• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Useless inept player of the season.

Who has been the most useless inept player / idiot this season?

• McClaren

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Broomes

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Welsh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Curran

• Shuker

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Bain

• Ricketts

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Mahon

• Edds

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Gornell

• Total voters

DIW

Player
Goodison
Was going to do a poll but far too many contenders - CHANGED MY MIND!!!!!!!!!! Explain your choices here. I left certain players off the list as you could only have 10 options anyway, and to my mind players such as Daniels, Zoum, and ITM were no contenders for this prestigious award.

I'm going for McClaren - a midfielder who at this level appears to have no attributes whatsoever. No pace, doesn't score, doesn't create, doesn't really tackle, doesn't break down their attacks, doesn't split a defence, even the set plays are pretty average.
Astonishingly poor.

Player
Dave Challinor
Useless player

Ricketts!

Not sure he qualifies as a player though, lazy, lazy and er lazy.
McLaren a close second (for all your reasons) followed by Bain, what was Barnes looking at? :oops:

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Honestly, there's too many to list..

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Gonna go with Eddsy. He's got nice teeth, but Mclaren is at least so bad that he sometimes makes me laugh. Edds just really depresses me. Marlon has had his moments too, but recent improvements in the facial hair department and one randomly great game at right-back vs Norwich spare him this accolade IMO.

Poll would have been funny, sort one out Ian! Think you can edit threads and ting, supermod as you are.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
At least last night finally dispelled the Bain mythology. The only centre forward I have seen whose sole contribution to a game is running fruitlessly in straight lines and ballooning shots form thirty yards into the centre back's arse.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
defo agree too many to mention though mclaren is up there for being useless

TRFC_Ian

Player
Aldo
Oh how quickly we forget Gavin Gunning!

actually - its probably best to forget him

Ricketts runs him close simply for being a professional footballer who thinks he can take the money and not even bother to be in any kind of physical condition.

If we are looking at someone who has been here all season then McLaren or Mahon. For the money and length of contract Barnes gave him Mahon has been an awful signing. McLaren has also been poor but im guessing hes being paid peanuts in comparison.

Worst by miles...

Shuker the shocker of course, said by his followers at the seasons start to be a star in this division who surely deserves to be playing at a higher level, expected to be a treat against all and sundry. Merely proved to everyone that he wouldnt get more than one game at Marine.
Bet hes the first name on the long clearout list at the seasons end.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Worst by virtue of rarely being selected? If so, in what way has he performed any worse than Mahon, Carole, Barnett, Bain or Cresswell?

Also, please provide evidence for your claims that people on this forum have at any point herladed Shuker as the star of the division who deserves to play at a higher level. You are a troll, a liar and a drama queen.

Well well well

I'm no oil painting I admit, but a troll, come come!!!!!
I'm no liar, pre-season the local press heralded [spelt correctly] his praises and Shuker was to be a star this season. Admittedly not sung from this forum - but I never said it was!!!!!
As for being a drama queen, no no no, dear boy.
But I do believe pro football should be entertaining, or at least try to be, dont you?
And passionate, or else why go?
And fun, occasionally
And sometimes a bit of a let down too
Bit like life really
Do remember....All the worlds a stage etc

Must go and sew some more sequins on my frock now.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
Troll: One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will often spark off such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.

Shuker was always a marginal player, to deny that anyone vaugley involved with the club ever thought otherwise is silly. How you can post the above and claim not to be a drama queen is beyond me. Fair enough if that's your perogative, but it would be conducive to good discussion if you were to substantiate your views occasionally. The Shuker witch-hunt is beyond boring now, and continues, as of yet, without any apparent justification.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Out of all the players there, and boy, are there some bad ones, I'm going to go with McLaren. First choice on the team sheet which annoys me greatly. I'd like to say he's great at set pieces but...

O

OneNightInGayParis

Surprisingly difficult call this one. not sure whether to go for an inept "regular" a la McClaren, Broomes or Gornell; or someone unable to win a place in our stsrting XI. I think its a bit naughty including Edds, Welsh, Curran and Mahon in the list, though - there have been far worse than the first 3 and Mahon has looked OK to me in his recent cameos and is proven at this level and higher. Is it his fault that he can't get selected and will continue to be a financial drain while he isn't?

I don't want to be the cause of Gornell packing it in since I suspect he could make a living out of the game - possibly Blue Square. Far East or Belgian Div 2. Broomes escapes since I knew how bad he was from his Blackburn days - he has actually outperformed my expectation, but is L2 at best. Boringly I am going to have to concur with McLaren - games after game I can't remember anything positive he has added. I appreciate that there are players who go unnoticed but can make a hell of a difference to a team, and offer the most sincere apology if this is the case. However, I suspect that this fella has borrowed Harry Potter's invisibility cloak and wanders round the pitch whispering "don't give it the Whites" into the referees ear.

Player
Goodison
Broomes for me given he seems to touch the ball more often with his hands than his feet. I think Edds been on that list is a tad unfair as he has been fairly solid, if very slow in midfield. McLaren makes Edds look as good as Zidane! I can't put Ricketts down because of the incident with the linesman!

On another note I think these polls should be done much more regularly on the forum.

My Top 3 would be:

Broomes
McLaren
Gordon

Player
Johnny Morrissey
McLaren wins my vote. Same as Ian, he's useless but for some reason Digger and trigger and now Les seem think think he has that bit of class that makes him a regular in the team.

Honourable mentions also to Marlon Broomes (although bit better of late), Alan Mahon (who I thought would be a superb signing but was hopeless when he got on the pitch and clearly isn't fit enough to even play at this level) and Terry Gornell who I just think is rubbish.

Our better performances have been without him on the pitch. The prosecution rests. The defence is non existent Sonko, you lose.
The judges [me ,of course] decision is final - Shuker is the worst by far.

SonkORLY?

Player
Eddy Sonko
How did you therefore reach the conclusion that he's any worse than Mahon or Barnett, who have spent equally little time on the pitch?

TRFCJason

Player
John Aldridge
Shuker the shocker of course, said by his followers at the seasons start to be a star in this division who surely deserves to be playing at a higher level, expected to be a treat against all and sundry. Merely proved to everyone that he wouldnt get more than one game at Marine.
Bet hes the first name on the long clearout list at the seasons end.

How can Shuker be the worst player of the season if he hasn't hardly played?

Only an opinion...

I thought Mahon a poor signing, and expected little.
I rate Barnett at our level at least and think hes not been given a deserved chance.
But I feel let down by Shuker, an experienced and undoubtedly a talented player. He was included at the start of last season as one to watch in our division, true he picked up a bad injury. But after return has given nothing at all to the team. I find that very poor from a player who can deliver when he wants. Of course his injury may have got the better of him but no comment has come out to that effect. So I have to assume that hes fit and as a senior experienced pro I feel entitled to expect him to have played a leading and productive role.
Other players have underperformed I admit but none with the ability of Shuker.
Anyway, on that note I think he should go and it may help our budget position next season.