• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
I went to Macclesfield tonight.

It was an entertaining if strange game. We dominated for long periods and really should have won comfortably. Jolley and Saunders carried on where they left off at Mansfield last week and caused problems with their movement and energy all night. However, we were atrocious defensively with all four goals resulting from individual errors: Leake for the first, Belehouan / Robson for the second and Davies for the third and fourth.

I think it was significant that at two down in a pretty meaningless fixture, we showed the character to respond. There were decent performances from a number of the fringe players, including Norris, McAlear and Leake in the attacking areas. However, Belehouan does not look anywhere near good enough and I would not want to see that back five in a league game.

It seems Dennis must be fit and available for Saturday, and it is interesting that despite the strong performances from Saunders and Jolley last week, Adkins is going to revert to Jennings and Dennis at the weekend.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Thanks for the report RLC and fair play to you for going to Macclesfield on a cold Tuesday night in the Cheshire Cup.

The backup defence does sound a concern and I’m still not overly impressed with leake. Hopefully Wood is fit for Saturday. The front two is interesting as Saunders in two games has a goal and an assist and they’ve given Nigel something to think about, however as you say I’d expect Jennings and Dennis to come back in if both available. Assume Yarney will start on Saturday too.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thanks for the report RLC and like Sparky am impressed with your attendance! Disappointing to lose to a side at Macc’s level even with a mish-mash of a side. Shame too for Mikey Davies if at fault for both of the two late goals, after he did ok v Wigan.

Who was playing at right-back? Neither Pike nor Yarney on the bench, would be a concern given what you say about Belehouan if Josef unavailable for the weekend. The Jennings/Dennis combo up front makes sense for the home games at present, but for away fixtures need the pace up front to break like at Mansfield.

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
Norris played at right back Boz. He was good on the ball and good going forward, but we did not defend well as a unit all evening. He was probably the best of the back four though.

Reactions: Boz

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Mikey Davies loaned out to FC United in the Northern Premier League for a month. Good for him to get some playing time, though our loanees don’t always get that much action during their stints on loan.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
With no chance of breaking into the first team squad, barring a horrendous list of injuries and suspensions, he needs to get some match action.
Mikey Davies loaned out to FC United in the Northern Premier League for a month. Good for him to get some playing time, though our loanees don’t always get that much action during their stints on loan.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
With no chance of breaking into the first team squad, barring a horrendous list of injuries and suspensions, he needs to get some match action.
BBTC, I agree. What my initial post was trying to highlight is that going by the experiences of Hockenhull and Rhys Hughes, even at clubs lower down the pyramid, there’s no guarantee of them getting that match action. Sometimes it may be down to ability, others may be down to circumstances or approach of the loaning club. I’ve no idea of the situation at FC United or Mikey’s chances of seeing much action during his loan spell there.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
McGee signs a 1 year extension. Great news
I agree. He has his detractors on this forum - and I was surprised we signed a player who was dropped to make way for Ross Doohan - but his confidence has returned and given us some stability in defence that we have lacked since Scott Davies was injured.

Player
Ian Goodison
Manager
Johnny King
I agree. He has his detractors on this forum - and I was surprised we signed a player who was dropped to make way for Ross Doohan - but his confidence has returned and given us some stability in defence that we have lacked since Scott Davies was injured.
Think it’s only one detractor bbtc.
Not much better at this level, good bit of business.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Rhys Hughes loan spell at Curzon Ashton extended for another month.

It's clearly not going to happen for him at Rovers. Not getting that much action at Curzon either, 15-20 minutes off the bench.

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Agreed Boz. I thought he'd make a good squad player but not getting much playtime at Curzon doesn't bode well.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Nigel confirms in his programme notes that Leake has done the hamstring in his other leg and faces another spell out

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Some talk of Connor Wood wanting a move back down south. Don’t know how accurate but we could end up needing another left back.

Status
Not open for further replies.