• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I don’t think we should be buying for buying sake. Is he really going to improve on what we have now ?

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
I don’t think we should be buying for buying sake. Is he really going to improve on what we have now ?

He is more than a target man than Stockton so would be a useful addition if we signed him

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Bowman's goalscoring stats at Gateshead were reasonable and he may have more to his all round game than Stockton. I would be quite pleased if we signed him.

Player
Manager
John King
Apparently he has agreed to join Exeter
As I expected. This just emphasises once again the financial constraints that Mellon is working under, and what a good job he is doing for us with limited resources.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It was quite clear though again yesterday that we need a target man. A striker with an aerial threat. Nors wins more headers than Stockton so that’s a priority.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Exeter are in a stronger position to fund this through the sale of Stockley.

While we should be able to get a better forward in the air than Stockton, perhaps a priority ought to be defenders who don’t resort to hoof ball, which was used too frequently yesterday.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Stockton is pretty awful in the air. He's much better with the ball at his feet. For a big man, he has very little aerial ability and is too easily pushed off the ball.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I’ll be surprised if any defenders come in Boz. We’ve loads of them! The hoof ball approach seen at times must come from the manager albeit I guess certain defenders are limited to that being their only pass out.

A centre mid is needed, a winger plus a target man.

Player
Manager
John King
Exeter are in a stronger position to fund this through the sale of Stockley.

While we should be able to get a better forward in the air than Stockton, perhaps a priority ought to be defenders who don’t resort to hoof ball, which was used too frequently yesterday.
We don't need central defenders. Macca, Monthe and Buxton are all comfortable on the ball and we had no trouble passing out from the back earlier on in the season.

I think the absence of Banks is the major reason why our distribution was not great. In addition, Yeovil pressed McNulty a lot of the time, leaving Ellis and Sutton as the free centre backs, knowing that neither of them are comfortable on the ball.

Player
Manager
John King
A centre mid is needed, a winger plus a target man.
I agree completely. I think the centre of midfield is the most pressing area to be addressed, as we don't have anyone that can switch play or produce a defence-splitting pass when Banks is unavailable.

McCullough is a decent passer, but only over 10-15 yards; Harris just is not great on the ball; Gilmour is a kid and is inconsistent.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Shamal George has confirmed after Tuesdays game he’ll be returning to Liverpool so a sub keeper may be added to mickys shopping list unless Wharton is deemed good enough

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wouldn’t have felt any more confident in George standing in for Scott Davies than either of our own reserve keepers; he was that bad.

Micky doesn’t appear to rate Pilling and Wharton looked out of his depth in the Checkatrade game. Our new goalkeeping coach should cast an eye over them, but think we’ll need to bring someone else in.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Yeovil pressed McNulty a lot of the time, leaving Ellis and Sutton as the free centre backs, knowing that neither of them are comfortable on the ball.
Agree with this and their distribution is poor culminating in long aimless balls. Need Banks back in and need to get the ball on the floor were we are best.

drwhoman

Happy New Year everyone and let us hope for Rovers success in 2019! Will be interesting to see the squad changes in Jan. Williams gone? Gilmour and McCullough to stay ? No dud strikers please MM! Interesting that Adam Le Fondre the old Bolton striker is out here scoring a few goals in our A League which is probably L1/L2 standard.

Player
aldo
the cook rumours are still going around have heard mm now wants him back ?????? but im not sure it will happen in would . i love it to happen though

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
AM - I would give back all my kids Xmas presents if we could get cookie back!!! But can’t see it happening.

He has around 10 goals in all competitions which is a decent return as for several away games he’s been on the bench. If he carries on he could end up with 20 by the end of the season which is pretty good as he jumped from national league to league 1.

So even if he wanted to leave the saddlers I’m sure other league 1 teams would be after him.

ADD

Player
Norwood
AM - I would give back all my kids Xmas presents if we could get cookie back!!! But can’t see it happening.

He has around 10 goals in all competitions which is a decent return as for several away games he’s been on the bench. If he carries on he could end up with 20 by the end of the season which is pretty good as he jumped from national league to league 1.

So even if he wanted to leave the saddlers I’m sure other league 1 teams would be after him.
Completely agree and sorry but I just don't get all this nonsense. He left to play L1 football and got a 2 year contract. He has done ok/ well so far and is Walsall's leading scorer. Why on earth would Walsall want to release him on that basis and why on earth would he even consider a move himself. Makes no sense to me whatsoever... we really have to get away from always wanting our ex players back and focus on bringing in or better still developing players who can improve the squad.