• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Which management team?

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In the Echo today Gareth Roberts & Simon Howarth are showing an interest in the job too.

I definitely would not want either of those two. Coleman might be a reasonable appointment, but he was not successful at League One level with Rochdale (assuming we stay up) and would really be a journeyman manager of the type we have had a number of in the last decade.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Coleman would be the wrong choice. While he has some ability at working with a low budget the quality of his sides football and certain personality issues would make him an uncomfortable fit at Tranmere. Just read the remarks on the Southport website about his departure.

The signs are that Mr Butler wants someone new to management with connections. This sounds a bit like Dave Watson mark II to me. Someone with a non-league background but without Coleman's attitude would be a better prospect in my opinion.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Although our choice will be very limited, I really hope they make the right appointment as I've not been happy with our choice of managers over the years. Watson, Barnes/McAteer etc etc.. I just hope they don't go down that route again. We need stability and a firm but fair manager to sort this club out.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry is going to be applying for the job, hell, I might even submit my application! So I just hope with the small choice they are going to have, they make it a good one.

Higgy

Player
Dave Higgins
Rumours round work suggest Coleman earmarked. Not sure he is the answer, but may be it is time to move away from ex players, physios, coaches etc.

Unless Goodi for player manager - would save a few bob:)

frenchrover

Player
aldo
Regrettably Goodi hasn't been offered a new contract amongst the 5 who have (Koumas, Jennings, Wallace, Taylor and Mooney) Joining Goodi on the non-retained list are Akpa Apro and Morris. After his display on Saturday I would have given Goodi another year if only on a "pay for play" contract. I'm amazed that these decisions have been taken without confirmation of the managerial appointment. Do we take it that McMahon has been confirmed as manager without any annoucement....so much for Jeremy Butler's much vaunted open communication policy! Easy to talk but not very much evidence of walking the walk.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I honestly don't think JM has any chance of becoming manager, but I do think they need to act fast regarding player contracts. It's pretty obvious who the better players are and if we can secure them, it's only a plus for whoever comes in.

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Coleman would be a sensible approach for League Two but we dont seem in any rush to get a new manager which seems crazy, is John Mc just keeping going and going,is he actually on a contract himself?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It is going to take a time to advertise interview and appoint a new manager; it wouldn't make sense to do nothing while that happens. With Ash and Wallace if we didn't offer contracts (think on at least the same terms) they could go without any fee, even a derisory tribunal one. I agree with Ian that McMahon won't be the next manager, but he may well be involved in some capacity and there haven't been any major surprises on the released/retained list.

Player
Manager
John King
Coleman would be a sensible approach for League Two

Coleman's only real achievement in league football is avoiding relegation to the Conference with Accrington. So unless we are bracing ourselves for yet another relegation battle next season, he would not be the right choice in my view.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mcmahon will still be involved in some capacity as he has another year contract.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Mellon is apparently going to be appointed Shrewsbury boss in the next 24 hours....a shame that

Player
Manager
John King
Mellon is apparently going to be appointed Shrewsbury boss in the next 24 hours....a shame that

Yes, I agree. I am actually quite surprised that Shrewsbury managed to attract him as I did not think they were that ambitious. Slightly frustrated that we did not get in ahead of them and offer him the role at PP.

Hopefully we will make an imaginative appointment ourselves and not just one of the usual suspects.......

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Mellon has supposed to have been involved in sum dodgy dealings leading to him being sacked in the past.

Player
Manager
John King
Mellon has supposed to have been involved in sum dodgy dealings leading to him being sacked in the past.

Really ? I was not aware of any accusations against him and he has only been sacked as a manager once, at Fleetwood.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe they did speak to Mellon. Not being funny but I think you'd have to be pretty desperate to take the PP hot seat. We're hardly on the up, and the lack of money will play a huge part in what calibre of manager we eventually end up with.

Player
Manager
John King
Maybe they did speak to Mellon. Not being funny but I think you'd have to be pretty desperate to take the PP hot seat. We're hardly on the up, and the lack of money will play a huge part in what calibre of manager we eventually end up with.

Things must be bad though, if Shrewsbury are a more attractive proposition than us. They are as skint as us (as far as I am aware) and they don't have the historical connection with Mellon that we have.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
When are we interviewing for a new manager? Mellon could be a decent appointment at this level, the main question mark being how he copes with the relatively small budget at Shrewsbury.

Player
Manager
John King
When are we interviewing for a new manager?

No idea, but then the club is hardly renowned for the speed of its decision making. As important as this appointment is, we must not leave it too late or we will end up with the same inadequacies in the squad as we had last season.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
The club should be well advanced already in getting a manager, given that Ronnie was sacked five weeks ago. At that time, they should have started to organise how they would do it. They should have advertised the post on the last day of the season - or even earlier. We should have a new man in place soon, but I won't hold my breath. However, I'll bet they've already put out feelers and they'll have had some tentative enquiries from some of the likely candidates. The club can seem to be slow, but they appointed Aldo and Ronnie (last time) very quickly.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It was supposedly to do with a striker during his time at Fleetwood. Anyway need to get a move on and try to get someone in as manager sooner rather than later