• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Which management team?

Player
Nixon
I liked Ronnie.

But looking forward my dream team would be

manager ... Paul Ince
assistant .... Ray Mathias

That would do me fine,
Paul Ince has drive and bottle.
Ray is a legend and scouted for many of the biggest teams in the land.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
That combo ticks most of the boxes for me. I think Paul might be interested, but Ray is in his late sixties and may no longer be. John Mc has done well enough to stay at number two.

Another question is whether to leave John Mc in charge until our fate is settled or to bring in the new manager asap. There's a case for waiting. A change might affect the team spirit and it may be easier to attract a good manager once the ownership has been sorted.

Last edited:
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In all seriousness, I could not imagine a worse appointment than Paul Ince. The decision on a new manager needs to be a considered one with a view to the long-term, not a knee-jerk botch job. John McMahon should, and I would imagine will, remain in charge until the end of the season.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I'm also against the idea of Ince. Don't know if McMahon would want the job permanently or whether he's get it if he applied. If it's not to be him, it would be preferable to have a replacement identified before the end of the season so decisions can be made promptly about out of contract players.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
My preference would be for a younger manager with coaching skills, someone in the same mould as Mark Cooper or Lee Johnson. Given that we are not going to be challenging for honours any time soon, I think we need to focus on developing young players and improving the quality of football at PP if we are to attract some of the stay aways back.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Im also not a great fan of ince given his recent spells at Blackpool and notts county.

The other early favourites Danny murphy and Robbie fowler don't fill me with confidence either.

I don't think JMc is the option though even if we do stay up.

Micky Mellon anyone?! Did well at fleetwood albeit with a load of cash

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Ince is a hot head. That's a recipe for disaster.

Keep JM in charge, he's giving it 100% and the players seem to be working with him. Then review the situation at the end if the season. It might dictate a lot depending on where we finish.

Player
Goodison
I wouldn't touch Ince with a bargepole, the last thing our dressing room needs after this season is him charging in like a bull in a china shop. I agree with Ian that it will depend on which league we are in, hence why John McMahon will stay till the end of the season (I don't want him to have it permanently - I think we need some fresh ideas). I would possibly like to see someone from outside the club come in without the previous connections. I feel that too many of the Ex-Rover/locally based managers are still living in the Johnny King era and can't see the club needs a shake up in terms of youth development and scouting etc.

A potential candidate could be Justin Edinburgh - the Newport County manager. He's done well on a limited budget at Newport and he's learnt his trade through the non-league and into the football league, he might have some knowledge of the non-leagues which the club can tap into. I think Wayne Allison could also be worth looking at as he seemed to make a big difference to Parry when he was in charge, Parry's reign seemed to go backwards when the chief left!

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I agree with RTID that Ince would be a bad choice and JMc is not a long term option either.

The Newport manager sounds like a potential candidate and staying up will help attract that type of person. Other names I have heard mentioned are Dean Saunders (did ok at Wrexham and well at Doncaster I think but poorly at Wolves). Also Micky Mellon who has a good record albeit with plenty of funds when at Fleetwood.

Personally I would like Ned Kelly back with Billy Davies (just sacked from Forest) but maybe I am dreaming !

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I guess its also obvious to point out that whoever is on the shortlist will be dictated by budget. I don't think we should get too excited.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Please not Paul Ince hes been poor for several years now and hopefully not Mcmahon once the season has finished, agree with RLC a young upcoming manager would be ideal

andrewesq

Faith Light Strength
Player
Billy Woods
Ince is a yob. Micky Mellon would be a good shout.
We think alike GroundsmansFork would Mellon be assisted by Big Eric!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Moyes?

Player
Backayogo
Maybe Nicko could help him, they being good mates. (Just read Eric's book). Seriously. Micky Mellon would do well in my opinion.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Haha, yeah, I like your thinking. Terrible getting the sack ain't it.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
What price John Coleman I wonder. Former Accrington manager who did well there has resigned from Southport saying he wants a job in the football league.

Whilst I would prefer Mellon or Saunders, Coleman may be more realistic.

Think about it after Saturday anyway.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
What price John Coleman I wonder. Former Accrington manager who did well there has resigned from Southport saying he wants a job in the football league.

Whilst I would prefer Mellon or Saunders, Coleman may be more realistic.

Think about it after Saturday anyway.
The club should be thinking about already. I agree John Coleman would be a good choice - experienced, local and affordable, although I believe he turned down the job before Les got it. He also knows the non-league scene, which could be a cheap source of talent.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
In the Echo today Gareth Roberts & Simon Howarth are showing an interest in the job too.