• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad for 2018/19

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Probably the best deal Ben could have got. Hopefully he'll be a part of their promotion fight, if only for a month. It's probably now or never for him.

BTW, did anyone else have a double-take when seeing the caption on the TRFC home page? The player above the caption is Franklyn Akammadu, who looks nothing like Ben Tollitt. ;)

Last edited:
Player
aldo
Really hope he does what he did for us and comes back revitalised confident and raring to get his career back on track. Look at Connor his loan a few years back did him the world of good . Gonna follow him there with interest

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Hope that it works out for Ben. Slightly different to Connor Jennings, who just required game time to get into the groove, it is important for Ben to re-build his confidence.

Player
aldo
4 or five games back to back will do him the world of good . Some times a change can be said good as a rest. Getting away from pp for a few weeks will be good for him

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
A good move for Ben, I hope it goes well for him.

Regarding Norwood, after Palios's interview this week, I think we would only sell him if he was allowed to stay on loan with us until the end of the season. Or if we were offered 500,000 or more for him, which is possible but unlikely.

In terms of the squad, I would say the centre of midfield is the most urgent area where we need to strengthen.

Some people above have said we are ok defensively, but I think our away record suggests that is not the case. We have a lot of bodies in the full back areas, but I think we are weak in those positions: Zoum has been very poor since his injury; Caprice is very good as an attacking wing back but is vulnerable defensively; and while Buxton is a good footballer, I think he is also vulnerable at this level when he comes up against pace. He was absolutely skinned by Andrade earlier in the season and has had a few difficult games since then as well. Although he is not popular with all of our supporters, I would say Ridehalgh is our most reliable full back at the moment.

Elsewhere, we need a target man who is an improvement on Stockton, and another genuine wide player.

Player
Mungy's Hairdresser
Ben has still got all of the tools of the trade, it was crying out for a loan move but I suspect we were waiting for the right opportunity to present itself which this probably is. That carefulness suggests he’s very much in our future plans which I wholeheartedly agree with. I feel this has the same vibe as the CJ loan to Macc.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
In an ideal world, we would recognise that as McNulty appears the only central defender capable of organising a defence and he isn’t going on forever, perhaps another central defender with organisational skills should be on the shopping list.

I think Buxton, for all his failings is probably a better defender than Ridehalgh, who doesn’t always show enough resilience in defending.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
In an ideal world, we would recognise that as McNulty appears the only central defender capable of organising a defence and he isn’t going on forever, perhaps another central defender with organisational skills should be on the shopping list.

I think Buxton, for all his failings is probably a better defender than Ridehalgh, who doesn’t always show enough resilience in defending.

Re Buxton, I think he is probably more suited to playing in a back 3 at this level. His lack of pace is a problem playing right back in a back 4 plus Adam does have his fair share of injuries too. He’s a big unit and whilst he has good delivery, you do wonder why he’s never really played more than 20-25 games in a season during his career.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
With only a few days to go before the transfer window opens, has anyone heard any rumours? All I've heard is that McCullough might be staying and we are likely to hold on to Nors.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
McCullough is staying as I understand it. Same with Nors but if a daft bid came in surely Palios would consider it - especially if James wanted to go.

Otherwise Micky will strengthen but I’m not aware of any actual names.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Getting nervous, Ian? ;)
No, although I’m actually pleased Stockton scored today. After talking to a few people at the club today the abuse he’s been getting from some supporters is out of order and seems to have affected him.

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Yeah Nors and Cookie used to go to training together and Cole does the same with james.

Nice to see Aaron creswell captaining West Ham tonight

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
seems cole & nors are great friends off the pitch
From what I hear, they linked up well yesterday, and of course they both scored. I've a feeling they will be MM's number one strike force for the rest of the season, provided Cole keeps scoring.

Going back to Ian's offer of pints all round if Cole scores ten this season, I would bet that if he does then TRFC will be in the play-offs - at least.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
From what I hear, they linked up well yesterday, and of course they both scored. I've a feeling they will be MM's number one strike force for the rest of the season, provided Cole keeps scoring.

Going back to Ian's offer of pints all round if Cole scores ten this season, I would bet that if he does then TRFC will be in the play-offs - at least.

Would seem a bit unfair on Mullin, whose strike rate is better and Norwood may not be around if an irresistible offer comes in.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Would seem a bit unfair on Mullin, whose strike rate is better and Norwood may not be around if an irresistible offer comes in.
Yes, I agree. Stockton does a decent job for us, but Mullin is a better player and will still have a big part to play in the season. We are not going to use the current formation in every game.

When Banks is fit, I am sure we will revert to the 4411 with Cole behind Norwood at some stage.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It will be interesting to see. At least Micky now has options. I don't expect any of our strikers to feature in every game. Even Nors is likely to miss one or two through injury or suspension.