• Nigel Adkins has been given the Tranmere job on a permanent basis signing until the end of the 25/26 season. Continue the discussion here.

League Two Swindon (3) v Rovers (1)

Match result

• Swindon

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Tranmere

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Swindon (3) v Rovers (1)
Posted by Ian
County Ground
Tuesday, February 27, 2024 - 07:45 PM
Until: Tuesday, February 27, 2024 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: Europe/London)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: Europe/London

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Revived this thread as the rearranged game is now on Tues night. I've voted lose simply because we are away and I have no confidence in them away from PP.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
A game against an ordinary team but think we will lose 2 1 with an unchanged team

Player
Ged Brennan, Big Steve McNulty,
Manager
Mickey Mellon, Johnny King.
What do I do?
Only one to predict the result, unintentionally.
A draw I think.
But we never do well there.
Have to sit on fence, away record a serious problem.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Think we could get a win it just depends on whether Swindon come at us and we hit them on the break or whether like FGR they play ugly and try nick a win.

Nigel will make changes. Hawkes for Morris I’m sure on the left and perhaps a start for James Norris.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Lose this one and it's 4/5 defeats, with the Stockport win appearing as something of an anomaly. After Swindon, we've got a home game against Sutton fighting for their lives and with the management change making them hard to beat, then a sequence of matches against opponents either in the top 7 or play-off contenders. If we don't pick up something from the next two games, there's the danger we drop right down the table. with what comes after.

It was disconcerting how Nigel came across after the Forest Green game, as it sounded like Rovers were unfortunate to be behind at the break, then felt like very little threat on their goal second half. Yet NA frustrated, whereas disappointment would be the expected reaction to that showing. He needs to look at different ways of approaching deep-sitting teams as the current method isn't working.

Swindon fans don't seem that inspired by Mad Gav, although the structure and work-rate of the side have improved since he replaced Flynn. A lot of issues off the field with club ownership, transfer embargos etc. They do have some obvious goal threats in Austin, the erratic but occasionally brilliant McKirdy and ex-Rover Paul Glatzel, so to get something expect we'll need to find the back of the net at least once.

If Morris is injured, Hawkes the obvious replacement, but wonder if he might be tempted to try James Norris there, given he has featured wide-left for Liverpool. Or Norris left-back and Connor Wood who has played on the wing wide-left. If Brad Walker isn't fit to start again, then time to consider other options that McAlear. Luke Norris clearly well off match fitness, so would hope to see Dennis on the bench as a striking option. Hopefully O'Connor fit to start and picked at right-back, if not then a right-sided player rather than James Norris.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Norris on left of midfield a good shout Boz if Morris injured. I’m a fan of Hawkes but away from home and after FGR Nigel may prefer us being harder to beat.

Swindon have plenty of goal threats. Charlie Austin remains dangerous plus we know about Glatzel. Another ex rover Hepburn-Murphy has plenty of pace and other striking options include Harry McKirdy who scored over 20 goals for the robins a couple of years ago and deadline window signing Drinan.

I can’t see a rovers win but would take a point after Saturdays poor performance

Am on mobile

Player
Muir
Manager
King
It depends on what Rover's team turn up hope for a result but not that hopeful

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
I am beginning to suspect Nigel is making do with players he'd rather not have. He certainly has many he has no use for at all or not this for this season in the case of some younger ones.
He seems quite happy with the back three but maybe not the full backs. Wood may just be the best of the barely adequate, which doesn't say much for Norris and LOC gets subbed too often now. Equally Morris comes off too much, whilst most of us rate both of these long standing regulars, maybe Nigel doesn't. Remember for his first match Nigel dropped Morris completely for not going along with plans, an issue may persist.
The midfield and Jenno in front of it otherwise, seems acceptable to him. He seems loathed to consider anyone beyond McAlear and we can't be sure he is anything above the best of the worst options.
Hawkes couldn't get on ahead of a fatigued Saunders on the left last time out, so his value maybe decreasing.
Obviously until Norris gets match fit, our three inside forwards will fill in which is clearly not ideal. Saunders is now in pole position but as a orthodox striker he may not be. Will be interesting how Jenno is redeployed as he has never looked at his best as a forward.
If Taylor can't come on for Apter late on, our brightest player early season is just redundant now. I have concluded the Norris right back ploy is just a whim or something to placate LFC.
In different hands we may well have gone down. I reckon we have about twelve solid players, Nigel may be down to ten or less. Summer of 22 looks like a sitcom now!
Might not see Norris tonight quick turnaround

Reactions: Ian

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
The concern I have at the moment is an apparent lack of a plan B. The compact 4-4-2 has worked in a number of games and that’s great, but it didn’t on Saturday and Nigel stuck with it.
Maybe that’s because of the players he has but he’s constantly talking about consistency in system and selection. I get that but teams will stop this and we need to find a plan B and win games in different ways.

Reactions: Boz

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Let's see what happens tonight.

bigmart

bigmart
Player
Ian Muir
J Norris, McAlear, Lewis, Hawkes and L Norris all start

dollar'sbloke

Player
morrissey
Manager
king
So four casualties but many unexpected chances so motivation won't be an issue

Ian

Super White!
Admin
Player
Aldo
Manager
Kingy
Wow, didn’t expect that. Little bit concerned we are rushing Norris back, smacks a bit of desperation.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Some bizarre team changes. Norris up front who looked very rusty on Saturday. Lewis alongside him. No Jennings in the squad

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Assume it’s perhaps a 4-1-4-1 with Lewis as a CDM or a 4-5-1.
Jennings got a whack when the FGR player got his second booking so might be injured or just rested.

Boz

Player
Iain Hume
Very strange line -up. Morris probably missing through injury and Walker maybe that or fitness. Jennings might have needed a break but not to be on the bench suggests injury. Wood dropped or something else? Dennis doesn’t even make the bench again, what’s going off there? Is Luke Norris really ready to start after the low-key return at the weekend?
Looking at Swindon’s forward line-up of Glatzel Hepburn-Murphy and Austin think we’ll definitely concede and not confident Rovers will get the two plus goals to be in with a chance of getting something from this one. Post match interview will be interesting

Higgy 2

Player
Dave Higgins
Interest line up. Probably enforced in the main, but a chance to see if there is a plan B embedded. I would assume Nigel will ensure the lads know their roles well enough.
I'll go 2-2. Luke Norris and Hawkes.

Sparky

Player
Chris Greenacre
Very strange line -up. Morris probably missing through injury and Walker maybe that or fitness. Jennings might have needed a break but not to be on the bench suggests injury. Wood dropped or something else? Dennis doesn’t even make the bench again, what’s going off there? Is Luke Norris really ready to start after the low-key return at the weekend?
Looking at Swindon’s forward line-up of Glatzel Hepburn-Murphy and Austin think we’ll definitely concede and not confident Rovers will get the two plus goals to be in with a chance of getting something from this one. Post match interview will be interesting
Walker missing again is getting a bit farcical. On his day he’s excellent but on Saturday he was cumbersome and now not in the squad so injured again? With an out of form Hendry and McAlear not pulling up any trees midfield is an area we need to improve on next season