• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

Tranmere 0 - 0 Saddlers

smilingmart

Deserved all 3 points - really played well I thought apart from Linwood...

... the way he passed the ball straight to their striker 2 minutes before stoppage time and nearly gifted them a goal shows he aint good enough. It was with his 'good' foot too.

A good point but we're in the relegation zone tonight. :cry:

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Didn't go today, won't see any of the next 3 either. Reading mart's comment above, hopefully next time BL will bring on Carl Tremarco in this situation, the lad's played pretty well when given the opportunity lately & it must seem a slap in the face when Linwood's put on ahead of you out of position.

evo_trfc

reading the match report it says we played well i was not there today as i was watching bottom of the league swindon as my dad supports them. They ( swindon) played 4th place colchester off the park and thouuroghly deserved the win this shows how shit the leaague is and also shows how teams below us are playing and beating better teams. Swindon changed their manager and even though they are still bottom they are unbeaten in 5 games

Tranmere should follow this and sack little and get victories so we will still be playing league 1 footie next year

Anyone who went can you say how well wilson played today?

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
good day out. great laugh great performance.

should really have won, not saying the goal wasnt offside but we had lots of chances. wilson played great hes redeemed himself. frnacis flew in with some great tackles how he never broke a player's legs Ill never know, ranks put his heart and soul in to the match. jacko was poor goodison was abysmal and he got replaced by linwood who played well.

overall, great support loads singing and got very tense but a good poiunt and looking forward to yeovil, playliek we did v walsall we should have yeovil no probs.

smilingmart

evo_trfc said:
Anyone who went can you say how well wilson played today?

Wilson saved us from an undeserved defeat a couple of times towards the end. A good display.

Joe Murphy got some stuck from some merciless bastard near me...

...dead funny though :wink:

M

Matthew The Rover

Walsall 0-0 Tranmere

Tranmere made a decent start to the festive period with a 0-0 draw down in Birmingham at the Bescott Stadium against Walsall.

Walsall hadn't lost at the Bescott since September before Kick-off, and had won their last three games there, scoring six and conceeding just one, so Rovers have to be happy with a draw.

Rovers made a couple of changes from the Penalty-Shoot out defeat to Carlisle six days ago. Simon Francis returned after being cup-tied, replacing Paul Linwood whilst Chris Greenacre returned from injury atlast to replace Steve Davies in the starting XI.

As for the opposition, they lined up with former Rovers legend Joe Murphy in goal, the only person to have Kept goal for Rovers in a major cup final, and former Rovers midfielder Simon Osbourne also started for the Saddlers.

Rovers fans were also suprised by the sudden change of formation by Brian Little. Little, who has been obsessed with a 4-4-2 formation so far this season suddenly changed to 3-5-2, and the change worked....sort of.

Rovers, to be honest, were no better than average in the first half. Walsall were the first to apply pressure.

After Simon Francis stood on the ball, Walsall's leading scorer Matty Fryatt struck over into the travelling Tranmere fans.

Gareth Roberts had a number of chances for Rovers. A shot set up by Harrison went wide of Murphys post, whilst a free-kick was struck well over by the Welsh international and a shot from the left wing was saved well by Murphy just underneath his cross bar.

On numerous occasions, Tranmere's defence failed to clear the ball. Miss-kicks were as frequent as missed tackles. Ian Goodison in particular favoured air kicks and sliced scissor kicks to clearing the ball long down field, whilst Mike Jackson continued to make poor errors at the back.

However, at half time, it was 0-0. A result Brian Little should and probably would have been pleased with, as the fans were happy.

There was one half time change for Rovers, as Ian Goodison limped down the tunnel with another leg injury, to be replaced by Paul Linwood. Rovers therefore started the second half still playing 3-5-2, with Linwood, Jackson and Sharps at the back.

It was Tranmere who started the second half the better. Shooting towards their away supporters, the players gave it their all and had numerous chances to bag Rovers three points.

It was Tranmere who had the first chance of the half. Delroy Facey shooting wide from a flick on by leading scorer Chris Greenacre.

Facey continued his lively antics which had caused Walsall so much trouble in the first half, with only a last chance challange from Julian Bennett in the area stopping the powerhouse centre forward from troubling the shakey Joe Murphy.

The tackle should have resulted in the striker getting a penalty a Bennett got nowhere near the ball and clearly took the inform strikers legs. However, only a goalkick was given and the challange was Faceys last action in the game. He limped down the tunnel and was replaced by 17-year old striker Steven Davies.

On 67 minutes, Chris Greenacre shot just past the post after a flick on from Midfielder Steven Jennings.

Five minutes later, Rovers thought they had taken the lead. A brilliant curling effort from Mark Rankine, 20 yards from goal, was saved well but then spilled by Joe Murphy, diving to his left. Steven Davies popped up and netted the celebrations but the Assistant referee haulted his celebrations.

I haven't as yet seen the replay of the goal, but I don't think it was offside, as Walsall had a defender on the goal-line when the shot came in. But as I say, I haven't yet seen a replay.

