• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Tranmere (1) v Colchester (1)

Match result

• Tranmere

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Colchester

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tranmere (1) v Colchester (1)
Posted by Ian
Prenton Park
Monday, April 1, 2024 - 03:00 PM
Until: Monday, April 1, 2024 - 05:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Decent game. Two good goals but we really should be ahead after a couple of good chances. L. Norris not doing enough for me.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
FGR and Sutton incredibly are both winning, putting Colchester in the bottom two as it stands. They will be desperate to win and overtake Grimsby into 21st place. Second half could be interesting if the Us start to attack more.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
James Norris more confident going forward at left-back than either of the stand-ins, but we’ve had enough chances to be ahead yet McGee saved us with that triple save at the end of the half.

On Luke Norris, he looks a little jaded and when he was down for a few minutes near the end wondered if he’d picked up an injury.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Colchester getting on top here, time for Adkins to look at changes?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Feels like we’re the away team this half

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
1-1 probably a fair result. Rovers had the better chances but conceded a lot of ground. McAlear should have gone for goal with that second half free-kick instead a hash of a training ground move led to a Colchester attack.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A lacklustre second half display, after a very promising first half where we were the better side and should have been comfortably ahead.

In the first twenty minutes our football was very good and we created a number of opportunities. We moved the ball quickly and accurately and kept Colchester penned in. There was a freakish element to the equalising goal, which came from the opposition's first foray into our half, and we could not quite maintain the tempo of the opening stages, with Colchester content to sit deep and soak up pressure with their five at the back. However, we continued to create chances and deserved to be ahead at half time.

The second half was very disappointing. We did not play with any fluency or cohesion and McGee was probably the busier of the two keepers, making two or three really good saves. Colchester were more adventurous in the second period, possibly influenced by the FGR and Sutton scores, and I don't think we ever really regained control of midfield.

I thought we badly missed Walker again today, and while James Norris is tidy on the ball he is not strong enough defensively and you will never convince me he is a full back. It was his weak header that led to the equaliser, albeit we should have also done more to close down the shot. I agreed with the sponsor's choice of Kieron Morris as man of the match, several decent efforts in addition to the goal, although it should be noted that Apter's end product was much better in the first half than it has been recently.

Fortunately there are only four more of these to sit through.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
After an encouraging first half the game just fizzled out and felt like an end of season affair.

We started well and got the early goal. Nice to see Apter not over complicate things and just put it in the danger area where Morris couldn’t miss. To concede straight after was disappointing although their lad hit it well.
We had a number of other decent half chances but didn’t take them.

Second half it felt like we’d just took our foot off the gas. The subs were fairly ineffective and their keeepr was barely troubled.

As with the Bradford game I thought Luke Norris contributed very little. Connor was more lively and should have done better with a couple of half chances first half. Once again though I’m thinking should we be trying something else up top? Connor hasn’t scored for ages and must be tiring although his overall play is good.
Agree with RLC about James Norris. Technically he is decent but far too lightweight for the rigours and physicality of league two. I think he could be a decent player but only if played further forward. Mcalear flattered to deceive.

What is clear is that Nigel had made up his mind about players like Merrie and Dennis. Amazing to think the latter scored 20 league goals last season and has been fit for ages, but we’ve not got the best out of him or given him a run of games. Nigel also mustn’t rate Merrie as a CM so he’ll be on his way I’m sure and although Dennis is still under contract, on a decent wage I suspect we’ll try and offload him. Agreed with MOM choice of Morris although he didn’t have much competition. Thinking ahead of next season Kieron onced again showed he’s more comfortable on the left and with 10 league goals for the season I hope Nigel doesn’t put him on the right when apter goes. Also we badly need midfield reinforcements. We sadly can’t reply on Walker and none of Lewis, Merrie or McAlear are good enough and CJ isn’t a centre mid.

Roll on the summer

Player
Manager
John King
we badly need midfield reinforcements. We can’t reply on Walker and none of Lewis, Merrie or McAlear are good enough and CJ isn’t a centre mid.
Completely agree. We need major improvements in midfield if we are going to challenge next season.

I don't think Norris (Luke) can be judged until he has had a full pre-season, but the club may think we can't take a risk on an ageing striker who has had a couple of fairly serious recent injuries.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
“It's that stage of the season where people might question the mentality of the players, they certainly had a right go today"

Did Nigel leave at half time!?!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
While James Norris was at fault for the Colchester equaliser and I wouldn't want to sign him permanently, it did feel like an improvement with him featuring on the left side. Until Connor Wood is fit again, preferable we use him at left-back, unless Mikey Davies is going to be given a game.

Luke Norris is a hard call to make. He's reported to be one of the highest paid players at the club but after the great goal and performance at Wrexham seems to have gone quiet. Not fully fit yet so hard to judge.

Jennings Hendry and O'Connor all looked fairly jaded today and don't understand Nigel's reluctance to never substitute the first two.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
While James Norris was at fault for the Colchester equaliser and I wouldn't want to sign him permanently, it did feel like an improvement with him featuring on the left side. Until Connor Wood is fit again, preferable we use him at left-back, unless Mikey Davies is going to be given a game.

Luke Norris is a hard call to make. He's reported to be one of the highest paid players at the club but after the great goal and performance at Wrexham seems to have gone quiet. Not fully fit yet so hard to judge.

Jennings Hendry and O'Connor all looked fairly jaded today and don't understand Nigel's reluctance to never substitute the first two.
I agree Boz. We know what Connor brings and he’ll be important for next season. But where is the harm in starting Sam Taylor up front alongside a target man. He’s the future after all. Everyone loves Jennings and rightly so but he doesn’t have to play every minute of every game

Reactions: Boz
Player
Manager
John King
Interesting that in Nigel's post match interview he said we 'would like to have Apter here next season', but that would be dependent on the 'decisions of others'.

It sounds like we are making serious attempts to retain him.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
I think that some know their fate at the end of the season.
Once again the difference between the two teams was negligible.
And it's right to pick the job that Nigel has done but without those important points around December, new year.
It would have be different story.
We are stuttering to the end of the season and the end of the season can't come quickly enough for me.
Once again we couldn't best a bottom team at home!
They were there for the taking, they were poor.
And we couldn't and on that second half performance, lucky not to get beat.
And those who are automatic choices are knackered, a long hard season for them and it's not over yet.
And I might upset a few by adding.
It's not good enough for a Tranmere Rovers team.

Some vast improvement needed for next season.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Interesting that in Nigel's post match interview he said we 'would like to have Apter here next season', but that would be dependent on the 'decisions of others'.

Yes I thought exactly the same. Perhaps some of Apters recent performances (relatively speaking), have meant Blackpool don’t fancy him whether they go up or not. In which case him signing a new contract may purely be to get a decent fee for him. If so whilst other clubs could pay more we must have a chance of him wanting to join us

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
They would be daft to not try at least. He is one of the bright sparks that have come from this mediocre season.

Player
Aldo
I think that some know their fate at the end of the season.
Once again the difference between the two teams was negligible.
And it's right to pick the job that Nigel has done but without those important points around December, new year.
It would have be different story.
We are stuttering to the end of the season and the end of the season can't come quickly enough for me.
Once again we couldn't best a bottom team at home!
They were there for the taking, they were poor.
And we couldn't and on that second half performance, lucky not to get beat.
And those who are automatic choices are knackered, a long hard season for them and it's not over yet.
And I might upset a few by adding.
It's not good enough for a Tranmere Rovers team.

Some vast improvement needed for next season.
not the kind of performance that will have fans queuing up for Wallsall on Saturday