cracking finding a replacement and then employing them. As anyone who employs people knows it's not a simple process, and the idea that she's taking a break before getting it started is utter madness. The quickest it will then move when she comes back will be over the course of a fortnight, by which time all the non-contracted players worth having at other clubs will have found new places to be, as will our non-contracted players.

The only explanation that anyone's told me that makes any sense at all (excepting she couldn't give a stuff!) is that Peter Johnson is the one doing the hiring and firing, Lorraine's only at the club to stop anyone spending money, so perhaps things are moving forward without her, as she's not part of the process?

Ally

Player
Aldo
I think Lozzer's definitely a puppet leader at the club, while Peter 'Rip-off Hampers' Johnson overshadows the set-up from the wings. We're in a strange situation. McAteer is acting like the caretaker manager / coach but noone's really running the team, and with Lozzer on holiday how are we going to get players in? Other clubs seem to be signing players and extending contracts, we're doing bugger all. Rubbish.

Personally there's a few managers out there I would be delighted to see at the club - Iain Dowie, Ian Holloway, er, Ian who runs this site. Basically anyone called Ian really. Apart from Ian Goodison, or Ian Wright. Or.... Ian Curtis. Cos he's dead.

DixieDean

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:
The only explanation that anyone's told me that makes any sense at all (excepting she couldn't give a stuff!) is that Peter Johnson is the one doing the hiring and firing, Lorraine's only at the club to stop anyone spending money, so perhaps things are moving forward without her, as she's not part of the process?

Or that a deal is already struck with the new manager? Maybe they have others affairs to sort out first or perhaps even solicitors have to agree contracts?

Player
Morrisey
Someone might have been given the job, got players lined up and are just waiting for LR to return to announce him to the fans.

I have heard today that Clive Woodward has been offered a managers job at a league club. I hope to God it is not us! He will have too much of a status and too much of an influence to do any good. Also as soon as a job in a higher league comes up he will take it. Only speculation, but I hope it is not with us.[-o<

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ally said:
Other clubs seem to be signing players and extending contracts, we're doing bugger all. Rubbish.
Quite right. Whilst directors are taking holidays, everyone else seems to be doing business. What have we done since the end of the season? #-o We are going to have exactly the same team as last year! We need to be looking for quality out there. Maybe the scouts are doing their job whilst Lorraine is on holiday, or maybe they've gone to the states with Lorraine!

Ohh, can I put my vote in as manager too! :whistle: I'd do a dead good job, honest. O:)

nomur

Still The Irish Rover
Player
Power!
Excellent Avatar Ian. Classic moment during the World Cup in 1994 when John Aldridge & Jack Charlton nearly beat the crap out of the linesman and 4th official.

It still doesn't match the moment in the match between Ireland & Romania in Italia '90 when the TV camera cut to Aldo signalling toward the bench and very obviously shouting 'Me F&*$ing Knee' just before he was substituted.

Ah the memories.

Gray

Player
The only positive I can draw from the whole thing is that the longer it goes on the less chance there is that McAteer is going to get the job. (I think if he was they would have announced it by now)

Gray

Player
Ian said:
Whilst directors are taking holidays, everyone else seems to be doing business.

I tend to check the BBC Sport website for all my footy news and for weeks the main Tranmere story was, rather depressingly 'Tranmere 0 - 2 Doncaster', whilst every other club was announcing new signings and managers.

The depressing headline has only recently been replaced by the even more depressing 'Defender Roberts leaves Tranmere'.

I hope this all gets sorted before I go on holiday on 10th June, otherwise I'm just going to have a really crap time worrying about the Rovers :-( :wink:

Ally

Player
Aldo
... Or, a really great time enjoying a holiday and the World Cup, while the worries of club football simply wash away...........O:)

Joe_TRFC

'Midfield General'
Player
Nevin
I think you will find a hint in when the new manager will be announced by the way the club have extended the season ticket offer til Friday 2nd June. I think this means we can expect a appointment on the 1st or 2nd of June and no sooner. We need a manager in now so we can assemble a squad!

B

Banana Army

Gray said:
The only positive I can draw from the whole thing is that the longer it goes on the less chance there is that McAteer is going to get the job. (I think if he was they would have announced it by now)

What like they announced straight away that McLaren would be England manager?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe they haven't had many applicants :whistle:

S

Stephen

i have heard we have interviewed keith alaxander the ex lincion manager who left his post as manager yesterday does this mean hes coming to tranmere what do you think ??????
as any 1 heard of him is he any gd ???

Ally

Player
Aldo
According to reports he's on his way to London Road to take control of Posh.

As usual, we as a club are left behind in pre season!!!!! Signings come and go and we are left with being told to bet money on barcelona or leeds, watch the world cup and oh, there are vacancies at the club for waiting on staff

Brilliant

DixieDean

I was thinking that the longer it goes on the less likely it is that our new boss would be McAteer, but I'm now thinking that they are waiting to sell as many season tickets as possible BEFORE announcing it IS McAteer!

If they'd have announced it was him three weeks ago, I don't honestly think there'd be as much interest in renewing tickets (I for one, won't renew if he's the boss).

However, by taking their time over the announcement, they have people thinking "It can't be McAteer as he'd be boss by now" and so this (false) hope tempts people to renew.

This could also explain why Lorraine is so happy to go on holiday!?

Perhaps the extended season ticket date is related to the day she returns and announces Macca as the new boss?

I sure hope I'm wrong.....