• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
Like wise i would not be surprised if he played next week for Blackpool and played well and we did not see him again

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I’ll believe it if and when the deal is complete. I suspect it is a wind up, but you never know. If he truly wants to stay and we can raise the cash, then I would be made up. He could transform our season. In the fullness of time, he may develop further and move on for a tidy profit.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
I really can't see Blackpool selling but I think extended the loan would be the best we can get. He's hot property at the moment.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
I really can't see Blackpool selling but I think extended the loan would be the best we can get. He's hot property at the moment.
The same twitter poster now says a permanent deal is off as Blackpool wanted too much, but they are willing to let us keep him on loan.

Who knows what’s true. Just got to play the waiting game

The same twitter poster now says a permanent deal is off as Blackpool wanted too much, but they are willing to let us keep him on loan.
A self-proclaimed “new upcoming reporter” with a whopping 41 followers changes his “story” within 24 hours! :D
Still, he’s now covered two of the three possible bases so far..

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Scrap any of the above. Apters gone back to Blackpool :-(

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A real shame. He was involved in 3 of the 4 goals yesterday and one of the two at Harrogate. We’re not a one man team and whilst it’s not a shock he’s gone back, it’s a real blow

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
That's not good news at all but hopefully Adkins can pull something out the magic hat this month.

?
I thought it was common knowledge Apter’s loan ended today.
Blackpool now have a few weeks in which to decide what to do with him for the rest of the season. They’ll know we’re a solution if they want to loan (or even sell!) this month.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
?
I thought it was common knowledge Apter’s loan ended today.
Blackpool now have a few weeks in which to decide what to do with him for the rest of the season. They’ll know we’re a solution if they want to loan (or even sell!) this month.
Yes the positive in me was thinking perhaps they are seeing how their own signings go before they let him rejoin us. Fingers crossed although we’ll need to prepare for life without him

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
As I see it, our upturn in form is due to a number of factors:
1. Competent, experienced management.
2. Better team formation and organisation.
3. Restored morale and team spirit.
4. Greater attacking potency.

Now Apter has gone, we may lose a bit of factor 4, but the rest should not be affected much. How much our attacking potency would be affected, we won't know for a while. There is also factor 5 to come - the January transfer window. A new signing or loanee, or even Apter’s return on loan.

Personally, I think Rob was a factor in our change of fortune, but only part of it. I still expect us to thrive without him. Let’s wait and see.

I would add another factor to the recent run, namely a relatively gentle run of fixtures.

That’s not to diminish in any way the other factors you’ve mentioned, nor the impressiveness of the turnaround Adkins has overseen. But, just as the squad was never relegation material in my book, tougher tests lie ahead and I think we need to strengthen two or three areas before we can be considered the real deal.

I’m certainly not ruling us out, even of a promotion push, just not getting too carried away. Yet..

Last edited:

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
A lot of crystal ball glazing by us all. Who knows what will happen. From memory Hawkes was recalled before we signed him permanently. As I said yesterday Blackpool would have been crazy not to recall him and see if he can aid their own promotion push.

It’s no shock he’s gone back so the club will have a list of replacement right wingers. It’s an opportunity for Hawkes of course but he prefers the left, however we can’t move an in form Morris from that side. So Josh needs to knuckle down and see it as an opportunity for him to get back in the side. He’s a very different type of winger though but can bring goals to the side

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
It is a bland statement by Blackpool that says very little. Critchley seems quite wedded to his 352 formation, much to the chagrin of a lot of the Blackpool supporters, so it is debatable whether he would ditch that system solely to accommodate Apter. Time will tell.

Regarding our recent form, I would not say the fixtures have been particularly kind. In the last ten matches we have drawn at Mansfield, beaten arguably the best footballing side in the division and won at a Harrogate side that have otherwise been in strong form. Our only defeat was against a Walsall side that in the last few weeks have despatched Notts and Wrexham and put six past Grimsby.

Saturday will be a test, but I think we are in the shape to take on pretty much anybody at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.