On 77 minutes, Joe Murphy was called into action again by Steve Davies. Davies from the edge of the area shot after shrugging off two defenders but this time Murphy saved well and held on to the shot.

Murphy was taunted all game by Rovers followers. Chants such as "Who ate all the pies", "You cost us at Wembley", "Joe ate all the pies" and "Greedy Irish *******" were shouted at the former Rovers favourite, who had a mixed game. Some good saves came inbetween poor kicking and some dodgy saves.

It was Murphys opposite number who was the hero of the hour though. Steve Wilson, who has had a horrible start to his Tranmere career made three saves to remember which kept Rovers in the game.

One of those saves is quite possibly the best I have ever seen. From one yard out, Fryatt had a header which was saved at point blank range by Wilson who easily had his best game for Tranmere.

Tranmere had other chances, with a Steve Davies shot deflected wide and then Mike Jackson headed over from the resulting corner as Rovers searched for that first league win in a month.

However, niether side could break the deadlock as the game finished in an unlikely 0-0 draw. Before kick off, a 0-0 draw was 8/1, whilst the more likely 1-1 was 11/2.

To be fair, Tranmere probably should have won the game but for heroics by Steve Wilson, Walsall could have grabbed an undeserved victory. But a draw is a draw, and Tranmere maintain their reasonlably good away record.

Jones' Man Of The Match: There are three contenders. Steve Wilson, who was outstanding, Mark Rankine and Simon Francis.

Mark Rankine was once again the engine room of the midfield, charging from 18-yard box to 18-yard box through-out the 90 minutes. Some good shots and crosses also aided Rovers cause.

Simon Francis too was brilliant. Excellent defensively, whilst he put some brilliant crosses into the box and went on some fantastic mazey runs down the right-wing. The boy must be signed up!

However, today's Man Of The Match is Steve Wilson. So little is expected of him by many after a poor two weeks for Rovers. However, today he showed his true colours. Saving with every part of his anatomy and undoubtably putting in his best performance for Rovers which saved them on a number of occasions. Well Done Steve!

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Matthew The Rover said:
Tranmere made a decent start to the festive period with a 0-0 draw down in Birmingham at the Bescott Stadium against Walsall.
Walsall isn't in Birmingham. It's in Walsall, surprisingly.

That's like saying Liverpool is in Manchester, or like saying Sunderland is in Newcastle. FOOL.

A

AndyRoo16

A draw at the Bescott was 1 point gained rather than 2 lost..... :)
Wilson managed to keep a clean sheet.... :)
with little help from the defence...
again why didnt Aiston start??? :?
Just hope we can maitain an unbeaten run through to the new year :) ...
Bring on Yeovil!!! :)

ps:NBDH get a life.....who cares :)

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Post match comments only please!! :roll:

Enjoyed the game today, especially the second half.
Worried how we were going to do today against a mid-table side. In fact, we played pretty well.

Walsall, were poor really. Their forward line is worse than ours! Well, it was today. Absolutely nothing there.

First half kinda fizzled out, but the game opened up a little more in the second half and we played some decent football. Decent moves using the ball on the floor, ended up in some neat chances. Gutted the goal was disallowed but looking at it, Davies did seem to be offside. Shame. Great first effort by Rankine as well, thought that was going to go way over the bar. Credit to him..

I thought with the possession we had, we were going to nick a goal even at the death, but unfortunately, our lack of goals is proving a problem. Walsall were there for the taking today, and a team with quality forwards would have taken their chances, but it's something we'll always stugle with this season, and that's putting the ball into the net.

Now failed to score in 270 minutes of football. Very weak.

However, most pleasing was the work rate and desire shown. They looked really good in patches, something I haven't seen for a while and escpecially lacking at the last home game.

Individually, most of the team played well.
However.....

Goodison was a joke. I've now decided that this guy is not a fooballer, but a clown. He's clumsy, dozey and lacks any kind of skill needed at this level. Gald he had to be replaced to be honest. Also, him and Wilson seem to talk different languages. Few dodgy mixups between them.

Wilson overall had a good game. Didn't have to work that hard, but pulled off some good saves towards the end of the game and generally cleaned up when needed.

Roberts was busy down the left, good game from him. Jackson and Sharps looked comfortable enough.

Rankine gave 110% again, his arse is definately getting bigger! :shock: Jennings was OK, as was Harrison. Not bad, not good..

Greenacre was quiet first half and came into it more in the second as did most players. Disappointed Facey had to go off through injury as he was enjoying some good runs and causing a few problems, but in all fairness, his replacement Davies had a good game also.

So... overall, pleased with the performance, disappointed not to have got all 3 pts. Now moved down to 21st, and 1 point isn't enough now. We need to be getting all 3 to get us out of this mess.

M

Matthew The Rover

NeverBeatDaveHiggins said:

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but you're always telling us not to name call and insult people. Hypacrite.

M

Matthew The Rover

To Rub Salt Into The Wound

Just seen Davies goal on the Championship and Davies appears not to be offside when Rankine hits the shot. However, a certain Steven Jennings does appear to be a yard or two offside but was not interfearing with play.

