• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

The Squad 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
It is odd but surely after Saturday we’re keeping Pike, he played well. Unless of course us only giving him a month has meant he’s had other offers….

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
It is odd but surely after Saturday we’re keeping Pike, he played well. Unless of course us only giving him a month has meant he’s had other offers….
He can only go to the National League as he was under contract when the window closed.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Starbuck the right-back/midfielder has a couple of games FL experience with Grimsby, Belehouan the central defender/left-back hasn’t played a FL game yet. Doesn’t feel that either are ready for immediate first team action.

I agree with RLC about the scatter-gun approach to recent recruitment.

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
Do these signings suggest that Pike is not staying on ? If so, its a shame as he is the best of the full backs we have brought in this summer.

I am concerned that it seems a bit scatter gun. We already have several full backs on the books, so do we really need this number of additional bodies, and if so have we very quickly decided that the youngsters we brought in a few weeks ago are not good enough ?
I don't know if I mentioned it when the youngsters signed, that a league rule exists that we need home grown players in the matchday squad. Wether it's two or three (?). Murphy is one, but having one of the others is requisite.

Wether the new signings are first eleven or squad, we will shortly find out!
Squad numbers 43-46 (ha!)

Could we beat the record number of signings that happened the last time we were relegated? Something like 50!

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Interim manager Nigel Adkins said: “Having had a period of training with us, the players have been given short-term contracts to try and impress further and fight for a place for a team.”

What does that mean?

drwhoman

Interim manager Nigel Adkins said: “Having had a period of training with us, the players have been given short-term contracts to try and impress further and fight for a place for a team.”

What does that mean?
I imagine that Nigel sees them to have some potential, and the Club having invested some time and money in them already, does not want to see them going elsewhere while he evaluates them further. They are probably on pin money. Robson may well be seen as a potential back up goalkeeper. This all goes with the young development theme I suppose. Belehousan has NL experience with Halifax and Boston.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
It is difficult to see any of the three players signed today playing any significant part in our season. They are too inexperienced and so too much of a risk. I can only see them as having impressed in training and having some development potential. They may well have some future in the game, but perhaps not for a while. However, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

ONIGP

Player
Eddie Bishop
It is difficult to see any of the three players signed today playing any significant part in our season. They are too inexperienced and so too much of a risk. I can only see them as having impressed in training and having some development potential. They may well have some future in the game, but perhaps not for a while. However, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.
It makes you wonder how they will keep them match fit. We could end up with about half a dozen pros who don't make the matchday squad. I wonder if they'll train with Rovers and play on short term loans for local non-league outfits.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Back in the day when Rovers had a youth set up, we had youngsters coming through into the first team on a regular basis. Some faded away, some stayed with us for their whole careers, while some moved on to greater things.

Nowadays, most of these lads are hoovered up by EPL sides and the majority are let go at 20, 21 or 22 having never played a first team game. They often struggle to resurrect their career.

That’s why I’m so pleased for Sam Taylor. What would have happened if he had joined Liverpool or Man U at 16? He is now developing well in our match day squad and at this rate I can see him moving on to greater things in a couple of years, when he’ll still be in his early twenties.

Hopefully that’s a lesson some of our local lads will learn. If you are good enough, you’ll make it - but only if you get a chance.

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Dennis plays tonight, Albeit in a front 3 with Apter and Saunders.
Connor Wood and James Norris full backs.
Hockenhull and new lad at CB.
Merrie, O,Connor and Hughes - midfield.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Might it be O’Connor at right-back and Norris in midfield? Presume the last named sub is an academy player?

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Looking at the Twitter updates, Apter seems to be having a decent game.

Player
Alan King, Barry Dyson
Neither side started with anyone who played last Saturday. All bar Merrie and O'Connor played the full ninety minutes, which must have helped develop their match fitness. Any win with a clean sheet will build confidence. When I looked at the team sheet, I thought the main objective was to rest the first team squad. I thought a central defence of Hockenhull and Belehouan, who have never played league football, would struggle. Full marks to Nigel for having the confidence to play a team of fringe players including a few newbies and then to trust his assistant to manage the team while he sits in the stand. It will give him a few selection problems for Saturday!

Maybe I am reading too much into it, but does anyone else think that Danns may be under consideration as our next manager, possibly under Nigel's tutelage?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.