• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Palio’s has said in recent interviews that we’ll make some January additions. If Norris has had a relapse then we badly need to bring in another target man.
We shouldn’t be so reliant on one player anyway and although good strikers don’t come cheap, if we’re still in a relegation fight come January then mark will have to get his chequebook out
Jamille Matt is a bench at best now, his lure to Walsall an ex-manager now long gone. But only Palios survives from when we wanted him. Forget about his current stats, a great big wardrobe up front might just be what Dennis and our wide men need.
Interesting yesterday unlike Jennings, Dennis actually played off both of Norris's shoulders and lined up alongside him not behind him. Not sure we need a Ronnie Moore heroic type just someone to fulfil a basic role.
Young Delap caught my eye a while back but he scored in the Championship yesterday. Otherwise I am bereft of ideas. I've now belatedly concluded Mellon saw the swashbuckling Nevitt in this role, remember he played alone up top, then they discovered the need for a diet and we got another lightweight.
Can't help feeling Deeney is still a far better player than yesterday's anonymous performance suggested, that's what dysfunctional sides can do to forwards!

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Palio’s has said in recent interviews that we’ll make some January additions. If Norris has had a relapse then we badly need to bring in another target man.
We shouldn’t be so reliant on one player anyway and although good strikers don’t come cheap, if we’re still in a relegation fight come January then mark will have to get his chequebook out
I wonder if we'll see any departures from those on the last 6 months of their contract; thinking Hawkes and O'Connor, who we might be able to pick up a fee for. Personally think we're better off keeping O'Connor, but Hawkes not getting much game time (is he injured at present?) and a move might be better for the club and player
We have 9 league games between now and being able to sign players in the January window so we need to keep picking up points to keep in touching distance of as many teams as we can.

Norris probably will be out several months again but we may well have to go down the route of a young inexperienced target man. Hopefully we can extend the loan for Apter for the rest of the season and do some further wheeling and dealing.
If say a Barrow or Crewe came in for Apter, you'd fear that Blackpool might be tempted to loan him out to a side battling out at the top end of the table as more beneficial to his development. Hope not as he offers something different and some much needed pace.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
We’re only in mid November but at half time yesterday I was thinking about two of our most influential players (McGee and Norris), are only on one year deals.
If we went down, or even finished in the bottom quarter it is highly likely they’ll have other options and leave on a free albeit Norris injury issues wont help him if the latest is a serious one.

Norris came on the pitch yesterday before kick off with his youngest child which may mean he wants to stay settled up here and I know McGee was house hunting. No way we’ll offer any deals anytime soon (plus Norris is a risk), but I would hate to lose the pair of them for nothing in June

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Boz, Hawkes has an injury but not sure what it is.

Reactions: Boz

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
How do so many get injured outside matches?
Can't see anyone rushing to buy either named, they may well get better contract offers next summer. I doubt either one year men will be high on anyone's shopping list, again they may get a bit more money and critically in a more suitable location for them. The same way we attract good but ageing scousers wanting to get back home.

PS Anyone else pick up on Maddox, another whizz kid we were so lucky to get on loan, only gets a game in an injury crisis now. The game is becoming a joke, they said he was the oldest in the midfield but had played far fewer matches, so would be stars are developed in such bizarre circumstances they end up barely in the EFL basement.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
How do so many get injured outside matches?
Can't see anyone rushing to buy either named, they may well get better contract offers next summer. I doubt either one year men will be high on anyone's shopping list, again they may get a bit more money and critically in a more suitable location for them. The same way we attract good but ageing scousers wanting to get back home.

PS Anyone else pick up on Maddox, another whizz kid we were so lucky to get on loan, only gets a game in an injury crisis now. The game is becoming a joke, they said he was the oldest in the midfield but had played far fewer matches, so would be stars are developed in such bizarre circumstances they end up barely in the EFL basement.
Yes as I said it’s early days on any players out of contract next summer but something I’m sure the club are aware of

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
I don’t expect us to be much further up the league by January as we are so far adrift. However, if we can strengthen the squad in the next transfer window, as usually happens, I expect us to finish mid table as last year.

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
Re-Apter, although Blackpool are going well, realistically they need to have four wide players ahead of him to keep him out on loan. I fear the worst

ADD

Player
Norwood
Re-Apter, although Blackpool are going well, realistically they need to have four wide players ahead of him to keep him out on loan. I fear the worst
Sadly I agree. I was surprised they let him get cup tied but I suppose their focus is more on the League where they clearly have high hopes of the playoffs.
Looks good enough to play L1 in my opinion now he is getting regular starts.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Rhys Hughes joins Curzon Ashton on a months loan. A shame that he couldn’t join a national league side instead of national league north although curzon are having a decent season and sit 7th

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Thought Rhys had a better game than McAlear v Wigan, but didn’t earn a mention from Adkins who doesn’t seem to rate him at all.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
Thought Rhys had a better game than McAlear v Wigan, but didn’t earn a mention from Adkins who doesn’t seem to rate him at all.
Like Hockenhull not upto this level and another poor signing

Player
Jason Koumas / John Morrissey
Manager
John King
In truth, there are about ten players in the squad who are not good enough.

So despite all of the talk in pre-season about wasting 30% of the wage budget in previous seasons and how that has to be avoided in future, we have done exactly the same again.

Saw these figures recently, remarkable in themselves but which also give a sobering indication of the tide we’re swimming into in trying to make a success out of becoming what MP describes as ‘a finishing school’ for young talent that’s come through the PL academies. (Haven’t seen equivalent figures for cat 2 academies, mind).

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
I wouldn’t put Hughes in the same bracket as Hockenhull he played a few games last season and showed some promise. Hasn’t kicked on this season, though given little opportunity. The kind of player it was worth taking a punt on, even if doesn’t seem to have worked out.

Very important to tie him down and, since I expect other clubs would’ve been keeping an eye on him, very good to do so before January, and very encouraging that the player himself said it was a no-brainer.

drwhoman

Sadly I think that one reason why many Academy players fail is that they are cosseted and struggle when they have to compete in the real world against players who might not be as technically gifted at an early age but who have learnt what it takes to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.