This is not certain though, as it's not a great camara angle.

DixieDean

That's like saying Liverpool is in Manchester, or like saying Sunderland is in Newcastle. FOOL.

Sorry for going off topic guys (Ian especially!) , but this has to be said....

Saying Walsall is in Bimingham is indeed incorrect, but at least they are in the same county, unlike Liverpool and Manchester. Also the four places you mentioned are Cities, whereas Walsall is a town. People often mistake towns as being part of the neighbouring City and I feel that a simple "by the way Walsall isn't in Birmingham" would have done the job, without making yourself look like a prat.

Some of the lads on here aren't as old and as "wise" :shock: as you and perhaps a different approach would actually make them think you are old and wise instead of old and bitter.

You recently (incorrectly) wrote that Brian is a Geordie. I didn't jump on your back and tell you how stupid you were.

I'm sure you know that Matthew is trying hard to write reviews. Perhaps it's a career path he wants to take, who knows. I'm sure he would appreciate little pointers here and there to educate and improve his work as opposed to taking a sledgehammer to the one bit you found to be incorrect.

Having a "moderator" with such a temperament is only going to dirve people away from this website. Which would be a huge shame.

Gray

Player
Ian Goodison... who else!
Matthew The Rover said:
Walsall isn't in Birmingham. It's in Walsall, surprisingly.

Very harsh NBDH :(

Speaking as a midlander, I would also say that Walsall is in Birmingham, in the same way as you could say Chelsea is in London or Tranmere is in Birkenhead. It's NOT AT ALL like saying Liverpool is in Manchester as these are both LARGE CITIES.

Birmingham is a large conurbation and Walsall is sufficiently small to say that it is IN Birmingham.

Normally, NeverBeat, I agree with you as you speak a lot of sense. Unfortunately I think on this occasion you have been very harsh on a poster who is obviously an ardent fan and who goes to a lot of trouble to provide detailed and reasonably well written match reports for the rest of us. In addition to being harsh, you are also, on this occasion, wrong!

You owe Matthew an apology :evil:

If your post was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, you should use appropriate smileys.

Also, apologies to Ian as I know you wouldn't want this thread to degenerate into a slanging match, but NBDH is well out of order on this one :(

Gray

Player
Matthew The Rover said:
Excuse me if I'm wrong knob head,

You're not wrong Matt, you are correct in saying Walsall is in Birmingham.

NBDH is out of order.

M

Matthew The Rover

Thanks Dixie and Gray.

Just for the record, a Sports Journalist is just what I want to be when I'm older. I'm sure making one geographical mistake can be tolerated. Only I spotted in the Blackpool program atleast five errors and according to the Scunthorpe program our nickname is "The Shakers". Whilst the Bradford program has our number 7 down as Andy Hessenthaler. Want me to write and complain?

NeverBeatDaveHiggins

Superwhite
Mods
Matthew The Rover said:
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but you're always telling us not to name call and insult people. Hypacrite.
Quite right, quite right. I apologise. My only excuse is a case of the winter blues not helped by the team I love being 1 point from rock bottom.

bolton_hater

White Review FC Manager
Player
Greenacre at the mo, all time is Aldo!
right anyway lets get back on topic, what did everyone think of jackos performace?

he admits his performaces havnt been upto scratch lately and yesterday he didnt play well at all, too many hit and hope balls he kept losing posession I hope he gets himself right for yeovil I have faith in him hes a great player I jus twant his confidence back up.

Gray

Player
Matthew The Rover said:
Quite right, quite right. I apologise. My only excuse is a case of the winter blues not helped by the team I love being 1 point from rock bottom.

That's that sorted then. Well it wouldn't be Christmas without a bit of aggro would it :?: :wink:

And if I'm playing Devil's advocate, Walsall has its own postcode (WS) rather than a Birmingham (B) postcode. So it might not be in Birmingham afterall. :oops: Close enough though.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
bolton_hater said:
right anyway lets get back on topic, what did everyone think of jackos performace?

he admits his performaces havnt been upto scratch lately and yesterday he didnt play well at all, too many hit and hope balls he kept losing posession I hope he gets himself right for yeovil I have faith in him hes a great player I jus twant his confidence back up.

I thought he played well TBH. He was quite vocal at the back and didn't make many mistakes I can think of. I think you're being a little harsh on him. Hit and hope balls were evident in many players yesterday, not just Jacko. Once they decided to play the ball on the floor, it was a much better performance. The first half was full of hit and hope balls. Greenacre never got a sniff until the 2nd half when we played it to feet.

Like I've said, overall, the defence was solid yesterday and felt much more assured with Linwood at the back in place of Goodison.

Does anyone else agree with my comments about Goodison? He was awful yesterday. Much worse than Jacko.

Player
Morrisey
I agree totally Iam about the fact that Tranmere are much better when they calm down and play the ball along the floor!! We have a fairly skillful side which is not the strongest in the air!!