• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Tranmere (1) v Colchester (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Colchester

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tranmere (1) v Colchester (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, April 1, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Monday, April 1, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
“It's that stage of the season where people might question the mentality of the players, they certainly had a right go today"

Did Nigel leave at half time!?!
I don't think it's a lack of effort for the most part. I think lack of quality is probably more accurate. Lot's of work to do to improve the team but it's going to be difficult on a limited budget. I hope they spend wisely.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I don't think it's a lack of effort for the most part. I think lack of quality is probably more accurate. Lot's of work to do to improve the team but it's going to be difficult on a limited budget. I hope they spend wisely.
Wot he said!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
It's turning into quite a battle for FL survival this season. The 45 points I thought would secure safety might not be enough.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Does any team deserve to lose its EFL status this season? All the teams at the bottom are raising their game but it will be too late for two of them.

I’m glad we are just out of danger as our form is not brilliant and is quite inconsistent.

I wish Nigel luck in trying to motivate our players for the last few games. It has been a long, tiring season for players, staff and fans. None of us can wait for it to end.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Does any team deserve to lose its EFL status this season? All the teams at the bottom are raising their game but it will be too late for two of them.

I’m glad we are just out of danger as our form is not brilliant and is quite inconsistent.

I wish Nigel luck in trying to motivate our players for the last few games. It has been a long, tiring season for players, staff and fans. None of us can wait for it to end.
You can't underestimate the motivation of fear yesterday, however much professionalism we had they had that extra influence. It was odd that while Cowley kept changing players, whereas Nigel like Micky knows most of his knackered are better than what is fresh, either he sees mileage in it or isn't happy with his eleven? Their bench clearly settled for the draw at the end, I thought they could steal it.
The opening unlike Bradford, we hogged the ball and could have seen them off. Apter was probably better than ever, the best decoy for his inside shooting is going outside and crossing. Morris was his rock solid self. Norris is clearly a tidier player than Wood, the triangle with Hendry was awesome at times. We play Norris at LB occasionally, LFC at CM but he looks a wide left player to me?
Thought McAlear did all the unseen Walker stuff very well, I can see why Nigel has him as first sub.
Didn't matter but we peppered their goal just wide mainly, they brought some decent saves out and scored an above average solo effort from distance again. Play a mid-table side equally without an aim and we'd probably outplay them, fear is a drug hard to match.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume

True re teams at the bottom, but Chesterfield deserve to regain their FL status, even though they’ve dropped off having secured it.

I don’t think the end of this season has been as bad as last, though some of Nigel’s selections a little strange.

ADD

Player
Norwood
Very disappointing second half as others have said after a more than decent first half.
The continuing of playing Norris J at LB is plain stupid IMO - he came as a supposed LB I know in his press release but all the previous season he had played LM or even left wing. Has an eye for a pass and in that role will probably do well somewhere but no way is he ever going to be good enough as a LB defensively as RLC and others have said.
As to Apter yes he has several average games recently as he is clearly tiring after so much graft but surely others with far more money than us will be picking him up if Blackpool do feel the need to sell him.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A few thoughts, us signing Apter I will be very surprised, I think Blackpool will look to sell him as they play with wing backs and they will get several offers way out of our price range.
Luke Norris with a good pre season will do well for us but that's if we play to his strengths and not leave him isolated too ofter.
The midfield without Walker is a big concern, Merrie Lewis and McAlear are not good enough and need moving on.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
The midfield without Walker is a big concern, Merrie Lewis and McAlear are not good enough and need moving on.
Agreed but what do you do with Walker who cannot in most cases last 90 minutes and only a few games at a time?

Reactions: Boz

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Re Apter he’ll have plenty of teams after him if Blackpool are willing to sell. Not least any of Stockport, Wrexham or Mansfield whether they go up or not.
Our only hope is if we can get lots of the deadwood off the wage bill and go for quality over quantity, some of the wages saved could go on making Apter our highest earner. Although wouldn’t surprise if me some of the local ish league one clubs coming down could offer him money e.g Carlisle, Fleetwood or Port Vale.

I can’t see it though but would love to be wrong. As ADD says young Robbie could be a bit jaded but still got an assist yesterday

Last edited:
For me the glaring deficiency in the squad - both last season and this season - that needs to be addressed in the summer is a lack of steel. Steel in terms of leadership and steel in terms of ‘never say die‘. We have plenty of good players who wouldn’t be out of place in a promotion chasing side but we don't have enough steel to underpin them. Add a Peter Clarke and a Jay Spearing type (..preferably slightly younger versions!) to this squad and we’d be formidable on a much more consistent basis than we are right now. And, since we’ve already shown we can beat the best, consistency is the key.

As for Apter, if Blackpool are still in L1 next season I reckon he’ll get a game there; if they go up they might loan him to L1. L1 is his next logical progression, so I can’t see it makes any sense to either Blackpool or the player to have another stint in L2 next season.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
For me the glaring deficiency in the squad - both last season and this season - that needs to be addressed in the summer is a lack of steel. Steel in terms of leadership and steel in terms of ‘never say die‘. We have plenty of good players who wouldn’t be out of place in a promotion chasing side but we don't have enough steel to underpin them. Add a Peter Clarke and a Jay Spearing type (..preferably slightly younger versions!) to this squad and we’d be formidable on a much more consistent basis than we are right now. And, since we’ve already shown we can beat the best, consistency is the key.

As for Apter, if Blackpool are still in L1 next season I reckon he’ll get a game there; if they go up they might loan him to L1. L1 is his next logical progression, so I can’t see it makes any sense to either Blackpool or the player to have another stint in L2 next season.
The chances of Blackpool going up are negligible, still odd how they didn't want him on the bench?

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Maybe they wanted him playing games on a regular basis. It's been a great experience for him, much better than warming a bench for a season. His value will also have increased if they do decide to sell him.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The chances of Blackpool going up are negligible, still odd how they didn't want him on the bench?
One reason is they play a 3-4-3 with wingbacks and don’t see him in that system although he could maybe play in the front 3. Unlikely they’ll go up given their points tally from the playoffs.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre

Agree about more steel needed. We do miss a Jay Harris or a Spearing. I don’t think none of Hendry, Walker Davies or Turnbull are the types of players who would strike fear in the opponent. They have their own strengths of course and maybe I’m old fashioned but I do like someone giving out a rollicking every now and then

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Although maybe that’s just a sign of the times with less Peter Clarkes or Steve Mcnultys around these days

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Agree about more steel needed. We do miss a Jay Harris or a Spearing. I don’t think none of Hendry, Walker Davies or Turnbull are the types of players who would strike fear in the opponent. They have their own strengths of course and maybe I’m old fashioned but I do like someone giving out a rollicking every now and then
While he's not a leader, don't think I'd pick a fight with Jordan Turnbull!

Rollickings are most effective if they come from players who'll stick their hand up and accept blame for their own mistakes.